Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

After going through the posts in the group ride thread this weekend, it made me think about the learning process for riding and how we, the sportbike community, could do something to help new riders develop the skills necessary to ride more safely and be able to enjoy the sport more. I must admit that reading the thread as the weekend approached, I was willing to bet that there would be a crash. Many haven't been riding in months, the roads can be dirty this time of year, etc. and the excitement of the first warm day with a bunch of other riders historically leads to at least one person crashing.

Motorcycling is too fun for crashing and getting hurt, and with sportbikes it seems that many crashes are due to people riding past their skill level. Now, there are many people in this club who have been riding for a long time and have learned valuable things about how to have fun riding on the street while minimizing the risks, myself included. So, I asked myself how we could come up with a way of getting those skills from the heads of the experienced riders into those of the new ones with real riding feedback, not simply posts on the forums. The following is my initial idea of how to achieve that.

1) First, recognize that learning how to ride is the most important thing you can do to become a better rider. Aftermarket exhausts and fender eliminators might be cool, but they do nothing to make you a better rider. Invest your money in things like training, good suspension setup, making sure your brakes and tires are in good shape, quality gear, etc before you go spending money on bling.

2) For new riders, I very strongly recommend that you take the MSF Basic Rider Course (BRC). You will learn some very important things in that course. In fact, my first "put your money where your mouth is" action will be this: if you take the BRC from Bob Hasenhundl (Spiderman here on the CSC) or Jim Wilson (UglyDogRacing) though ABATE, I will pay for half of the cost of the course for five people per month. I'll look into a way of setting up a fund so that others can contribute if they can. I may add to the list of instructors as time goes along, but I want to confine this effort to the CSC. I'm saying that I'll pay half to help with cost, but I also want you to pay some of it as your recognition that training is important. If you can afford to pay for all of it, please do, so we can help more people.

3) Once you have taken the BRC (required), I will spend time riding with small groups (5 or less) on the street, and perhaps the track, working with you to improve your skills and hopefully impart some important lessons that I have learned in 30 years of riding, both street and track. I envision these rides occurring on weekends once or twice a month, and perhaps occasionally during the week for those whom weekends are difficult. Evening rides after work would also be possible. There will be no cost for this other than having your bike ready to go. I will have at least one other experienced rider with me and there will be plenty of individualized "we show and you do" on these rides. The atmosphere will be relaxed, there will be lots of time for questions, riding, and feedback.

I had the good fortune when starting out to get feedback from experienced riders, several of whom had raced for years. I have been helping new riders sporadically for a while, but this will formalize it a bit more. So, let's have some feedback. Specifically:

1) New/Newish riders: would you participate?

2) Would there be many people willing to donate even a small amount to helping people pay for the BRC?

Let's start helping each other out more and see if we can reduce the crashes and injuries.
    Last edited by dirkterrell; Mon Mar 4th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

I've been riding for 5 years now, but could definitely benefit from something of this sort. I'd be willing to contribute to the fund for the brc.

If you set up a paypal account I'll throw in a few bucks. I've led a few noob-ish riders some time ago and would be willing to do so again (later in the spring, when I get out of my fracture boot)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    If you set up a paypal account I'll throw in a few bucks. I've led a few noob-ish riders some time ago and would be willing to do so again
    I would and I would.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I'd be willing to help out in any way I can, especially out at the track since I'm just racing now and don't have a street bike.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Down to help with funds and seat time.

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

I'm happy to kick in to the fund and sweep for you when available. I wholly agree with funding Abate managed classes, even though I've participated in others due to schedule conflicts on advanced classes. Take every opportunity to train when it comes to riding a sport bike. I know my Total Control class saved my life when a pick up truck banged out a u-turn in front of me on peak to peak highway. Riding at speed isn't the only thing to worry about. Most accidents are mitigated by external factors.
    How you deal with them determines your outcome.

It's likely that Terry at Abate has a way for us to contribute to this so that it remains 'tax sheltered' and within .org compliance. I'll ping her and alert her to this to see if she's willing to put some time in on it. I respect that she's very busy taking care of all of us already.

MV Agusta F4 Brutale 1078rr
    2012 CBR1000rr Anniversary Edition

"keep your words soft and sweet as one day you may have to eat them" -Chuck

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Dirk -

I'm in.

I will donate funds and a couple of on-track coaching sessions through Chicane this summer for interested / qualified candidates.

Scott

good on you Dirk.
    I will contribute both time and money towards this cause
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

+1 donate
    2009 ZX10R Xxxx miles and counting
    2009 FZ6 10ooo miles ridden-sold

Even though I have been riding since I was 13, I haven't ridden in over 15 years. I bought a new bike a month or so ago and had it delivered to my house. The bike sat at my house, until I took the 2 day class at Full Throttle (this is not an advertisement for them). After having about 9 hours of class time and 9 hours of riding time, then and only then I took the bike out. The class was $99.00 with a coupon and well worth it. IMO, I learned more in the two days, then I did in all the years of riding. I had to break some old bad habits and learned the proper and safe way to ride.

2008 GSX650F
    2012 Azera, 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 300M,
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

Awesome thread. Awesome gesture.

I hope that the "newbs" are honest and forthcoming enough to put themselves in such a group.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I envision the first course something like this!

be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Can someone give me a synapsis of what happened on the Winter Buster ride, without having to read the entire thread? Please keep it clean and to the facts, heh. Danke'.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I will gladly donate $ to this cause.

And I would love to get on a track for the first time and get some coaching as opposed to just going out there blind.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    I envision the first course something like this!

I see a harlem shake vid coming on

I would love to donate to this cause!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Can someone give me a synapsis of what happened on the Winter Buster ride, without having to read the entire thread? Please keep it clean and to the facts, heh. Danke'.
    Noob ran wide. Bounced off some rocks. Life flighted out.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Oh no! Guess I will read it afterall. Glad they didn't die, eek!

(hence why I take curves well WITHIN my current skill level)
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

EDIT: Let me correct that --- I am not new nor a noob - but the time off a sport bike has me seriously lacking in skills and I feel this course of action would be brilliant for me to get my skills and confidence back up to where it was before.

Count me in / let me know when it comes to fruition!
    Last edited by Vance; Mon Mar 4th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Didn't we have something along these lines, although not as well thought out and supported in the Rider Mentoring a couple years back?

Great idea Dirk!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Yep, I can help with a donation too...

MRA Racer No.427

Count me in for donation and seat time.

2008 GSX650F
    2012 Azera, 2009 Santa Fe, 2002 300M,
    2001 Aurora Sold, 1966 Coronet 500 Sold, 1992 3000GT VR4 Sold, and many others sold

This is a great idea, I would be willing to donate some funds and time to anyone new/newish/ whatever, to help them improve their skills. It's a win/win for anyone to participate in something like this.

Idea1, I remember back in the day, we used to setup a noob ride at the begining of the season. What if we see what kind of interest there is, and continue these rides throughout the spring/summer.

Idea2, To help fund, we could do a a type of benefit ride, and open it up to other clubs/ organizations ?
    2011 GSXR 750