Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failed Emissions

Re: Failed Emissions

Quote Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
    So it said check engine light on with both p0420,p0430, you have converters failing. About 100% of the time that ive had those codes its been converter on those trucks

Your short term fuel is normal to slight rich
    Your long term is way lean

I think you have bad converters but something is causing them to go bad.

Id say leaking intake gaskets and or skewed MAF sensor. Skewed MAF is hard to see a failure
    lekaing intake gaskets if you spray carb or brake clean aerosol around intake you could feel a change in idle if they area leaking or some other vacuum leak
    Som bitch! What do you think the chances of me doing a slight tune up and taking it back hot as hell and it passing? It only failed by a little, right?

I appreciate you taking a minute to look at that stuff
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    How good is the friend? Depending on the county, the seller is required to provide an emissions test.
    Hes a good friend.... Stuff like this just sucks.

Its actually a Colorado law (the Lemon law) and you are right its on the seller. They technically are not allowed to sell a car that cant pass.

So does that mean he is responsible for fixing it? Im not sure what I am going to do or if I am even going to tell him but im just curious. I just want to get it to pass....

I think he technically is on the hook for whatever the truck needs to pass. Depending on how much it costs, though, is losing the friendship worth it? Tough spot for you to be in. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Som bitch! What do you think the chances of me doing a slight tune up and taking it back hot as hell and it passing? It only failed by a little, right?

I appreciate you taking a minute to look at that stuff
    Im not sure, not much you can really tune besides plugs and wires pcv,and I dont really think that is going to cure it, get the codes cleared, decarbon top end, make sure it has acdelco plugs (GM 12621258,acdelco 41-110) they dont do well with other brand pulgs, get it hot and retest but make sure you get the codes cleared, even if the check engine lights not on if its stored in ECM/PCM history they will fail it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
    Im not sure, not much you can really tune besides plugs and wires pcv,and I dont really think that is going to cure it, get the codes cleared, decarbon top end, make sure it has acdelco plugs (GM 12621258,acdelco 41-110) they dont do well with other brand pulgs, get it hot and retest but make sure you get the codes cleared, even if the check engine lights not on if its stored in ECM/PCM history they will fail it.
    Well hell...

I think I just my buck the system and do the wires and plugs and even maybe the cap. Clean the MAF sensor and I want to check the timing even though its got to be close.

Whats the best way for someone to get the codes cleared?

Well hell...

I think I just my buck the system and do the wires and plugs and even maybe the cap. Clean the MAF sensor and I want to check the timing even though its got to be close.

That other guy who knows everything about cars and blows my mind prob has a better answer, but i know you can get them cleared at AUtozone.

Well hell...

This system is coil over meaning each cylinder has its own coil no distributor no cap/rotor no way to check or adjust timing all computer set and controlled, for clearing sometimes removing both battery cables from battery holding positive and negative together for about 30 sec will clear(MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE A DUAL BATTERY SET UP IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY!) this will discharge reset modules, if not see if a parts store will clear them thats the best way and you can make sure all history codes are for sure cleared.

Nice. I have a lot to learn when it comes to the American car world.

Good to know that the timing is set because a lot of people were saying that timing thats to advanced can cause NOx fail.

I really appreciate your time man

yeah no problem

I can let you borrow my generic code reader to clear them shits out

mix some ethanol in there

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    mix some ethanol in there
    I actually heard that... Any experience with doing that?

I went down to the Auto Parts joint down the road and he let me use their reader. It was just the two cat codes and I cleared them out. The guy swore by this stuff call "guaranteed to pass", they say if you dont pass using it that they give you double your money back. I put it in and need to burn the whole tank of gas and then fill up with premium. Should be good to go but I will let yall know how it goes.

Damir, thanks for the offer man. I will let you know.

RE: A code reader: I can endorse this reader which can be used to clear codes:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...ne+code+reader

It's $20, it's simple, it does the job. It's not pro-grade but for simple diagnostics and clearing of codes, it's sufficient for a shade tree mechanic.
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by spideyrdr View Post
    RE: A code reader: I can endorse this reader which can be used to clear codes:

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...ne+code+reader

It's $20, it's simple, it does the job. It's not pro-grade but for simple diagnostics and clearing of codes, it's sufficient for a shade tree mechanic.
    I now have one headed my way. This will come in handy from time to time.

Thanks a bunch!

If you add E85(Ethanol) fuel to a vehicle not made to run E85 it wont help it run better while it has a high ignition point think higher octane, it takes more fuel to make the same energy as regular fuel, so e85 vehicles flow more fuel to make the power and ecm/pcm software(timing,injector pulse,ect) to run properly, adding E85 to a vehicle that wasnt made for it doesnt add fuel properly so it ends up running lean which your truck is already lean so dont think it will help with your concern.

I now have one headed my way. This will come in handy from time to time.

Thanks a bunch!

You bet! I hope it works for you. I have used mine to pull codes on my Jeeps and reset my wife's codes (O2 sensor) and pass emissions. My neighbor used it to troubleshoot his issues on his truck. I liked it so much I got one for my dad for xmas.

Jamie
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

we did it at the shop to pass a few primarily race cars. the alcohol evaporating takes soooo much heat out of the charge. wouldnt put more than a few gallons in a full tank. then drive it around staying closed loop so it can mix. but yep, e85 needs about 33% more fueling to have the same energy potential of gasoline so dont go hotrodding with e85 in the tank.

Gold Member

http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-...rous-oxide.cfm

But hey really if just use a friends address in another county that doesnt have emissions you dint have to worry about it.

The guarenteed to pass stuff is basically alcohol. If you have failing you can pass a few different ways:

Run the car down to almost empty, fill up with some 85 octane (yes 85 octane) The lower octane burns faster. Add a few bottles of rubbing alcohol and go back and re-test. It'll pass. If not....

Loosen the exhaust somewhere. Wether it be the downpipe or after the cat. Don't get to crazy, just enough so that some exhaust comes out. Less exhast in the back means the machine reads less. Better chance of passing.

Quote Originally Posted by highpsi03 View Post
    Loosen the exhaust somewhere. Wether it be the downpipe or after the cat. Don't get to crazy, just enough so that some exhaust comes out. Less exhast in the back means the machine reads less. Better chance of passing.
    I'm pretty sure this will have no effect. By creating an exhaust leak you've changed the volume of exhaust getting to the sensor, but you haven't changed the composition of the gases that are still getting there, which is what the sensors are reading. And by creating an exhaust leak, I'm not positive, but pretty sure you've introduced another reason they can fail you if they notice it.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-...rous-oxide.cfm

But hey really if just use a friends address in another county that doesnt have emissions you dint have to worry about it.
    That's some good info. Thanks man.

Funny thing is that I called the old man tonight and asked "if I can't get this emmisions thing figured out, can I register it out there?" Plan B

Quote Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
    I'm pretty sure this will have no effect. By creating an exhaust leak you've changed the volume of exhaust getting to the sensor, but you haven't changed the composition of the gases that are still getting there, which is what the sensors are reading. And by creating an exhaust leak, I'm not positive, but pretty sure you've introduced another reason they can fail you if they notice it.
    It will work. When i had my old eclipse i did it every time emissions came around and it passed every time.

High Nitrogens of oxide is simply your egr system not working properly. I woukd suggest since your readings are slightly over the limit that your egr ports are restricted. Remove egr valve and clean thouroughly with solvent. Should pass afterwards.

The cat codes are a totally different problem. Your SES lamp should be on for those codes. Most 420 and 430 codes will require replacement of cats.
    Im not sure if they are using the IM240 test here in CO. After clearing the codes, the vehicle still needs to go through a drive cycle or you will fail again.
    06 Daytona 675 race
    01 red R6 #10
    86 FJ1200 #10
    06 MV Brutale 910s
    06 Honda CRF450r
    01 Yamaha YZ125
    64 Ducati 250

Quote Originally Posted by BadR6Man View Post
    High Nitrogens of oxide is simply your egr system not working properly. I woukd suggest since your readings are slightly over the limit that your egr ports are restricted. Remove egr valve and clean thouroughly with solvent. Should pass afterwards.

The cat codes are a totally different problem. Your SES lamp should be on for those codes. Most 420 and 430 codes will require replacement of cats.
    Im not sure if they are using the IM240 test here in CO. After clearing the codes, the vehicle still needs to go through a drive cycle or you will fail again.
    Sounds like you know your shit! I appreciate it.

Question, what is your definition of drive cycle?

I was driving it today to try and burn up the tank of gas that has the "guaranteed to pass" stuff and the check engine light popped on again. Id say it stayed off for about 10 miles...