Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101718192021 LastLast

Thread: Winter buster ride, Sunday March 3rd

Re: Winter buster ride, Sunday March 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Nope, you did. He and his girl were at our table.
    Must be getting old I can't remember shit!

Been busy at my first week at work and just caught up with what happened. Very sorry to hear about the crash and hope the young man recovers soon. I was young once and am lucky to have lived through that period and hope this young man has the same chance I had to live and learn.

On a happier note, I enjoyed the ride and look forward to many more with CSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Must be getting old I can't remember shit!
    Certainly not sending my tail scraping wheelie videos.

with all the free time on your hands laid up there on your back I thought I would share some inspirational media I enjoy that I hope you find helpful as well.

http://www.entreleadership.com/home/

search for the podcast.

The one from Tuesday November 22nd 2011 might be a great one to start with.

Double dog dare ya
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I've been following this now very long thread ever since I started coming back into this forum (after getting my new K13S). I really wanted to make this ride and meet some of you guys, but honey-dos and other shit almost always keeps me off the bike on weekends (causing me to be more of a weekday rider).

It's been very interesting, to say the least, to read/follow this thread... from the comments pre-ride, to the initial descriptions of YamahaRider22's accident, and all the "noob" vs. "experienced" rider discussion in between.

I've been holding off on commenting and making a knee-jerk statement... again, it was way more interesting just reading along, getting a sense of the general attitudes towards safety.

With that said, I now figure something of value to throw out for discussion would be this:

What do you fine gentlemen think about the impression such a large group of riders has on the locals in the area where the pack rides, the cagers, the LEOs, etc? Do you think it's possible that you can come across as "hooligans" that are disorganized and a danger to yourselves and others? What, if anything, could be done to improve the general impression such a large group of sport bikes can make when you're all riding together? When organizing such a big ride, should more thought be put into pre-ride organization; ie: establishing groups, group leaders, basic rules for the ride?

Forgive me if this has been discussed. I've had a login to this forum since 2009, but haven't been very active on it and haven't had the chance to dig into the older posts. And, to clarify: I'm NOT against large group rides, but I've only been part of one since I started riding again in 2007, so I'm really interested in what you senior members/experienced group riders have to say on the subject.

Thanks and keep the rubber on the tar
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ400E (Plated)
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1975 Honda CB500T "Clubman"
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

The "Group" ride went very well, this was a smaller group AFTER the "Group" ride... All and all it was very organized and without a hitch! Group got split up a few times, but it seemed as good if not better then most I've seen / been on. Other then one or two aggressive "Cagers" but this was JMO - I was in the back and kinda picked up the third Sweep spot while our other two sweepers were helping out a "Newbe"
    Last edited by DemonRider; Sat Mar 9th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
    <snip> Do you think it's possible that you can come across as "hooligans" that are disorganized and a danger to yourselves and others?<snip>
    Yes - reference the photo outside OB and remove all doubt after Boulder County SO showed up Hwy 7 is rapidly becoming a cops patrol paradise
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
    What do you fine gentlemen think about the impression such a large group of riders has on the locals in the area where the pack rides, the cagers, the LEOs, etc? Do you think it's possible that you can come across as "hooligans" that are disorganized and a danger to yourselves and others? What, if anything, could be done to improve the general impression such a large group of sport bikes can make when you're all riding together? When organizing such a big ride, should more thought be put into pre-ride organization; ie: establishing groups, group leaders, basic rules for the ride?

Thanks and keep the rubber on the tar
    You bring up a good point! There is no doubt that a large group like that comes across to cagers as disorganized, annoying, danger to everybody to traffic, etc.
    For the most part the group was well behaving, except for two instances 1)somebody pulling wheelies in traffic 2) riding on the left lane packed on hwy 36 at speeds varying from 40-80mph, causing cagers to swerve left and right getting pissed off.

Solving these two issues would make it appear much more organized, safe, and drawing less attention from cops, etc.

Who in their right mind would pull of wheelies during a group ride? That was incredible irresponsible. This is why these hooligan shenanigans do not belong with such a conservative group of adults. Hooligans and "shenaniganary" is just trouble. In my opinion, of course.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol a095 View Post
    Who in their right mind would pull of wheelies during a group ride? That was incredible irresponsible. This is why these hooligan shenanigans do not belong with such a conservative group of adults. Hooligans and "shenaniganary" is just trouble. In my opinion, of course.
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I'm going to pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I'm going to pistol whip the next person that says shenanigans
    Start hitting yourself cuz I made you say it!
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I'm having lunch at shenaniganz.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

well i ain't got a gun so sol there for me .... carry on, I'm bored at work watching old moto gp races lol

I agree, there is just no room for this type of crap and it needs to be stopped now!

Well, we definitely know it wasn't you doing them.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Well, we definitely know it wasn't you doing them.
    Zach, don't be mad because I have a bike that runs without flat tires. I don't involve myself in such "shenaniganary".
    Last edited by Repsol a095; Sat Mar 9th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRider View Post
    I was in the back and kinda picked up the third Sweep spot while our other two sweepers were helping out a "Newbe"
    The Newbe was me and I appropriate the two sweepers.

2008 GSX650F
    2012 Azera, 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 300M,
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

Talking Re: Winter buster ride, Sunday March 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by moep View Post
    The Newbe was me and I appropriate the two sweepers.

No offense indended, I am still kinda new myself, sure hope you had fun and I'm not much of a "Teacher" but we can always go out for a ride anytime ----
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRider View Post

No offense indended, I am still kinda new myself, sure hope you had fun and I'm not much of a "Teacher" but we can always go out for a ride anytime ----
    No offense taken at all. I had a great time. I am still having issues with maneuvering in small areas. I am going to Full Throttle one day, when they have time and ride around in their parking lot.

When the weather gets nice, I would love to spend time with you guys to learn more.

2008 GSX650F
    2012 Azera, 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 300M,
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

I posted up some pics from the ride here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEhnPfP
    Charles Nevle
    08 FZ1
    07 WR450F

I'm on a bus on a psychedelic trip, reading murder books and trying to stay hip.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    so very glad to hear you're alright man.

however I really can't help but shake my head a little at:
    {snip}I chose to pass a guy (my friend) who I didn't think belonged there and lost control of my bike. How dare he ride near me.{snip}

When I started reading the tone of the story, I thought it was going to end with a bad pass by the friend causing the crash. But crazy plot twist how the only relevance Jay had to the crash, was getting you help afterword.

Seriously though - very happy you've survived and now have the chance to grow up.
    It was more that Jay had been behind me up until that point and then chose to stuff it in front of me knowing he was be preventing me from from keeping up with the other folks in front of me. A dick move is what that's called where I come from.

Don't get me wrong about him helping me afterwards either, than was extremely appreciated.

So if you were sitting in a hospital then rehab facility for months because you're friend had been riding a little dick-ihsly, you'll proably be slirkly irked at him too regardless of the actual blame of the mistake belonging to you.
    Last edited by YamahaRider22; Mon Mar 11th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
    2005 Ugly Blue (matching Silver coming this summer) NaKeD FZ6: Shatty headlight and ghetto rigged speedo mount (soon to be replaced with silver FZ16 headlight assembly), bar end and frame sliders, removed fairings, Two Brothers sreamin' full exhaust system, tidy license place holder/rear blinkers)

2007 Charcoal R6 (SOLD)!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRider22 View Post
    It was more that Jay had been behind me up until that point and then chose to stuff it in front of me knowing he was be preventing me from from keeping up with the other folks in front of me. A dick move is what that's called where I come from.

Don't get me wrong about him helping me afterwards either, than was extremely appreciated.

So if you were sitting in a hospital then rehab facility for months because you're friend had been riding a little dick-ihsly, you'll proably be slirkly irked at him too regardless of the actual blame of the mistake belonging to you.
    Ownership is everything. Get well soon.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRider22 View Post

Keeping up is not the most important thing in the world, being safe and making smart maneuvers is. Should have jut let him stay in front of you then slapped him upside the head when you guys got to the top.

Heal up focus on your rehab and get back on two.