Thread: Dirt Newbie - Many Questions

Dirt Newbie - Many Questions

Hey Guys,

I've ridden trails a few times over the years, but I want to get more track experience and I could use A LOT of help from the experts. My kid brother is into track riding but wants me to ride with him and I'm in way over my head. I did some ligament damage to my foot in August at Thunder Valley putting around with him and just last week got the very skeptical OK to start going to PT and doing some light jogging. I'd like to stop spending half a year off my foot, so I'm in serious need of improvement!

There are several problems with me riding on the track starting with... the fleshy bit atop the bike (me)! I've read and read and read some more about riding on dirt, but I could use some pointed instruction. Plain and simple - I'm a novice and need suggestions on good tracks/places to learn at (Thunder Valley too big for newbies? Just right?) and good people to follow me for a few laps and give me things to work on.

Next up is the bike I'm riding, it's a '98 YZ250 and I don't know if the bike is just shot (entirely plausible - unknown maintenance history) or the way I'm riding it is atrociously wrong. It's hand-me-down that was purchased used a few years ago (and not ridden much since) and it just doesn't run great in my hands. Even after lots of re-jetting, fiddling and profanity! Doesn't want to start, doesn't like to stay running once it is started, and is generally difficult to tame. I've ridden my fair share of sportbikes (half of which were injected, half not) and by comparison they all seemed easier to keep going on, even when riding hard. Should I take it to someone who can hum and haw over it much more proficiently or would investing in something smaller (CRF150) be a good learning tool?

I'm a completely open book, and I would love to be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Dirt Newbie - Many Questions

1. Don't go to Thunder Valley. IMI, Watkins, and Berthoud all have intermediate tracks and open riding areas.

2. Have you read THIS book?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Motocross-.../dp/0760318026

3. Take a dirt class like American Supercamp or Ricky Orlando's dirt class.
    http://www.americansupercamp.com/
    http://www.rickyorlando.com/denver-m.../dirt-classes/

4. A 250 two-stroke (even a new one) would not be my first choice for a new dirt rider. Your bike is most def in need of suspension and bearing service, as well as top end service and proper jetting. Maybe look around for a good used 250 four-stroke. Forget the CRF150 if you weigh more than 120 lbs.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Fri Mar 29th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Disclaimer - I'm NO expert.... but...

I'd just like to say +1 for American Supercamp! One of the best classes ever to learn how to ride and control a bike off road AND on road.

I'd also say you could, if you wanted, just do some easy mods and tuning to that YZ and have a great (and easy to ride) bike. But the 250 4-stk is not a bad idea. I just love my 2-smoker

Also curious how you hurt your foot... did you have on solid protective MX boots? Those generally prevent damage even during pretty bad spills. Generally.

Other than that... get the fleshy bit atop the bike in shape! I highly recommend Mt Biking and Kettlebells for building up the strength and endurance needed for off-road riding (or serious on-road riding).

Good luck!!
    --- Jack

Don't ever confuse having a career with having a life.

Quote Originally Posted by DucWise View Post
    Disclaimer - I'm NO expert.... but...

I'd just like to say +1 for American Supercamp! One of the best classes ever to learn how to ride and control a bike off road AND on road.

I'd also say you could, if you wanted, just do some easy mods and tuning to that YZ and have a great (and easy to ride) bike. But the 250 4-stk is not a bad idea. I just love my 2-smoker

Also curious how you hurt your foot... did you have on solid protective MX boots? Those generally prevent damage even during pretty bad spills. Generally.

Other than that... get the fleshy bit atop the bike in shape! I highly recommend Mt Biking and Kettlebells for building up the strength and endurance needed for off-road riding (or serious on-road riding).

Good luck!!
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I was actually wearing mx boots and I'm in great shape (workouts every day even when i couldnt walk). I came down on the back side of a jump and locked up the rear (inadvertent braking) so the bike slid out from under me and ended up on my foot. I dunno if it was the impact or it twisted but it was pretty brutal! Google Lisfranc injury to see the extent of the damage.

Thanks again. This superbike camp is based in Ft Collins? Way cool. Definitely signing up!

Ouch!