Thread: My Current Touring Luggage System - 2012 BMW K1300S

My Current Touring Luggage System - 2012 BMW K1300S

So, my SW-Motech-made/Twisted Throttle-designed Pelican case adapter kit came yesterday....

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/quick...-topcase-setup

I'd been bouncing back and forth about the type/brand of top case I wanted to use this year and I keep coming back to how much I loved my Pelican 1600 last season mounted to my 2009 KTM 990 Adventure. I finally decided that re-using the 1600 was the way I wanted to go.

As with most things from SW-Motech, it's well-made and sturdy and well-engineered to bolt up very easily. It took me maybe a total of 25 minutes from the time I opened the box to completion (including the time to go into my fridge and open a beer )

Here are a bunch of photos...

First, I had to remove the Alu-Rack top plate (purchased from Twisted Throttle and installed last month - http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...auser-topcases) to add the included cam-lock plates.

After taking a few minutes to assemble the adapter/quick-release plate (bolted on the lock plate, the mounting cams, and the quick-release cam-locks), the plate attaches to the Alu-Rack simply and easily.

I did a quick test-fit of the mounting plate that attaches to the bottom of the Pelican case.

After confirming placement on the Pelican case (my case is a large 1600 model - no, I didn't mis-drill the holes, the outside set are from the previous mounting solution I used on the KTM 990). I marked, drilled, and mounted the plate on the case.

Yeah, I don't like the extra holes, either. I've got a few plugs for 'em, though.

The case mounts up cleanly, quickly, and securely with a satisfying "click" as the lock engages.
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    2003 Suzuki DRZ400E (Plated)
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1975 Honda CB500T "Clubman"
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

Re: My Current Touring Luggage System - 2012 BMW K1300S

Case opened on the bike.

Need 4 more plugs.

I mounted the case plate with the case far enough back to keep the pillion open. My wife rarely rides on my bike and is not interested in overnight bike trips, but I'm planning on using my Giant Loop Great Basin bag for my camping gear, tool roll, bike cover, and pump/tire repair kit. The GB bag holds a ton... including my sleeping bag, Big Agnes pad, pillow, 2p tent, and camp light. Just a test fit of the GB here.

Finally, a test fit of my Wolfman Expedition dry bag. I used this bag and the Pelican this way last season and loved the flexibility it offers. I've got 2 different-sized dry bags depending on how long I'm on the road. I only put my clothes in the dry bags, so I'm not top-heavy. The Pelican is so robust I can easily-open it even with the dry bag attached.

It's become a "March Madness" ritual that I spend this time of the year prepping my bike and gear for multi-day trips and start dreaming of hitting the road. When my luggage solutions come together I start getting very itchy! We've got another 60 degree day forecast for the Denver Metro/Front Range today... which just makes me even more itchy and ready to point the bike somewhere for a few days.

Come on Spring!
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

Hondo?

Why do you want all of that weight so high on the bike? You're going to lean a whole lot more on the K1300 then you would the 950. It can really throw off the balance while riding. Especially if there is anything in there shifting around...like a bottle of Tequila? For me, I'd prefer the weight be much lower, like saddle bags. If you really dig the Pelican cases, check out what Cole did with his R1.
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...light=panniers

I'm digging those dry bags. I need to get one of those. It looks like you can carry quite a bit of stuff.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I used a a basic dry bag from Sports Auth on my AK trip and it work great.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Hondo?

Why do you want all of that weight so high on the bike? You're going to lean a whole lot more on the K1300 then you would the 950. It can really throw off the balance while riding. Especially if there is anything in there shifting around...like a bottle of Tequila? For me, I'd prefer the weight be much lower, like saddle bags. If you really dig the Pelican cases, check out what Cole did with his R1.
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...light=panniers
    Maybe I should have clarified a bit more... this is my rig for a month on the road, having to work while I travel. Will be visiting family in Rhode Island, so I need a bit more clothes than for a "normal" bike trip. But, even with my full load for a month, this set-up is less heavy than it looks. Like I said above, the only things going in the Pelican are my electronics bag and light stuff I like to have easy access to during the riding day. Nothing really heavy is going in the Wolfman dry bag.

As far as leaning (KTM vs. K13S) I can tell you a similar load on my 990 (which is way taller than the K13S) didn't effect my canyon carving while traveling last year... wish I'd have had my video camera running when I blasted Glenwood Canyon on the way home. No knee-dragging, but it was a seriously-spirited run.

When running a long miles, multi-day, moto-trip, I tend to, overall, ride a whole lot less spirited. Last thing I need is to go down while 1000 miles from home and ruin my whole trip.

With all that said, this ain't my first rodeo... I test-ride all my new luggage configurations long before I head out on my long trips.

Especially if there is anything in there shifting around...like a bottle of Tequila?
    Hey, how did you know I always travel with tequila?
    Last edited by Narsisco Lopez; Fri Mar 8th, 2013 at 07:54 AM.
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

Quote Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
    Maybe I should have clarified a bit more... this ain't my first rodeo... I test-ride all my new luggage configurations long before I head out on my long trips.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. And you're right, having weight up high does not effect the balance of the bike...

Another fine example of having weight high on the bike. (not Narsico Lopez)

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    I'm digging those dry bags. I need to get one of those. It looks like you can carry quite a bit of stuff.
    The ones with the yellow emblem are Wolfman Luggage. They are out of Longmont and make some really high quality stuff. Talk to Dusty.
    http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?

The other one that hangs over each side is called a Giant Loop bag. A lot of dirtbikers use them. I know the guys at Wolfman, so I would promote their product more. Promote local business! But here's a link.
    http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

Couldn't have said it better myself. And you're right, having weight up high does not effect the balance of the bike...

Damn it! Geek's photo continues to haunt me!!!! LOL!

In all fairness, that get-off really had nothing to do with weight distro and EVERYTHING to do with my noobish inability to steer with my throttle in the mud!

I definitely learned to HATE picking up a fully-loaded 990 sporting 70lbs of fuel AND too much gear when riding off-road. The DRZ is So much easier to pick up... even with my camping gear in the GL bag.

Another fine example of having weight high on the bike. (not Narsico Lopez)

Hondo's off-road rig makes mine look positively svelte!

By the way... how's married life treating you, Sean? One of these days I gotta ride with the Wolfpack... hopefully, you guys won't spend too much time helping me pick up my bike.
    Last edited by Narsisco Lopez; Fri Mar 8th, 2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

The ones with the yellow emblem are Wolfman Luggage. They are out of Longmont and make some really high quality stuff. Talk to Dusty.
    http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?

The other one that hangs over each side is called a Giant Loop bag. A lot of dirtbikers use them. I know the guys at Wolfman, so I would promote their product more. Promote local business! But here's a link.
    http://www.giantloopmoto.com/
    I promote Dusty and Wolfman as much as possible... great stuff and great guys!

The Giant Loop I got used from Craig Johnson (CJ Designs) at a price I couldn't pass up. I got it mostly to use on the DRZ since I don't need any mounting hardware, but am also thinking of using it on the Beemer to avoid side cases. I'm as bad about my bike luggage as Blake is about buying and keeping bikes... I'm always trying different stuff.
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

Quote Originally Posted by Narsisco Lopez View Post
    By the way... how's married life treating you, Sean? One of these days I gotta ride with the Wolfpack... hopefully, you guys won't spend too much time helping me pick up my bike.
    Married life is good. Jay and Rob ride a bit on the front range, and there's always riding to be had out here on the western slope. Come out anytime and we'll eat some dirt. I'm sure we'll hit some of the rally's this year.

Don't worry, I don't anticipate spending any time picking up your bike.

Don't worry, I don't anticipate spending any time picking up your bike.
    I'm DETERMINED to keep the DRZ light enough that my skinny ass can still pick it up... even if that means stinky undies, sleeping in the dirt and borrowing tools (and booze).
    Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    1976 Yamaha 650 Special

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Looks good, the only comment I'd make is that the box is pretty cantilevered out there, and I'd wonder about subframe damage if you load it heavily. Maybe somehow mount it above where the passenger would sit?

Looks nice, best of luck with it!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I actually ended up going an entirely different route: Sold the Pelican to a friend and got me some new Hepco & Becker Junior 30 side cases and a Hepco & Becker Junior TC55 top case...

Current Bikes
    2012 BMW K1300S
    Past Bikes
    2009 KTM 990 Adventure
    2009 Triumph Sprint ST
    2007 Kawasaki ZX10R
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1981 Kawasaki KZ1000J
    1985 Suzuki GS550E