Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

Re: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

Any chance people are going to do some riding this weekend? I would definitely be down...I am relatively new to Colorado and it 'Should' be nice this weekend.

I'm in to help out cash wise and am definitely needing/wanting improvement.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Ok, now that the weather is warming up and we should get some rain this week to clean up the roads a bit, I am thinking it is time to do a riding session. The plan would be to meet in Boulder at my office at 11 am on Sunday, May 12. I do realize this Mother's Day but let's see if there is any interest. I will limit it to 5 riders and I already have two signups. First come, first served.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

In.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Here's my take on getting out to the track. It's expensive: most new riders do not have full leathers, most can't afford them, not to mention wear and tear on the bike, the trailer, the tires, the list goes on and on... it's scary, and if you only have one motorcycle, you're not always willing to risk it on the track. Yes, even IMI can be intimidating. I say this as someone who will be looking into getting their MSF instructors license here this year or next and I still won't go to the track. I'm not ready and I've put almost 75,000 miles on a bike in the last 4 years.

For those of you really pushing the track, realize that as a n00b rider, you probably weren't on the track either. Yes, it is probably the best place to learn, but from a n00b standpoint it's super scary. The road is less scary because most people have been operating a vehicle on the road for years so please be gentle about mentioning the track and if someone refuses stop pushing. It will only make them less likely to go.

I am happy to offer funds. I am always happy to take a n00b out and show them technique. Spiderman and I were talking about maybe putting together a Road 101 "course" that newer riders could use as a guideline which would fit in here. Anything I can do to support this program, let me know.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Site Admin

Question: Who makes sure those saying they are experienced really are? I think maybe there needs to be some sort of process where someone saying they are experienced actually is. Not everyone who says they are will be honest with themselves, not everyone who is experienced can necessarily teach either. Now, I know Spiderman, Dirk, Mother Goose, ASP125 are all good riders who can teach. Perhaps to teach, that person needs to ride with the people I mentioned above and only then get added to the list of people that n00bs should ride with.

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    Question: Who makes sure those saying they are experienced really are? I think maybe there needs to be some sort of process where someone saying they are experienced actually is. Not everyone who says they are will be honest with themselves, not everyone who is experienced can necessarily teach either. Now, I know Spiderman, Dirk, Mother Goose, ASP125 are all good riders who can teach. Perhaps to teach, that person needs to ride with the people I mentioned above and only then get added to the list of people that n00bs should ride with.
    So far, the coaches all know each other and their skillsets. I suppose if it becomes popular and necessary then some sort of vetting process should be in place; but none so far with just three coaches.

And as for the question of WHAT is being taught, we've been passing notes around in class. It's essentially "the Pace" but you can PM any of us for the material.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue May 7th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Site Admin

Ah, ok, I must have missed something somewhere but I'm super excited you guys are doing this and I wish I would have seen the threads sooner! Good luck this weekend and please let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bornwildnfree View Post
    For those of you really pushing the track, realize that as a n00b rider, you probably weren't on the track either. Yes, it is probably the best place to learn, but from a n00b standpoint it's super scary. The road is less scary because most people have been operating a vehicle on the road for years so please be gentle about mentioning the track and if someone refuses stop pushing. It will only make them less likely to go.
    I was out at IMI in the first year I had my first street bike. It can be scary, and if someone doesn't want to go that route, then there's no reason to push it. It's not for everyone, it can be expensive, but it does let you get to know your bike and what it can do a lot more than any type of (safe) street riding will. Even if you aren't fast, you'll still learn a lot by just having to concentrate on your riding, and not wondering if grandma is about to turn left in front of you, or if there's gravel on the road around the next corner.

I know it helped me a lot getting out there, even if I wasn't going fast. But it isn't for everyone for sure.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Digressing..

Outside the parameters of this thread, but the Utah Sportbike Assn (UTSBA) runs a Sport Touring oriented track day at Miller, where it's not about lap times but just working on corners. They call it START (Sport Touring Advanced Riding Techniques).

I think Nick I is working with Faast at PMI on something similar. (Sorry Nick, if I'm assuming too much)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Digressing..

Outside the parameters of this thread, but the Utah Sportbike Assn (UTSBA) runs a Sport Touring oriented track day at Miller, where it's not about lap times but just working on corners. They call it START (Sport Touring Advanced Riding Techniques).

I think Nick I is working with Faast at PMI on something similar. (Sorry Nick, if I'm assuming too much)
    That's what your first time out there should be about, IMO. Not to be fast and try to beat everyone, but to work on technique and learn more about what your bike can do. Once you do that, you will get faster and not even realize it.

I haven't ridden on the track since September and had one day on 2 wheels since then on a bike I didn't know. So I'm doing the track day this Friday to just get back into it. Not trying to go fast, just working on getting that technique back, and making sure I still have a little bit of it left over from last season.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

New riders, this is for you. Two spots are still open. The pace will be slow and tailored to your needs, with lots of one-on-one feedback.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

What time would this go until?

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Based on the PM's I'm getting, it's clear that there is a lot of interest from people who have been riding a bit longer but want to work on things. I will address this demand with mentoring sessions in the near future that target such riders (and keep an eye out for such sessions from asp_125 and Cornfed as they have both done them with very positive reviews). The ride on Sunday is for new(ish) riders that want to work on fundamentals slowly and methodically in a real world environment.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    What time would this go until?
    I'm thinking we'll start at 10-11 am with an hour or so of going over things and then ride for 2-3 hours or more if people want it. This is very relaxed and informal. You can peel off whenever you need to.

--Thomas Jefferson

Bump. Two slots still open.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Bump. Two slots still open.
    Good on you Dirkterrell. I'm thrilled to see this continuing. Especially because the focus has remained on new riders. Noobs, this is your chance for patient, constructive, one on one instructing. Summers here, better get it while you can.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

I'm up to go on Sunday, but would still be on a 250. This could help me out more when I get a bigger bike hopefully in the next week

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    I'm up to go on Sunday, but would still be on a 250. This could help me out more when I get a bigger bike hopefully in the next week
    I think it will help you more on a 250 than a 600. The best riders start on small dirt bikes.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Last bump. We have one slot open and I'm going to close signups at 6pm today. This is a good opportunity for new riders to learn some things in a low stress environment with lots of one-on-one feedback and question/answer sessions.

--Thomas Jefferson

sike. sorry guys, realized I have to work on Sunday so I can have monday and wednesday off. somebody should do it though

I'm curious if there are people who would do this if it weren't Mothers Day? (Trying to gauge future interest...)

--Thomas Jefferson

I would be interested if it wasn't: (take your pick)...

Mothers Day
    Work at office needed
    Work on own company needed
    Work on the house needed
    Work on the yard needed
    Rest and Relaxation needed
    First round of the MRA, with Redbull around, so I want to go watch some
    Clean the garage
    ETC...

I do think my riding skill is a little past the riding skill you are targeting, however I am sure I could learn a lot during this ride, but I thank you for offering this to people.
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ