Thread: How do you slow down?

Re: How do you slow down?

i was told jump off and roll to a stop
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Gold Member

Oh or my feet like my bmx bike because i was too lazy to fix my cable. Flintstones stop for ftmfw!

Kickstand.

Who needs brake lights when you're shooting sparks everywhere?

Ok, since the OP is asking a real question, I'll try to shed some light on the subject...

Slowing down for normal, everyday riding- yeah, sure, shut the throttle, maybe some brakes. Whatever.

Braking at the limit is something totally different. Like an emergency situation.

The modern sportbike has the ability to transfer all of its weight to the front tire- literally lifting the rear wheel off the ground. When this happens, or nearly happens, the rear wheel can't support any braking force- so it would just lock up- and go sideways. Which can be difficult to control in a panic situation. (The SuMo is something TOTALLY different. )

So a lot of times on a modern sportbike, we riders primarily use only the front brake. So in a panic situation on a sportbike, it's best to do what you practice- maybe use the front brake only, pulling in the clutch, and ignoring the rear brake. When you have plenty of traction on dry roads. But it's best to practice. And simply pulling in the clutch is often the best. A lot of times the throttle gets left on a little bit, which can be bad when you're trying to stop.

On a bike like the Ducati Monster, there's a lot of weight on the rear wheel, so we can actually use the rear brake to good effect. Harleys, too.

So, like everything, it depends.

Anecdotal evidence; fast guy that used to ride here, Aaron Clark, front brake only. Never went through a set of rear pads on the road race bike.
    Last edited by irdave; Sun Feb 17th, 2013 at 12:26 AM.
    dave.
    "Helping motorcycles live up to their potential."
    www.STMSuspension.com

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by irdave View Post
    Ok, since the OP is asking a real question, I'll try to shed some light on the subject...

Slowing down for normal, everyday riding- yeah, sure, shut the throttle, maybe some brakes. Whatever.

Braking at the limit is something totally different. Like an emergency situation.

The modern sportbike has the ability to transfer all of its weight to the front tire- literally lifting the rear wheel off the ground. When this happens, or nearly happens, the rear wheel can't support any braking force- so it would just lock up- and go sideways. Which can be difficult to control in a panic situation. (The SuMo is something TOTALLY different. )

So a lot of times on a modern sportbike, we riders primarily use only the front brake. So in a panic situation on a sportbike, it's best to do what you practice- maybe use the front brake only, pulling in the clutch, and ignoring the rear brake. When you have plenty of traction on dry roads. But it's best to practice. And simply pulling in the clutch is often the best. A lot of times the throttle gets left on a little bit, which can be bad when you're trying to stop.

On a bike like the Ducati Monster, there's a lot of weight on the rear wheel, so we can actually use the rear brake to good effect. Harleys, too.

So, like everything, it depends.

Anecdotal evidence; fast guy that used to ride here, Aaron Clark, front brake only. Never went through a set of rear pads on the road race bike.

Did you really just make a long post and not only not really cover anything but say the same shit as the first twenty posts?

Lets be honest...20 posts on CSC generally contain less cumulative useful information than a weather forcast....

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    This started quite a thread over on kawiforums, with a know-it-all Brit coming in saying you should just brake while keeping the engine revved a little and downshifting as you slow down. To me that sounds pretty stupid. Easy to screw up if you need to get out of there and drop the clutch on a revved motor.

What do y'all do?
    There's nothing wrong with a properly-executed trail-braking technique. As others have said... it all depends upon the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a properly-executed trail-braking technique. As others have said... it all depends upon the situation.
    Umm, I never said there was???
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Gold Member

I think your question is being over thought and being read as "hi im new how do i stop a sport bike?".

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    I think your question is being over thought and being read as "hi im new how do i stop a sport bike?".
    Hey Clownie. You have no clue who irdave is or his credentials so STFU. Dumb fuck
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Gold Member

You need your diaper changed old man? How about a nap? And my last post wasnt referring to dave so dont assume shit dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    You need your diaper changed old man? How about a nap? And my last post wasnt referring to dave so dont assume shit dumbass.

What every thread on the CSC eventually degrades to...

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Lol

From a Drag strip point of view, let off throttle, wait till bike slows to 150mph and sit up, when down to 130 mph tap rear brake, than its safe to use both brakes
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Hey Clownie. You have no clue who irdave is or his credentials so STFU. Dumb fuck
    gonna have to agree here, Dave is a walking encycyopedia devoted to suspension and braking(prolly lots of other things too)
    he also is a nice enough guy to share his knowledge, many times for free
    he is a fantastic resource and i look forward to any chance i get to "talk shop" with him
    he doesnt need to smacktalk on a forum to impress anybody because there is generally a line of talented riders waiting for his help and advise at the track

From a "by the book" standard since I just passed BRC today , you're not suppose to use engine braking, use both brakes at the same time and try not to lock the brakes. But engine braking is fine as long as you match engine/road speed.
    06 GSXR 750

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by gsxridiot View Post
    gonna have to agree here, Dave is a walking encycyopedia devoted to suspension and braking(prolly lots of other things too)
    he also is a nice enough guy to share his knowledge, many times for free
    he is a fantastic resource and i look forward to any chance i get to "talk shop" with him
    he doesnt need to smacktalk on a forum to impress anybody because there is generally a line of talented riders waiting for his help and advise at the track
    Okay and to i will say the same thing. That post i was to wrider. He was responding to another post about not saying anything wrong about trail braking. My first response to dave was about not reading the first twenty posts that all said the same thing. He might be everything you guys say but if a conversation cant be kept up with you still look foolish. Kind of like you and ninja. You guys are assuming that post was in reference to dave some how. Why? Not sure, the only thing i can think is you guys are also not following the thread. Assuming will only make a ass out of yourselves. Simmer down guys im not bashing on dave. I gave him shit for wasting his time with a long post to only say what everyone else has already said. Im sure he can defend himself just fine if he needs to. In this case he doesnt, so simmer down.

"Dumb fuck"

FWIW I meant just everyday slowing down while riding in town kind of slowing down.

When I'm slowing down for a corner, it's definitely still in gear, using brakes.

When I'm emergency stopping I'm braking with the clutch in, downshifting as I go, not engine braking.

Am I the only one here who rarely uses my rear brake (basically emergency only)?
    I'll toss in my $.02 since the thread has derailed...like most technique/useful threads on this forum. Personally, if irdave is giving some tips relating to how the bike is going to handle, I tend to listen.

When I had my R6/CBR1k, I only used the front brake. I didn't feel like the bikes had much engine braking, so you had to go for the brakes. I only used the rear in panic stops or in very slow moving traffic (to give my hand a rest). It states you have a 05 Z750S, which is an inline 4, right? I'm guessing there's not a ton of engine braking either?

Now I ride a KTM950Adv with a twin, and it has a boat-load of engine braking. I let the bike do most of the work, unless I'm keeping a good pace in the canyon. But with my current bike, I also use the rear brake more because the front suspension is softer then a supersport, so the front has more tendency to dive if you're hard on the brakes going into a corner on pavement.

This thread delivers!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Depends on the type of riding and the bike being ridden.
    This is the best answer to a poorly posed question. There are many things that need to be clarified in order to answer the question "how do you slow down?" The answer might be front brake, back brake, front+back brake, engine braking, some other combination, or none of the above. The best approach is to learn what your bike and you can do, understand when to use various techniques, and practice them over and over. There are some very experienced riders posting in this thread, and if the thread can stay on track, it could be very useful for newer riders. A better-posed question with more specifics could do that. Paint a specific situation and let's discuss it.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I guess I should have been more specific... I'll reopen this thread with "How do you slow down in a non-emergency situation on the street while riding like you normally do?"
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I guess I should have been more specific... I'll reopen this thread with "How do you slow down in a non-emergency situation on the street while riding like you normally do?"
    Don't forget if you have a v twin or inline. Or if its wet out. Or if the humidity is about 22.4%

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    Don't forget if you have a v twin or inline. Or if its wet out. Or if the humidity is about 22.4%
    V4, boxer..... up hill or downhill?
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold