Thread: Insurance Cards on Smart Phones?

Insurance Cards on Smart Phones?

If you take a picture of the front and back of your proof of insurance card, can you show that to a police officer when you are pulled over?
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

Re: Insurance Cards on Smart Phones?

There's an app for that. IME they take the information back to the car. I dunno about you, but I'm not terribly inclined to give an officer my phone to take back to their car and thumb through.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Now every Officer is different, but personally I would accept that so long as it looks unaltered, ID's the vehicle by year/make/model/VIN, and is valid of course. I don't take Insurance back to my car on a traffic stop though, as all I'm looking for is to see if it's valid. But I'm also fairly progressive, I don't ask for Registration because I just pull it up in the car. It's quicker and easier.

Now if it's on a traffic accident, you'd need to give me your phone as I have to copy a bunch of info from the card.

I carry hard copies of insurance/registration with me. I put both in a ziplock Baggie, which I then Velcro to the underside of the rear seat/cover. When I'm stopped I just pull out the Baggie and hand it to the Officer, and I have the cards in there so the Baggie doesn't need to be opened.

I thought about the fact that I wouldn't want to give my phone to him to take back to the car. I guess I will just carry the card on me.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

And that's a decision that you have the right to make, but having been on the flip side, I've never done anything on somebody's phone beyond what I needed to. Mostly because I doubt anyone with anything I'd care about on their phone would willingly give it to me, so why waste my time looking? That, and I've got a job to do and get done, I don't really have time to read your text messages with your mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    And that's a decision that you have the right to make, but having been on the flip side, I've never done anything on somebody's phone beyond what I needed to. Mostly because I doubt anyone with anything I'd care about on their phone would willingly give it to me, so why waste my time looking? That, and I've got a job to do and get done, I don't really have time to read your text messages with your mistress.
    '
    People be nosey lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I gave my paper to an officer once and it has just expired, I was going to pull it up on the phone through the insurance's website. She said that she only accept paper. But she let me go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!

Apparently I was mistaken, an electronic copy of your Insurance IS valid in Colorado, but the Officer can bring it back to their car to view it.

The applicant for a motor vehicle registration shall provide the Department with the proof of insurance certificate or insurance identification card provided to the applicant by the applicant's insurer pursuant to section 10-4-604.5, C.R.S., or shall provide proof of insurance in such other media as listed below:

• Electronic proof of insurance that is not otherwise available to the Department. This may be, but is not limited to, insurer provided electronic image/proof on applicant's cellular phone, lap top, or other portable type of electronic device.

I just carry my three cards in my wallet. And one in each vehicle as well.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    I just carry my three cards in my wallet. And one in each vehicle as well.

Same here. I must be old fashioned.

CSC co-founder

A co-founder got pulled over for speeding. He was asked for all the "jazz". The officer noticed all the plastic baggies (it was raining).. he laughed & said that will take a while as everything is in a plastic baggie. He then proceeded to start pulling out everything, which was in a "baggie"!!!!!

The officer let him go cuz of this.
    PHX, AZ