Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional Security when not garaged - recommendations?

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Additional Security when not garaged - recommendations?

So since it's been forever and a day since I had a bike that I cared about, and intend to become more social because I do have one now,...

What are some portable protection measures recommended for when you're out and about? Is a Disc Lock still the most recommended option for on-street parking when you might not have a view of your ride, or have there been any new / interesting reasonably priced and portable options come to market in the last 8 years that I am unaware of?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Additional Security when not garaged - recommendations?

As it's been talked about before even with disc locks they'll still be able to lift the thing up in between a few guys and take it away. As far as other stuff there is lo-jack and alarms with tilt sensors and such

+1 what Damir said. Otherwise definitely try to squeeze it in your garage somehow. Even if you have to do a 10-point turn to park it sideways against the backwall after taking your car out and back in, or between the car and door.

Seriously, remember ALL those bike thefts last Summer? Ugh, no thanks!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I'm not worried about it being stolen out of the garage...
    I'm an extraordinarily light sleeper and any time that door goes up I wake up.

I'm more concerned about the "meeting some people" social situation somewhere and leaving the bike in a lot or such that is completely unattended and ripe for the picking.

Clearly the best solution is park it where you can see it - but that's not always possible. Looks like - after reading the threads (thanks Jim) it boils down to the fact is that unless you've got money to burn on a tracking device, or a bloated alarm, or insane money on that British chain / lock system, the best you can do is maybe delay a determined thief or group of thieves if they have the means to pick it up and throw it in a truck.

Well... I guess that's what insurance is for, right?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I'm not worried about it being stolen out of the garage...
    I'm an extraordinarily light sleeper and any time that door goes up I wake up.

I'm more concerned about the "meeting some people" social situation somewhere and leaving the bike in a lot or such that is completely unattended and ripe for the picking.

Clearly the best solution is park it where you can see it - but that's not always possible. Looks like - after reading the threads (thanks Jim) it boils down to the fact is that unless you've got money to burn on a tracking device, or a bloated alarm, or insane money on that British chain / lock system, the best you can do is maybe delay a determined thief or group of thieves if they have the means to pick it up and throw it in a truck.

Well... I guess that's what insurance is for, right?
    I wouldn't worry about parking it at a restaurant or something if that's your concern. Most thefts are by someone you know, not by some random stranger walking by. I know it can happen, but it's going to be pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    I wouldn't worry about parking it at a restaurant or something if that's your concern. Most thefts are by someone you know, not by some random stranger walking by. I know it can happen, but it's going to be pretty rare.
    So basically I should distrust all you theive'n bastages and keep my firearms at the ready removing any feelings of friendship when I put two in the chest and one in the head?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

whoahhh...

Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

So basically I should distrust all you theive'n bastages and keep my firearms at the ready removing any feelings of friendship when I put two in the chest and one in the head?
    Then we could visit Vance in prison when he realizes he is getting charged for murder over a motorcycle being stolen in a parking lot

Damn...how much training does it take to become this badass; 3rd degree black belt trigger finger!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    +1 what Damir said. Otherwise definitely try to squeeze it in your garage somehow. Even if you have to do a 10-point turn to park it sideways against the backwall after taking your car out and back in, or between the car and door.

Seriously, remember ALL those bike thefts last Summer? Ugh, no thanks!
    Yea those thefts were out of control, mainly in the springs. Here not so much but Mick's Gixxer did get stolen not too far from where I used to live so that raises worry for sure as far as safe areas. Hell they'll steal your shit at a random shopping center or even street parking as we saw with those dudes on that mini van just jacked that bike off the street in plain daylight with no hassle.

I use to pull the fuse box when I lived at an apartment complex. Have the bike stolen once while I was there, they made it a block before the abandoned it.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Then we could visit Vance in prison when he realizes he is getting charged for murder over a motorcycle being stolen in a parking lot

Damn...how much training does it take to become this badass; 3rd degree black belt trigger finger!
    It's the interwebs... it takes a fast QWERTY reaction time and a general disposition to talk shit with no regard for consequences or rationality to what was said previously.

CSC... we know testosterone, talking shit, inflaming the situation drama!

CSC... we know testosterone, talking shit, inflaming the situation guns!
    Fixed....Colorado Shooters Club

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

What's your address again? I forgot.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

this thread delivers..... security

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    What's your address again? I forgot.
    The bike will be at:
    1060 W Addison St
    Chicago, IL 60613

The bike will be at:
    1060 W Addison St
    Chicago, IL 60613
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1060+W+Addison+...o%2C+IL+60613+

what you did there, I see it
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Board Newbie

Here is what I use and it is very cool..works great and gives me piece of mind knowing I can see where my bike is 24/7. Disc locks along with chains are ONLY a slight detorent as in most bike thefts, the bike is picked up and thrown in back of truck or trailer....locks and chains are easily cut anyway.....I get text and emails when my bike is moved and can track it and see where it is anytime on my phone or computer....it has a motion sensor that detects movement..does lots of other things too but thought I would throw it out if anyone wants to protect their bike and feel secure in doing so>>> www.finditnowusa.com

I have a Scorpio I800 and it works great. It has a motion sensor that you can make so sensitive that you can't walk within five feet of the bike.

When I travelled for three weeks a couple of years ago I stayed at some pretty crappy hotels and left the bike parked outside with little worry. Worst case I figured, is that they would try to take it, alarm would go off, and then they would drop it.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Let me start this off by saying that I love my gsxr. Probably the best bike I've ever owned, and I would hate to see it gone.

My security is full coverage insurance, with very low deductibles. If somebody walks off with my bike, yeah I'll be pissed, but I'll get another one just like it, but newer if its not found. If it is found, i'll be out 250 bucks to get it fully repaired. For me this is a better alternative to putting alarms/disc locks etc on my bike
    2011 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by DiddysR6 View Post
    Let me start this off by saying that I love my gsxr. Probably the best bike I've ever owned, and I would hate to see it gone.

My security is full coverage insurance, with very low deductibles. If somebody walks off with my bike, yeah I'll be pissed, but I'll get another one just like it, but newer if its not found. If it is found, i'll be out 250 bucks to get it fully repaired. For me this is a better alternative to putting alarms/disc locks etc on my bike
    Reason why they're a bit more expensive to insure too is because it's the most wrecked/stolen bike in the world lol... but yea full coverage is the way to go.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by DiddysR6 View Post

Its a different story if you sport tour. Last thing you want is to walk out of your hotel in the middle of know where and find your only ride missing.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Its a different story if you sport tour. Last thing you want is to walk out of your hotel in the middle of know where and find your only ride missing.

Call Enterprise, They'll pick you up!

That is a good point though, I don't do much traveling on the ole gixer other than up through the canyons, it would suck to be in the middle of nowhere and have no bike
    2011 GSXR 750