Thread: ECU flashing

ECU flashing

I've been reading up on it and have wondered if anyone here has done it. From what I have read it seems like a great way to gain a good amount of horsepower. However, the more I read and talk to people the more risky it seems. I've also read that in order to get the most out of a flash---and to not destroy the bike---other steps need to be taken in order to protect the engine, such as advances in timing, different pistons, cams, etc

Has anyone here had there ECU flashed? If so, have you done any other mods to the bike on top of the flashing?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Re: ECU flashing

I've been thinking about getting it done on my R1 (through Flash-Tune) just so I can get the reduced engine braking feature. I haven't seen anything about a lot of problems with it. Like all things, if you do it right, you shouldn't have an issue. BUT you are messing around with the bike's brain and something could go wrong of course.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Isn't this what a Power Commander does or is that just a different map the ECU uses? I know mine connected to each fuel injector
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

It does the same thing, and more. You can do more things with the ECU flash that the PC can't do. You can upload a PC file to the ECU flash as well, which is what I was planning on doing since I have a custom tune on my PC3. But I'm doing the DYI quick shifter, so I need to keep my PC3 now.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I had a flashed ECU on my 07 R6s. It was great and was worth every penny.

I was really happy with the ECUnleashed. It was like riding a new bike after.

There is a lot to be said about these (flashed ECUs) but for the most part you are ok with stock internals as long as you stay with the flashed settings. The hard part about that is that they are super generic settings that dont take into consideration altitude and whatnot. So to correct that (and get more power) you need to tune it on a dyno and thats potentially where you start running into problems because most people tune motors to 100% of the parts potential. In other words if an extra 15hp is possible with the ECU tune, most people dont tune it to only 10hp. Its sketchy with stock internals because you are tuning the ECU and not just some piggy back system (Power Commander) that has to pass information through the ECU and is still limited by it.

Long story short. If you go with a modest increase in all around performance and dont tune the piss out of that setting you will be way ok. The ECU tunes are made for the new bikes and make a huge difference in their performance.

P.S. This technology is not "new" for say... At least to cars its not so its pretty tried and true stuff thats just now making its way into the motorcycle mainstream.
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Thu Mar 7th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I use a flashing tool called ECU Editor on my busa. Have no regrets at all about it. I also have a wideband o2 and data logger onboard to help with dialing in what couldn't be done on a dyno.
    Contact me for all yourAmsoil needs. 720-515-0963
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/007/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    2011 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2006 Suzuki Hayabusa Present
    2005 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
    2004 Suzuki SV650 Sold

So when you flash the bike, what programs stay with the bike? Do you need to re-dial in the system with a dyno? Is the rev limiter gone after a flash?

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Just checked out ECUnleashed. Going to give them a call sometime soon to ask them some questions. Everything looks good, but I dont want to take any chances. Thank you guys for the info

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    So when you flash the bike, what programs stay with the bike? Do you need to re-dial in the system with a dyno? Is the rev limiter gone after a flash?
    Hey Rob, ECU flashing has actually been around for a while and is completely safe if done correctly. A example, on the Hayabusa the ECU has programs in it for airshifters, Nitrose, Turbos, even super chargers and many, many other applications. You can utilize your specific bikes ecu capabilities to gain horsepower, fuel economey etc. If you decide to make the move to do this, I can hook you up with a shop that has done my race bikes and street bikes for a few years now. They do a dyno tune along with the ecu. You do not need to change any engine internals to do a ecu flash, that is alot of BS
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

I've done some flashing on Hayabusas using the Boostbysmith flashing interface with good results. To utilize the full potential of an ECU flash, a dyno is almost a necessity. You can find preset maps online for most popular bikes, but they are not customized for YOUR bike. The main disadvantage to ECU tuning is the extreme range of adjustment available in most ECUs. It's easy to get lost, and if your original map isn't properly saved, it may be hard to get back to zero.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Hey Jim,
    looking for some Shinko Drag Hook up tires for the up coming race season. Just wondering if you're running any specials on these for broke struggling drag racers?
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Husky View Post
    Hey Jim,
    looking for some Shinko Drag Hook up tires for the up coming race season. Just wondering if you're running any specials on these for broke struggling drag racers?
    The best time to buy Shinko is in October, but we can still get you a decent price. The 190 is currently 154.99, the 200 runs $167.99. Let me know
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I worked with Mike at quickcycles (looks like his web site is down) I had my 08 GSXR 1000 dyno tuned and then flashed. Had the top speed limiter shut off, adjusted the engine braking, had the AIR Injection system shut off.

He has a dyno and built my map from scratch then flashed the ECU with the new software. Very knowledgeable guy and he has the ability to explain to you what he is doing and takes the time to answer your questions. I only gained 3 hp peak BUT gained 10hp from 4500RPM to 10,000RPM. That my friend is corner launching power!
    Call him even if its just to get some information. 720-690-9999
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.