Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which heli company does HPR/MRA use?

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Re: Which heli company does HPR/MRA use?

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    I would highly suggest having additional accidental insurance to cover what your main medical plan does not. I have Aflec and it runs another $40/month.

Then again, I work in insurance and get worse coverage than what my clients see.
    Last I heard Aflac didnt cover motorsports.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sleev View Post
    "no thanks, I'll just walk it off"
    Good luck with that when you have a brain hemorrhage, or tension pneumothorax coming on.

The vast majority of transports from HPR are by ground, usually with a handoff to Strasburg EMS in Byers. Occasionally a helo is warranted, and as the decision is not taken lightly, neither should yours be on whether you'd rather be broke or dead.

Put another way - I know all of the EMT's and medics that work HPR personally and professionally, and would trust them with my life. If they say I need to get to da choppa, I need to get to da choppa.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    No group health plan/insurance policy covers "professional motorsports" where you get paid to race. We're not at that level. Recreational is something else
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    I've had AFLAC and it has covered for me

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Good luck with that when you have a brain hemorrhage, or tension pneumothorax coming on.

The vast majority of transports from HPR are by ground, usually with a handoff to Strasburg EMS in Byers. Occasionally a helo is warranted, and as the decision is not taken lightly, neither should yours be on whether you'd rather be broke or dead.

Put another way - I know all of the EMT's and medics that work HPR personally and professionally, and would trust them with my life. If they say I need to get to da choppa, I need to get to da choppa.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

It sounds cheaper to just rent the copter.

So we will have to look at all the reviews from those offering the service, get competitive bids, figure out which is most cost effective for your articular situation, negotiate any discounts there might be. That's how the free enterprise system is suppose to work and guarantee value for the money you spend.

Of course most of us are not skilled enough to preform this task while unconscious strapped to a back board.

So we have insurance to cover these expenses.

But when these policies change yearly and are several pages of legal explanations as to what is and isn't covered, who really knows if it even covers anything at all. And so we have people working for the insurance company whose job it is to make as much profit for their shareholders as possible, making choices about what health care you should have or not. Leaving us to buy insurance to cover the insurance. And some how this is better than all of us being on Medicare.

So back to my main question. Where can I rent a copter?
    Last edited by Snowman; Wed Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:52 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It sounds cheaper to just rent the copter and pilot.

Here:

http://frontrangehelicopters.com/

It sounds cheaper to just rent the copter and pilot.

So we will have to look at all the reviews from those offering the service, get competitive bids, figure out which is most cost effective for your articular situation, negotiate any discounts there might be. That's how the free enterprise system is suppose to work and guarantee value for the money you spend.

Of course most of us are not skilled enough to preform this task while unconscious strapped to a back board.

But when these policies change yearly and are several pages of legal explanations as to what is and isn't covered, who really knows if it even covers anything at all. And so we have people working for the insurance company whose job it is to make as much profit for their shareholders as possible, making choices about what health care you should have or not. And some how this is better and all of us being on Medicare.

Are you really thinking you are going to negotiate in a emergency situation or have much of a say in which helicopter gets you? It doesn't work like that.Also in most cases a insurance company cannot enforce "in network policies" when it is a emergency and is forced to pay. Last, even if they did negotiate, do you really want to waste the precious time you have; they only bring in a chopper when it is a matter of time to save you! Plus I highly doubt a EMT can even negotiate and cares about anything more than medical care.

And when it comes to your healthcare you can always find what is covered under your plan in emergency situations; and if you don't like it you can always pay more for better insurance. I agree insurance companies are all about making them profit, but you have to be smarter than them and do your homework before and not after. If you don't know what your deductible and coinsurance is, then it can be a horrible thing to find out when it is too late.

So from everything I've gathered in this thread:

1) Make sure your insurance covers for the two popular copter services that HPR uses
    2) Possibly look into Aflack or something similar to cover the uncovered part of the expense, which could actually still be a large amount of money

ok, you are free to turn this thread into crap now. Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Are you really thinking you are going to negotiate in a emergency situation or have much of a say in which helicopter gets you? It doesn't work like that.Also in most cases a insurance company cannot enforce "in network policies" when it is a emergency and is forced to pay. Last, even if they did negotiate, do you really want to waste the precious time you have; they only bring in a chopper when it is a matter of time to save you! Plus I highly doubt a EMT can even negotiate and cares about anything more than medical care.

And when it comes to your healthcare you can always find what is covered under your plan in emergency situations; and if you don't like it you can always pay more for better insurance. I agree insurance companies are all about making them profit, but you have to be smarter than them and do your homework before and not after. If you don't know what your deductible and coinsurance is, then it can be a horrible thing to find out when it is too late.
    Sarcasm is a word you should really look up sometime...

MRA Racer No.427

Sarcasm is a word you should really look up sometime...
    Ummm, ok, but I don't get you....or get how sarcasm comes through in text. You sound like you were serious and your post above this still makes it sound like certain insurance companies will not cover you in a emergency (not sure in a pro racing setting however). I am a health insurance expert so was just trying to help out

And yes, any secondary insurance is going to pick up what the first one doesn't cover (maybe not all but most.) Hell you can even get a third insurance to really make sure....and this does not have to be a company like Aflac; any insurance company (like UHC, BCBS, Aetna, etc) offers secondary insurance as long as you pay for it (or get it through your spouse).

Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    So from everything I've gathered in this thread:

1) Make sure your insurance covers for the two popular copter services that HPR uses
    2) Possibly look into Aflack or something similar to cover the uncovered part of the expense, which could actually still be a large amount of money

ok, you are free to turn this thread into crap now. Thanks all
    Sorry I didn't mean to turn it to crap- it's a serious topic and one that I (unfortunately) know a lot about.

I too know and trust the EMTs that take care of us when we ride at HPR. I'm happy that they were there to take care of me when I fell down last year.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean to turn it to crap- it's a serious topic and one that I (unfortunately) know a lot about.

I too know and trust the EMTs that take care of us when we ride at HPR. I'm happy that they were there to take care of me when I fell down last year.

Scott
    nah u weren't turning it to crap. I'm glad to get some info from you about your accident, so that I can learn from someone elses experience so that mine can be not as painful if and when it happens

now, the concern is when I can get Rybo scheduled for some one on one track time

Yes, thanks for sharing your story. I was just being a smartass and was genuinely curious as to how much something like that ends up costing
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ummm, ok, but I don't get you....or get how sarcasm comes through in text. You sound like you were serious and your post above this still makes it sound like certain insurance companies will not cover you in a emergency (not sure in a pro racing setting however). I am a health insurance expert so was just trying to help out

And yes, any secondary insurance is going to pick up what the first one doesn't cover (maybe not all but most.) Hell you can even get a third insurance to really make sure....and this does not have to be a company like Aflac; any insurance company (like UHC, BCBS, Aetna, etc) offers secondary insurance as long as you pay for it (or get it through your spouse).
    Insurance for insurance that covers the holes in your insurance? Do you not see the problem with that?

The answer to the OPs question is that you will have to ask the people you have insurance with. "I race motorcycles with the MRA at a track that might require me to be air lifted out. Do you pay the cost of this?" I suggest you get the answer in writing.

All the other people who are there to respond to our mistakes, I have complete trust and admiration for. Every EMT, Doctor and Medical staff that has dealt with any of the riders that have ever been down in our sport. What they do to bring us back are nothing less than human created miracles.

MRA Racer No.427

Insurance for insurance that covers the holes in your insurance? Do you not see the problem with that?

The answer to the OPs question is that you will have to ask the people you have insurance with. "I race motorcycles with the MRA at a track that might require me to be air lifted out. Do you pay the cost of this?" I suggest you get the answer in writing.

All the other people who are there to respond to our mistakes, I have complete trust and admiration for. Every EMT, Doctor and Medical staff that has dealt with any of the riders that have ever been down in our sport. What they do to bring us back are nothing less than human created miracles.
    Well virtually no insurance covers 100% and even the best plans have a copay/deductible you have to pay, so really it is not "holes" in insurance as much as it is covering the patients part. Even Medicare has a copay they require patients to pay. I agree our insurance system sucks and it is not about care as much as it is profit.

But yeah you are right and "racing" may be one exception to them denying a claim. As you said best to check on this before it happens to you and then really consider the risk! I see claim bills in the millions for accidents so there is a good chance you could be stuck with this bill if they do not cover you.

A lot of times you can say the injury happened somewhere else and they will never questions it, but a ambulance ride or a heli ride will always give them the point of pickup and there is no denying that.

This really could be a huge risk for people that race and they need to be aware of it before they find themselves with huge medical bills!

Well virtually no insurance covers 100% and even the best plans have a copay/deductible you have to pay, so really it is not "holes" in insurance as much as it is covering the patients part. Even Medicare has a copay they require patients to pay. I agree our insurance system sucks and it is not about care as much as it is profit.

But yeah you are right and "racing" may be one exception to them denying a claim. As you said best to check on this before it happens to you and then really consider the risk! I see claim bills in the millions for accidents so there is a good chance you could be stuck with this bill if they do not cover you.

A lot of times you can say the injury happened somewhere else and they will never questions it, but a ambulance ride or a heli ride will always give them the point of pickup and there is no denying that.

This really could be a huge risk for people that race and they need to be aware of it before they find themselves with huge medical bills!

The answer is simple, have someone drag the bike to the road outside of the track. Recite these words: "I got hit by a car and they took off"

Bingo bango bongo

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    The answer is simple, have someone drag the bike to the road outside of the track. Recite these words: "I got hit by a car and they took off"

Bingo bango bongo
    Hate to say it, but yup! That is if you can be moved or the ambulance/heli was not already called. Most people call 911 right away before the hurt person even knows so still good to check on this before it happens!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Hate to say it, but yup! That is if you can be moved or the ambulance/heli was not already called. Most people call 911 right away before the hurt person even knows so still good to check on this before it happens!
    A bit harder to stage your wreck at a track where there's on-site medical crews standing by for your yard-sale moment.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    A bit harder to stage your wreck at a track where there's on-site medical crews standing by for your yard-sale moment.
    For sure! And don't think these insurance companies won't spend money to investigate either, because they will; they have entire departments just for this. Then you get insurance fraud charges on top of it all.

Beginning season bump. See my first post for what you should do

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Beginning season bump. See my first post for what you should do
    Great advice...check now not when you ever need it...insurance companies are crooks so do your homework

BUMP for next year's racing season. Just called to confirm my medical plan coverage

Don't get stuck with a medical bill that you can't afford

See original post for details

It sounds cheaper to just rent the copter.

But when these policies change yearly and are several pages of legal explanations as to what is and isn't covered, who really knows if it even covers anything at all. And so we have people working for the insurance company whose job it is to make as much profit for their shareholders as possible, making choices about what health care you should have or not. Leaving us to buy insurance to cover the insurance. And some how this is better than all of us being on Medicare.

What is this sense you are making? I want to pay more than I have to for healthcare!!!!
    2010 Ducati Hypermotard 796