Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qatar GP

Re: Qatar GP

Spies hit the ground hard earlier, that probably didn't help him. Good to see Vale compete up front again. Looks to be a fun series again this year!

I hate calling a shot, which is why I'm not going too, but if the race in Qatar is indicative of the upcoming season for Rossi. I'd say he's going to make a serious run at the Championship.

If Rossi can manage to break one more off. He'd tie Agostini and pretty much silence everyone who's ever doubted his abilities. It would then prove to the world that Ducati has an inferior bike and one that they alone refuse to improve.

And I'm not just piling on Ducati to pile on. I honestly wish they would improve the bike because I really like Hayden and somewhat like Dovi. That being said, it's not going to happen. However, it would show that even Rossi couldn't fix what they won't fix themselves. The 2007 Stoner season was an anomaly for them. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 show nothing but Ducati going in reverse, while the rest of the MotoGP paddock passed them by.

I don't know, even finishing 2nd in the Championship would still show Rossi is back with a vengeance and not done yet. But putting another Championship on an already big scoreboard of his, would completely seal his legacy.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I hate calling a shot, which is why I'm not going too, but if the race in Qatar is indicative of the upcoming season for Rossi. I'd say he's going to make a serious run at the Championship.

If Rossi can manage to break one more off. He'd tie Agostini and pretty much silence everyone who's ever doubted his abilities. It would then prove to the world that Ducati has an inferior bike and one that they alone refuse to improve.

And I'm not just piling on Ducati to pile on. I honestly wish they would improve the bike because I really like Hayden and somewhat like Dovi. That being said, it's not going to happen. However, it would show that even Rossi couldn't fix what they won't fix themselves. The 2007 Stoner season was an anomaly for them. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 show nothing but Ducati going in reverse, while the rest of the MotoGP paddock passed them by.

I don't know, even finishing 2nd in the Championship would still show Rossi is back with a vengeance and not done yet. But putting another Championship on an already big scoreboard of his, would completely seal his legacy.
    Well put and I totally agree.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Senior Member Moderator

I don't think it necessarily proves that the Desmosedici is an inferior bike, but, as we saw last weekend, it proves that Rossi is ridiculously faster on the M1. All bikes have their different strengths and weaknesses, and it takes a lot of chemistry between rider and machine to make magic happen.

That said, Rossi is in fantastic form and wickedly fast on the Yamaha. It's a shame he ran wide and had to fight his way back. If he hadn't, Lorenzo would have had a fight on his hands. Here's also hoping that Marquez can consistently pose a threat to Rossi and Lorenzo throughout the season.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I believe Ago still has a bunch more wins (122), and if I remember 15 total championships, including 8 in the 500cc (top) class. Also, in that era he would qualify and race 2, sometimes 3 races/classes a day. In addition, the IOM race was still on the calendar as part of the GP circuit until, what, the mid-'70's?

So, while I love Rossi, he still has a ways to go yet before rising above Ago.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Mon Apr 8th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

im super excited for ducati this year and moving forward. audi doesnt lose at motorsports. they will have a competitive bike sometime.

That was beddy beddy nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    I believe Ago still has a bunch more wins (122), and if I remember 15 total championships, including 8 in the 500cc (top) class. Also, in that era he would qualify and race 2, sometimes 3 races/classes a day. In addition, the IOM race was still on the calendar as part of the GP circuit until, what, the mid-'70's?

So, while I love Rossi, he still has a ways to go yet before rising above Ago.
    He needs 8 to tie in premier class if memory serves me correct. Also I'd have to look but I believe Rossi has more premier class wins than Agostini.

Edit: yep just checked. Rossi = 79 wins and Agostini = 68
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Mon Apr 8th, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'm glad Rossi screwed up on the first lap. Valentino having to come from behind for the win is all part of the Rossi legend. I also think that it was amazing that it took as long as it did to get past Bradl, considering that once Rossi made the overtake, he reeled in and then blew by crutchlow, pedrosa and marquez in one fell swoop. So, good on Bradl even though he lost the front and crashed.

As far as legends go, Rossi will do to every rider that comes along, the same thing that he did to Seti Gibernau and Max Biaggi. The only clear exception to that would be his team mate Jorge Lorenzo. I agree that riders like Mike Hailwood and Ago and Joey Dunlop were all great at the Isle of Man and, that Ago has won more than anybody else. But the wins totals are different now because since Fast Freddy Spencer did the the double (250 & 500 gp's) in one year, everything has changed. With the Moto2/Moto3 format, Nobody is going to hop off of one bike and hop on to another and compete in multiple classes all during the same race weekend.

... if you want to see a legend who is still out there racing, Rossi is the only one. 9 world championships (7 in the premier class) makes you a legend. Eddie Lawson and Kenny Roberts combined have 7 premier class championships between them, just to put things into perspective.

Personally, I think that Rossi has yet another championship left in him and I can't wait for Catalunya.

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.

was very impressed wish the battle was for first and not second but that was awesome
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Was anyone else impressed by Crutchlow? Amazing run on that tech3! I still wish Dev would have kept the Duc up in the standings but there is still a whole season to see how things pan out.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

BTW Piratebay has the Qatar torrent if anyone is looking for it!
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

He needs 8 to tie in premier class if memory serves me correct. Also I'd have to look but I believe Rossi has more premier class wins than Agostini.

Edit: yep just checked. Rossi = 79 wins and Agostini = 68
    Yeah, like I said before, 8. So, he's still now down 8 titles total at this time. He better hurry up! (Don't think even Rossi will ever approach 15 though).

Rossi may have more top class wins, but Ago has 122 total, so, Rossi still has a ways to go yet. And considering the racing conditions then vs. now and the fact that Ago raced 2-3 classes instead of one with a LOT less safety gear (and TC and stability control...)......

It is like comparing apples and oranges though.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by DanFZ1 View Post
    I'm glad Rossi screwed up on the first lap. Valentino having to come from behind for the win is all part of the Rossi legend. I also think that it was amazing that it took as long as it did to get past Bradl, considering that once Rossi made the overtake, he reeled in and then blew by crutchlow, pedrosa and marquez in one fell swoop. So, good on Bradl even though he lost the front and crashed.

As far as legends go, Rossi will do to every rider that comes along, the same thing that he did to Seti Gibernau and Max Biaggi. The only clear exception to that would be his team mate Jorge Lorenzo. I agree that riders like Mike Hailwood and Ago and Joey Dunlop were all great at the Isle of Man and, that Ago has won more than anybody else. But the wins totals are different now because since Fast Freddy Spencer did the the double (250 & 500 gp's) in one year, everything has changed. With the Moto2/Moto3 format, Nobody is going to hop off of one bike and hop on to another and compete in multiple classes all during the same race weekend.

... if you want to see a legend who is still out there racing, Rossi is the only one. 9 world championships (7 in the premier class) makes you a legend. Eddie Lawson and Kenny Roberts combined have 7 premier class championships between them, just to put things into perspective.

Personally, I think that Rossi has yet another championship left in him and I can't wait for Catalunya.
    Holy shit, a post from Dave!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post
    Was anyone else impressed by Crutchlow? Amazing run on that tech3! I still wish Dev would have kept the Duc up in the standings but there is still a whole season to see how things pan out.
    I'm pretty impressed with Crutchlow. I also like his personality, which people have said is very Mladin like. Yamaha brass may have a different opinion on his personality.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Yeah, like I said before, 8. So, he's still now down 8 titles total at this time. He better hurry up! (Don't think even Rossi will ever approach 15 though).

Rossi may have more top class wins, but Ago has 122 total, so, Rossi still has a ways to go yet. And considering the racing conditions then vs. now and the fact that Ago raced 2-3 classes instead of one with a LOT less safety gear (and TC and stability control...)......

It is like comparing apples and oranges though.
    Obviously Rossi can't amass the total overall championship wins. He's not going to go backwards and race in Moto2/3, which is where Agostini accumulated 8 of his total championships(in classes that were not the Premier MotoGP class).

I was merely comparing Premier Class Championships to Premier Class Championships. In that sense, Rossi only needs one to tie and two to surpass Agostini.

In regards to overall wins, sure Agostini has 122, Rossi has 105. I'm thinking 17 wins isn't such a hurdle to overcome(especially since Sunday's performance in Qatar). Sure he needs to at least split them over the next two seasons to do it(9 and but it's still a very good possibility that he can and might do it.

We also don't know if Rossi will stay in MotoGP passed 2014. I'm thinking that if he produces the results Yamaha and him are looking for, and if he can get remotely close to the 122 overall wins. He may stay on one more year to try and surpass that number(regardless of winning a championship or not). Agostini was in the game 15 years and Rossi going on 18. If he's showing no signs of slowing down, I'm thinking Rossi will hang around some more(I'd say at least until he's 36 or 37 years old).

I say we'll have to wait and see what transpires in the next few years. I know I called it when Rossi was going to make the move back to Yamaha. But that's where my crystal ball ends. As much as I want to call this season another Championship season for him, I can't because I've got to see some more racing from him. My honest opinion though, is I think he's got a superb chance of racking up another championship this year. Qatar was never his best track(though he's won there 3 times) and like I say, if his performance at Qatar is indicative of the season to come, I'd put money on Rossi snagging another championship.

That's what's going to make 2013 a season to remember in my opinion. Rossi is hungrier than ever. Even though he has said he's got nothing to prove. He does, and I think he's going to use that to fuel his fire this year. Coming off of two crappy years with Ducati, Rossi is looking to smack everyone on the paddock.

It's been said, "Valentino Rossi, write him off at your peril."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

here's a pretty good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajWVPHdUt1g

not a huge fan of techno music but it fits...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

That is a horrible song lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    That is a horrible song lol
    I know, ruined the highlight video. I can't stand crappy techno music..
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I don't know if any of you watched the Moto3 race but that was a hell of a race, 5 people fighting it out for 1st place in the last couple laps, continuous passing back and forth, Less than 1 second between 1st through 5th, and 2nd place was a photo finish decided by 6/1000 of a second, great race!
    Last edited by UHATEIT; Tue Apr 9th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    I don't know if any of you watched the Moto3 race but that was a hell of a race, 5 people fighting it out for 1st place in the last couple laps, continuous passing back and forth, Less than 1 second between 1st through 5th, and 2nd place was a photo finish decided by 6/1000 of a second, great race!
    Gonna have to pull that race tomorrow on motogp and see it
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Holy shit, a post from Dave!
    'sup frank! how's it hangin'?

Announcer On Radio: Eyewitnesses say that the bees are yellow and black, and dress much the way Eli Wallach did in the movie "The Magnificant Seven". The bees are also overweight..
    Chevy Chase: Wait a minute.. you must be..
    Elliot Gould: That's right, gringo.. the Killer Bees.

I'm watching the main onboard video of the race and it shows when Rossi ran wide and holy shit that was a close one for sure, he did good running wide instead of sticking it or else he could've kissed 2nd place good bye for sure.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I'm watching the main onboard video of the race and it shows when Rossi ran wide and holy shit that was a close one for sure, he did good running wide instead of sticking it or else he could've kissed 2nd place good bye for sure.
    you're able to view onboard / multiple camera angles when in replay mode?

I was watching the main gp race sunday afternoon and there was no option to do that. I'll have to check again when I get home. I was thinking that maybe that feature was only available in live mode now