Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

Re: A Proposal for New/Newish Riders

I'd like to go to continue my corner work, and to get some feedback to build upon ASP125's excellent instruction.

Do you still have a spot?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I'd like to go to continue my corner work, and to get some feedback to build upon ASP125's excellent instruction.

Do you still have a spot?
    Yes, there are two spots open now.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yes, there are two spots open now.
    I'll claim one of them, if you'll let me! Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I'll claim one of them, if you'll let me! Thanks in advance!
    Ok, you're in.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I have a question. Is the fund for basic classes being started? My younger brother is interested in starting to ride now, he just turned 21 and is looking at picking up his buddies 2011 ninja 250r. I've told him the classes are the way to go and he seems up for the idea, but I would like to see if we could help him along in getting some of the money down for the basic class. I am chipping in as well by giving him some gear that I have a home to help him in the process. I'd like to make a donation to the fund monthly as well, just not sure if it exists.
    Heavily Modified 82 Honda CB750F

Planning on retrofitting your headlights, let me know and I can cut CSC members a deal.

I also have access to milling/lathe machinery. If you need something modified or made for cheap (spacers, shock mounts, etc) send me a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannymack View Post
    I have a question. Is the fund for basic classes being started? My younger brother is interested in starting to ride now, he just turned 21 and is looking at picking up his buddies 2011 ninja 250r. I've told him the classes are the way to go and he seems up for the idea, but I would like to see if we could help him along in getting some of the money down for the basic class. I am chipping in as well by giving him some gear that I have a home to help him in the process. I'd like to make a donation to the fund monthly as well, just not sure if it exists.
    So far I haven't seen enough demand to warrant setting up something official with ABATE, but my offer to pay for half the cost of the class if taken from Bob and/or Jim stands.

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    So far I haven't seen enough demand to warrant setting up something official with ABATE, but my offer to pay for half the cost of the class if taken from Bob and/or Jim stands.
    Wonderful I will see what he thinks. Which locations do they teach at? Or should I contact them directly to find out?
    Heavily Modified 82 Honda CB750F

Planning on retrofitting your headlights, let me know and I can cut CSC members a deal.

I also have access to milling/lathe machinery. If you need something modified or made for cheap (spacers, shock mounts, etc) send me a pm.

Wonderful I will see what he thinks. Which locations do they teach at? Or should I contact them directly to find out?
    I would contact them directly. Bob is "Spiderman" here and Jim is "UglyDogRacing".

--Thomas Jefferson

Just read through the thread, okay most of it. I am definitely willing to help out with funds. Personally I took the BRC over 10 years ago and after about an 8 year break, I just picked up a new to me SV650S. Before I even got off the first page of this thread, I signed up for the ABATE Advanced course on 6/29/13 at Red Rocks. I would certainly be up to participate and learn techniques from anyone willing to give them.

Is there anything I should do to prep for the ARCST? I feel I should have more experience going into the class than I already have, just because I spent so many years without a bike.
    2006 SV650S Blue

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrishall314 View Post
    Just read through the thread, okay most of it. I am definitely willing to help out with funds. Personally I took the BRC over 10 years ago and after about an 8 year break, I just picked up a new to me SV650S. Before I even got off the first page of this thread, I signed up for the ABATE Advanced course on 6/29/13 at Red Rocks. I would certainly be up to participate and learn techniques from anyone willing to give them.

Is there anything I should do to prep for the ARCST? I feel I should have more experience going into the class than I already have, just because I spent so many years without a bike.
    If you remember the BRC, try brushing up on the skills you learned there. That may help you prepare for the advanced course Glad you're taking the class with Abate

My schedule - http://uglydogracing.com/Calendar.html
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

So it's been a while since I've posted on the forum, however just wondering if anyone is planning another weekend to pass on some knowledge about canyon carving and such. As long as I know before day of I'm usually off weekends. Put around 2000 miles behind me on two wheels since the annual ride last May, but definately think I could use some help as most of my seat time has been highway driving to work. Also I did the brc up at front range long before I got my bike and was thinking of the intermediate or advanced rider course to strengthen my riding style but not sure which one would be better... Any and all advice is welcome as I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasaxman6 View Post
    So it's been a while since I've posted on the forum, however just wondering if anyone is planning another weekend to pass on some knowledge about canyon carving and such. As long as I know before day of I'm usually off weekends. Put around 2000 miles behind me on two wheels since the annual ride last May, but definately think I could use some help as most of my seat time has been highway driving to work. Also I did the brc up at front range long before I got my bike and was thinking of the intermediate or advanced rider course to strengthen my riding style but not sure which one would be better... Any and all advice is welcome as I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough.
    I actually was signed up for the advanced class, but switched to the intermediate. I haven't taken it yet, so I am not the best to give advice. My theory is that I am sure I will learn something from the intermediate (probably a lot in my case), and then I can always take the advanced later. I figure if you are not sure, probably better to play it safe with the intermediate class first.
    2006 SV650S Blue

Well I just picked up my 05 SV650 from Fay today so I'm looking at classes for either end of this month or sometime next month for the intermediate rider course. Driving her home today was such a change from my Blast! Going out after I get the insurance called and taken care of. Happy riding everyone!
    05 SV 650-New baby
    01 Buell Blast-1st bike

Board Newbie

Are there any classes in southern Colorado? I might sell my 650r to a guy with no riding experience, he lives in la veta. I'll give him a break on the price if he takes some classes.

Quote Originally Posted by redzuk View Post
    Are there any classes in southern Colorado? I might sell my 650r to a guy with no riding experience, he lives in la veta. I'll give him a break on the price if he takes some classes.
    ABATE of Colorado offers classes in Pueblo - http://www.abateofcolo.org/
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    ABATE of Colorado offers classes in Pueblo - http://www.abateofcolo.org/
    I will tell the buyer about you. May be worth it for him to drive to Littleton to take the class especially if Dirk is still willing to pay half.

I made a quick trip from La Veta to Cuchara yesterday, what a fun road, makes want to keep the bike. I need some training if I keep riding. I always had a bike but only had the 650r since last summer and its a whole new experience.

Quote Originally Posted by redzuk View Post
    I will tell the buyer about you. May be worth it for him to drive to Littleton to take the class especially if Dirk is still willing to pay half.
    My offer stands.

--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

So knowing I have lots of room for improvement I'm looking into class options. I've had my endorsement for 20 years but only been actively riding the last 3 and before that back when I was in HS. Would you recommend the BRC or the Intermediate course?

Thanks,
    Murdock

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I would recommend taking the Intermediate course. The BRC works with locating the bike controls, friction zone, shifting, matching gears to speed, cornering, quick stops, etc. as well as helping you receive your M endorsement. So if you feel you are already good with those skills from riding the last 3 years, then try the intermediate course. If not, by all means, sign up for the BRC as a refresher but it may feel redundant since you've been riding for a while already.

The intermediate course is called the BRC2. It is offered with and without the skills test for getting the M endorsement. It is similar to the BRC except that the speeds are a little higher and you would do it on your own motorcycle. It's a great course for practicing and renewing basic rider skills. There is one offered this Sunday at ACC and the following Sunday at Red Rocks Community College if you are in the Denver Metro area.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Chocolate Thunder

Will you be doing this again this year..

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

Yes, I will try to do more of these sessions this year.

--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Great, I'd love to attend. Jeff's canyon class last year was very helpful.