Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops doing what they do best....

Cops doing what they do best....

He gets pulled over @3:28 be sure to watch the rest its obvious this officer does not know how to keep calm and act in a professional manner at all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYlRZAdPGk

Re: Cops doing what they do best....

What a piece of shit dude, giving good cops a bad name right there. Man that enraged me for a few minutes there dude.... arrested for a license plate? arrested? give me a fucking break dude, if I'm pissed I can't believe how this guy felt

Not only that, but grabbing his helmet like that, then you can hear he obviously choked, him because of they way his voice changes, then shoving him into the car?

Wow... can't speak for what they were doing before hand(which I'm sure they were being hooligans), we all know they were. Group that big, you know some Adam Henry was probably doing stunts.

But to arrest him for an obstructed license plate. That's a bit much and excessive. Even when I got pulled over for mine being mounted "inverted" on the swing arm all I got was a ticket and summons to court. All I had to do was show pictures of rectifying the plate and mounting it normal.

I'll have to give it to the guy. His plate was mounted normal and in plain sight.

I think the cops were being a bit over bearing on this one. I mean damn, if you're going to arrest someone. At least make up a better reason that obstructed license plate. I can't count the amount of plates I see on a daily basis while at work, that are either mounted "inverted" on trailers, covered in mud or debris on dump trucks or in places under the bumper that aren't exactly the most visible but definitely readable. Only reason I look at plates so much now, is because of the BS reason I was pulled over for mine and it's just something I always do know.

When I went to court over mine, I took in pictures of other motorist that I snapped with my camera while driving that had inverted license plates. What's funny is several of the trailers we have at work came from the factory with inverted plate mounts and that's the only way to secure them. Most of them are on the rear of the fender as well.

I'm sure the cops were getting tons of calls in about the group of bikes being reckless and the cops were pissed. But damn, even I think this was a bit much..
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Just another power-tripping cop. Denver PD is FULL of them, total douchebags, especially District-2 downtown. Doesn't matter one bit if you're innocent. They KNOW they can do whatever they want and get away with it 99% of the time. They also know most people can't afford a lawyer, or won't bother going that far to defend themselves, so they push their bounds whenever they can. After all, the judge will usually be on their side. TESTOSTERONE FUELED POWER TRIP!

Hope a judge saw that video and realized what a crock of shit that unobstructed plate arrest is. Glad tax dollars are being well utilized on someone that didn't do shit.
    Last edited by Ghosty; Sat Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Seems legit to me. =)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Prior to responding to the biker situation, Westbrook had arrested a drunk driver. Eight of Westbrook's 38 suspension days were related to him leaving his prisoner at the jail without booking him in while he went out on the biker call.

Priorities....

Senior Member Moderator

iirc this was during the same incident that occurred here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tawe9K76LtE or was backlash from it. Cops were looking for any reason to shut these assholes down and I don't blame them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    iirc this was during the same incident that occurred here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tawe9K76LtE or was backlash from it. Cops were looking for any reason to shut these assholes down and I don't blame them either.
    Punish the few who actually did pull over when lit up and followed the law for the actions of the many that didn't. Sounds like a good idea.

You didn't do anything wrong, but I don't like that you look like the rest of the people that have done wrong.

I still blame that sheriff.

From the little but I saw, the plate did not look very obstructed to me :-/

The Officer's conduct was just fine in my opinion, except for the part where he tried to get the helmet off. If the guy doesn't want to tell him how to take it off, I would have just left it on him. That part was the only time in that entire video where the Officer's conduct and attitude was out of line. His safety was poor throughout but that's not something we're discussing here.

However, that's not to say what he did was legal or justified, so a couple things on that. First off, believe it or not, the Officer doesn't have to explain why you're being contacted or arrested. Most Officers will usually tell you though, as there's little reason to hide that information. In my "opening statement" the reason for contact is the second thing I tell you, first being my name and agency. I will hide the information if you are the suspect in another crime, or if I know you have warrants. But just for a traffic violation, never.

I'm led to believe he was honest about the reason for the arrest, as once the guy is in handcuffs there's absolutely no reason to lie. In which case obviously there's no good reason to arrest him. Based on the video I have serious doubts of the legality of the entire contact and the arrest.

If any of you are caught in the same scenario, do yourself a favor and don't argue. Maybe mention your position once, but then stop there. The roadside is not the place for that, and you'll never win. Mention it once, then do what you're told. Because when the Officer told him he was under arrest, and he failed to comply, the force used was completely legal and justified.

On that last part, if he detains him unlawfully from the beginning, how is his force justified when he says he under arrest?

Just seems like a raw deal to just let the officer do whatever and try and figure it out later. Had he not been wearing a camera the outcome of the officer being suspended probably wouldn't have happened.

The supreme courts have ruled that an Officer can legally effect the arrest on a warrant, using the force necessary, even if the contact was illegal. So if he had a warrant, or if the arrest was for something unrelated, it's still legal even though the contact isn't. Regardless of how the subject being arrested feels, when a cop says those words, if you don't comply they can, and do, force you to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The supreme courts have ruled that an Officer can legally effect the arrest on a warrant, using the force necessary, even if the contact was illegal. So if he had a warrant, or if the arrest was for something unrelated, it's still legal even though the contact isn't. Regardless of how the subject being arrested feels, when a cop says those words, if you don't comply they can, and do, force you to.
    So what you're saying is they can do whatever they want even if wrong... Yep sounds like the government alright *rollseyes*

If any of you are caught in the same scenario, do yourself a favor and don't argue. Maybe mention your position once, but then stop there. The roadside is not the place for that, and you'll never win. Mention it once, then do what you're told. Because when the Officer told him he was under arrest, and he failed to comply, the force used was completely legal and justified.
    Every lawyer in the world will tell you this. Keep your mouth shut. The place to state your case is in the court room not the side of the road.
    Aaron I still say it takes balls for you to come on here and give an educated, opposing view to us "cop haters".
    Thanks man.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    So what you're saying is they can do whatever they want even if wrong... Yep sounds like the government alright *rollseyes*
    Not at all. But the time and place to argue that isn't on the roadside. You'll lose there, every time.

And just because his reason for contact is illegal, doesn't mean he can't arrest you legally. It just limits what he can arrest you for, which is mainly just warrants or an unrelated criminal act that you're the suspect of. Any arrest stemming from that contact, whether it be a minor traffic violation, DUI, or even a drug/weapon offense could get tossed.

Thanks Cornfed, I'm sure one of these days it'll bite me in the ass.

Aaron can the argument be made that its not in the best professional manner for other officers to tell him to "shut up" and shove them in the vehicle slamming the door when they pose no real threat? Actions speak louder than words and the perp enforced no action he was merely talking. I fail to see how stating your argument is ruly of being treated the way he was, or do cops not care about our first amendment rights when they are being excercised well within the law?

There is no law for our lawmakers dude, all of them are above us and do what they want just because of their credentials. We just need to get that through our heads, it will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Aaron can the argument be made that its not in the best professional manner for other officers to tell him to "shut up" and shove them in the vehicle slamming the door when they pose no real threat? Actions speak louder than words and the perp enforced no action he was merely talking. I fail to see how stating your argument is ruly of being treated the way he was, or do cops not care about our first amendment rights when they are being excercised well within the law?
    The "Shut up" coomment may not have been professional, but at the time the Officers are involved in a forceful arrest, and their aggressive language prevented further force from being needed in order to effect the arrest. We often cuss when forcing people to do something, it's an effective tool that can prevent situations from escalating, force being used, and people getting hurt.

The Officer told him, politely, to have a seat 5 times, the last time even telling him "I'm going to tell you once more." At that point in the contact, S didn't have many of his constitutional rights. He wasn't free to leave, he wasn't free to stand in the Dallas sun all day long. Like the arrest, it's have a seat or I'll make you have a seat. He can talk all he wants, but not when he's refusing to follow lawful commands to get in the car at the same time.

I think the Officer did a fantastic job of staying calm to be honest with you. Most of you all won't understand because you've never been in the situation from the Officer's point of view, but after every forceful event in this contact, he quickly calmed right back down. The only time he continued to use aggression was slamming the door, which is harmless. And immediately after, he has his composure again.

I think his reason for contact and arrest was not legal from the video alone. But for his conduct, there are absolutely no problems with it, and he gives S more chances to comply than I would have.

There is no law for our lawmakers dude, all of them are above us and do what they want just because of their credentials. We just need to get that through our heads, it will never change.
    I realize how and why you feel this way, but you really couldn't be more wrong. You just don't see what happens afterwards. We all make mistakes, cops are people too.

When you fuck up at work, your boss yells at you. When cops fuck up at work, their bosses yell at them. And IA investigation is opened. Several memo's, reports, and interviews take place. Cop gets reprimanded, in this case 38 days without pay. That's roughly 2 months. That's huge. Imagine figuring out, with little to no notice, how you're going to make your house/car payments for 2 months without any income, and still feed your family? Not to mention losing 2 months means losing all of your insurance packages for 2 months. And after all of this, you're notified the DA is pressing Official Misconduct charges. Yes, cops can be criminally charged and are fairly often. I've seen 5 criminally charged for something in my time.

Is it still a lawful command when being unlawfully detained?
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Senior Member Moderator

The problem is that the motorcycle riders in Dallas are doing the exact same thing. It has to be asked, what exactly are law enforcement officials to do in order to stop this behavior? Many riders, not all, in that city seem to think they are entitled to disobey the law because, due to policies such as do not pursue, they can get away with it. If this type of behavior continues, it does not bode well for ANY of us.

If riders are able to commit crimes and evade justice, eventually motorcycles will fall under the chopping block of legislation. Look at gun regulation if you need a point of reference. It only takes a few bad eggs to ruin it for the rest of us. This is something none of us should want. If motorcycles come to be considered tools for criminals to escape capture, lawmakers will be forced to act. What if Dallas enacts a motorcycle ban, how long before the state follows suit, which then leads to other states doing the same, and eventually becoming national legislation?

Most of us here understand that sometimes you have to pay to play. We try our best to improve the image of sportbike riders. We're fighting a losing war if we also have no respect for the law or its officers. A number of us have come face to face with officers that hate our hobby. It's unfair, but don't blame the cops, blame the assholes giving us a bad name. If we want to keep our sport alive, it's going to require us to remember that it is a privilege, not a right. When we're caught breaking the law, take the hit, it's only fair.

Granted, it's possible that this rider may not have done something wrong. I highly doubt it since it's a very rare rider who adheres to every rule of the road. But if he has video evidence which could help law enforcement agencies render justice to those that think they can do as they please, then I'm all for it being done.

I realize how and why you feel this way, but you really couldn't be more wrong. You just don't see what happens afterwards. We all make mistakes, cops are people too.

When you fuck up at work, your boss yells at you. When cops fuck up at work, their bosses yell at them. And IA investigation is opened. Several memo's, reports, and interviews take place. Cop gets reprimanded, in this case 38 days without pay. That's roughly 2 months. That's huge. Imagine figuring out, with little to no notice, how you're going to make your house/car payments for 2 months without any income, and still feed your family? Not to mention losing 2 months means losing all of your insurance packages for 2 months. And after all of this, you're notified the DA is pressing Official Misconduct charges. Yes, cops can be criminally charged and are fairly often. I've seen 5 criminally charged for something in my time.
    It's one thing when you fuck up as an honest human being, but when our government does it on purpose to fuck the rest it's a completely differen story bro, that's what my point is. Yea I dk what you guys put up with and through each day, I sure am thankful for those honest and good cops that do put their lives on the line everyday so that we're safer but that doesn't eliminate the fact that pieces of shit exist everywhere... I don't think this cop had any good reason to do what he did personally and was a rude piece of shit.

In this case, no, but that's something we know after the fact. At the time, the suspect had no standing to argue or resist. Even if it is eventually found to be unlawful, he still has to comply at the time. The Officer shouldn't have done what he did, but that is something that is taken care of after, in court, administrative discipline, and criminal charges.

Had the suspect had a warrant, but that video still being identical (So Officer didn't advise him of the warrant), it would've been legal for the Officer, and suspect still resisted arrest. Now the contact was still illegal, thus he is subject to administrative discipline and potentially (Though unlikely) criminal charges, the forceful arrest was legal.

It's one thing when you fuck up as an honest human being, but when our government does it on purpose to fuck the rest it's a completely differen story bro, that's what my point is. Yea I dk what you guys put up with and through each day, I sure am thankful for those honest and good cops that do put their lives on the line everyday so that we're safer but that doesn't eliminate the fact that pieces of shit exist everywhere... I don't think this cop had any good reason to do what he did personally and was a rude piece of shit.
    From what I gather from the video, he had no good reason at all, and that's a problem. But rude? Not at all. He should not have arrested (Or stopped for that matter), but once he made that decision, he appropriately and professionally followed through with it. Had the arrest been legal, the manner in which it was done was nearly perfect.