Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Gaming Laptop Q1 2013

Question "Best" Gaming Laptop Q1 2013

I know gaming and laptop aren't the ideal combination, but it's what I have to go with since a desktop isn't exactly portable and I need to take my laptop with me for work (and then play at home).

I'm looking to play BF3 (and BF4 when it comes out) for hours at a time and I want it to play as close to 60fps as I can get on as high a resolution as the system can handle.

I don't care about 3D but I want a True HD screen (1920x1080) @ 60-120MHz and a BluRay player.

I'm going to play plugged in so I don't care about battery life, and I don't really care how heavy/big the laptop is since it's more desktop replacement than anything else.

I do, however, want a system that doesn't run so hot that it's melting the keys or my fingers.

My budget is $1600-2000 (and yes I know the MSI posted is over that, but it's close).

With that in mind, I'm looking at the following gaming laptop families:

1. Asus G75VW
    2. Samsung Gamer Series 7
    3. MSI GT70

So far, I'm leaning towards the MSI since it has the best stats (GTX680M, i7-3630Q, 16GB RAM, etc.) but it's also the most expensive of the 3.

(Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Corp-.../dp/B009H8RJMS)

I ruled out Alienware since it seems overpriced for what you get AND my friend has had nothing but issues with her new m18x overheating, shutting down and basically being useless even after being sent back to Dell for fan repairs/upgrades.

So, I'm looking for input on which to get and why and/or any alternatives I've overlooked/missed/etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: "Best" Gaming Laptop Q1 2013

Can you even build your own laptop like a desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Can you even build your own laptop like a desktop?
    Probably, I've built my last 5 desktops plus some for friends, but I've never built a laptop.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Probably, I've built my last 5 desktops plus some for friends, but I've never built a laptop.
    Word, I just assume with all the advancements there has to be a way to it given that $2,500 will get you a badass custom built pc I'm guessing

Holy mother of all options lol... They offer everything short of a bathroom on that thing

See I heard Alienware got better after Dell acquired them. Guess not though I have heard more positive things about them as of late...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Nifty. Not as pretty as an Alienware but that doesn't really matter to me.

You ever actually use one of these? Are they as reliable as the othes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    See I heard Alienware got better after Dell acquired them. Guess not though I have heard more positive things about them as of late...
    I think it's hit-or-miss, just like with any Dell product. AW is basically just a Dell with lights and a bump in price for the name.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I had an old Sentia model and that thing was a TANK. Its still going as someone's small business laptop. I've currently got a 3 year old M11x and have been VERY impressed with it. Not the fastest by any means, but it definitely does the job and is perfect for me as it fits in my camelback. I didn't spring for the warranty and they fixed the hinge problem on site a year after my warranty was out.

Unfortunately I know so few people that have them that I couldn't give you any other stories either way.

Nifty. Not as pretty as an Alienware but that doesn't really matter to me.

You ever actually use one of these? Are they as reliable as the othes?
    I've never used one, but they have a good reputation. Personally I would prefer a understated look, I'm sure that all lights and stuff would get old after a week, unless you're a 13 year old boy.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/index....el_name=NP9170

This one is a little cheaper, since it doesn't have 3d. The rest of the specs are the same.

Oh yeah, Asus support completely sucks, there's no other way to put it. Though I really like their motherboards, my current desktop has an asus, I wouldn't want to put a whole laptop under their care. MSI has been ok in my experience, but nothing special

I've built multiple gaming PC's (current is liquid cooled), known a TON of super-nerds in my time and never heard of any one of them "building" a laptop. That sounds like an awesome project though! I'd love to get into something like that but assume it wouldn't be very pretty. Considering how intricate and miniaturized all the internals are, compared to a big PC.

(By build, I mean actual parts build, not choosing options on a laptop.)

Are the Dell/Alienware out of your pricerange? I thought they had some killer ones in the 15"-17" size. I know the uber 19" gaming lappies (if there are many out there) are gonna be $2500 and up though. Iv'e heard good things about the ones listed, MSI, Sager, Alien, etc.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Tue Feb 5th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    https://www.sagernotebook.com/index....el_name=NP9170

This one is a little cheaper, since it doesn't have 3d. The rest of the specs are the same.
    Cool, I hate 3D so I'll check that out. The only advantage to the 3D screen is the 120MHz refresh vs the standard 60MHz, which should mean less ghosting.

Oh yeah, Asus support completely sucks, there's no other way to put it. Though I really like their motherboards, my current desktop has an asus, I wouldn't want to put a whole laptop under their care. MSI has been ok in my experience, but nothing special
    I agree about ASUS. I've an ASUS MB and GPU, and their customer support really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Are the Dell/Alienware out of your pricerange? I thought they had some killer ones in the 15"-17" size. I know the uber 19" gaming lappies (if there are many out there) are gonna be $2500 and up though. Iv'e heard good things about the ones listed, MSI, Sager, Alien, etc.
    I've mixed feelings about Dalienware. A good friend of mine had significant issues with their m17x & m18x and Dell wasn't exactly helpful in getting the problem resolved until it went to the BBB.

And, for the $$, I think Dell/AWs are overpriced. I built a Sager off that link lasp gave me and it was nearly $1k cheaper than the same build on the m17x...

Plus, with Dell, you get to talk to some assfuck in India unless you pay to buy US tech support...and that annoys me.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I've built multiple gaming PC's (current is liquid cooled), known a TON of super-nerds in my time and never heard of any one of them "building" a laptop. That sounds like an awesome project though! I'd love to get into something like that but assume it wouldn't be very pretty. Considering how intricate and miniaturized all the internals are, compared to a big PC.

I've "built" a laptop, about 8 or so years ago, it was an asus whitebox, basically you just bought the chassis and installed the processor, ram, hd etc. It wasn't anything special, but it did save a bit of money. I didn't know they still sold whitebox laptops.

Cool, I hate 3D so I'll check that out. The only advantage to the 3D screen is the 120MHz refresh vs the standard 60MHz, which should mean less ghosting.

I agree about ASUS. I've an ASUS MB and GPU, and their customer support really sucks.

I've mixed feelings about Dalienware. A good friend of mine had significant issues with their m17x & m18x and Dell wasn't exactly helpful in getting the problem resolved until it went to the BBB.

And, for the $$, I think Dell/AWs are overpriced. I built a Sager off that link lasp gave me and it was nearly $1k cheaper than the same build on the m17x...

Plus, with Dell, you get to talk to some assfuck in India unless you pay to buy US tech support...and that annoys me.
    And with the sager you can get a matte screen, which imho is a requirement. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the sager, and I too hate 3d.

I currently have a Sager, about 3 years ago it was a pretty high end laptop. The battery went completely out on it, and although a replacement is just $70, I said fuck it since I always have it plugged in anyways. Now the bad part, over the last few months I lost two columns of pixels. Basically one is pink, another purple, all the time. Drives me crazy to the point I don't use it anymore.

Other than these two problems it's been good. It performed really well for a laptop back in the day, and prices were great for performance. I've just had much better luck with my Dell :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I currently have a Sager, about 3 years ago it was a pretty high end laptop. The battery went completely out on it, and although a replacement is just $70, I said fuck it since I always have it plugged in anyways. Now the bad part, over the last few months I lost two columns of pixels. Basically one is pink, another purple, all the time. Drives me crazy to the point I don't use it anymore.

Other than these two problems it's been good. It performed really well for a laptop back in the day, and prices were great for performance. I've just had much better luck with my Dell :-/
    Interesting given that Clevo makes a lot of the dell products. Especially alienware.

Ever since Dell took over Alienware they turned to crap. Another for your list is the Toshiba 17" rigs. I had one when I was in Florida for work and it was the tits. Altho it did get a little warm

Now the bad part, over the last few months I lost two columns of pixels. Basically one is pink, another purple, all the time. Drives me crazy to the point I don't use it anymore.
    Hmm, that would suck for gaming...though I know Sager/Cleo use various screens, some are better than others (Chinese vs Korean).
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Dafuq have you been?

He moved with dat bitch virginia

Interesting given that Clevo makes a lot of the dell products. Especially alienware.
    Is Clevo bad? We use Dell Armored laptops at work, and I've been fairly impressed with mine. For what I put it through I have surprisingly few issues. And most of our issues end up being physically broken components from the abuse. But it's no gaming machine.

Is Clevo bad? We use Dell Armored laptops at work, and I've been fairly impressed with mine. For what I put it through I have surprisingly few issues. And most of our issues end up being physically broken components from the abuse. But it's no gaming machine.
    Clevo makes Sager as well.