Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grim's new toy!!!

Talking Grim's new toy!!!

So first off, those who gave me advice, tips, and thoughts on other bikes and what would be a better fit for me I would like to say thank you! (Except Clovis your advice sucked).

Second a little background, I had the ninja for 2 years and managed to put 17,000 miles on it I loved it and learned a ton on it, I have Bueller, Cornfed, Rybo, and a few others to thank for being able to ride at the pace and confidence I do, the tips and training I have received has been very valuable. With that being said, after riding the DRZ400SM for 9 months and getting used to a whole new riding style everything changed for me. On the first warm day I took the ninja out for a little jaunt in the mountains. Everything just felt off, my positioning felt wrong, it felt like I had taken a huge step backwards. I adapted to the fact that something was wrong and took it easy. Went on a ride up Central City Parkway with a group and let me say this it was ugly, on the first right hander which is the best turn to get plenty of speed and hold a nice lean angle, my right knee started to burn like hell, I couldn't focus, and it just wasn't fun. Anyone who was on that ride whom has ridden with me before knows that the whole ride/day was not me.

After the canyons as I was heading home on C-470 I started thinking "what is wrong? What has changed in the last 9 months?" A couple of things started to come to mind and turned out to be the underlying factor why riding the Ninja was no longer enjoyable for me. I have gained around 10 lbs since I last rode the ninja and as that may not seem like much it in fact is! My body has literally adapted to the seating position of the DRZ and it happened so fast because it was so comfortable and felt right. The weight comes in from the sport bike position of leaning foreword it was more energy being exerted in my legs to hold my upper body up (as I was taught to not use my arms to hold myself up). Therefore when I was getting off to the side of the bike to take the turn my legs were already tired and building up lactic acid. With the more upright seated position my legs aren't being used as much. As I was riding home it was then I decided I should look into a different bike that would accommodate what my body had adapted to and still allow me to have fun in the canyons, and the track should I decide to go.

After deliberation I had a list of bikes that were to be tested out and see how I liked them, I won't go down the list as I'm sure some of you just want to see what I got already.

I ended up picking up a 2003 Suzuki SV1000, I test rode one that Zucker had in his garage (thank you sir even though it had a flat front tire ). I picked this little cherry up this morning 9,000 miles, two brothers exhaust slip ons, and the big score was this happened to be the one model and one year that they had the stock street fighter front end on the SV1000 and it doesn't have that god awful front fairing. So without further delay here are some pics!

Love at first ride, I took a nice long ride home, hitting a few very minor twisties and everything was amazing, the seating position was perfect, the power was amazing, handling, and that exhaust.....ohhhh that exhaust! I felt great when I got home my legs felt fine, my back was great, it's everything I could have hoped for. I look foreword to my nice long rides and writing up some reviews on how she feels.
    Last edited by Grim2.0; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.

Re: Grim's new toy!!!

Nice bike! "Streetfighter" front end? I think you mean naked front end

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Nice bike! "Streetfighter" front end? I think you mean naked front end
    There's a difference?

nice Grim!!
    Aprilia RSV Mille R

VTwins are cool. Nice SV
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Very nice!! Good looking SV. I'm still hoping to sell sv650 and get a 1000 as well.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Senior Member Moderator

Grats on joining the SV community, Grim. Does this mean you're on for the Devil's Spine trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Grats on joining the SV community, Grim. Does this mean you're on for the Devil's Spine trip?

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post

So first off, those who gave me advice, tips, and thoughts on other bikes and what would be a better fit for me I would like to say thank you! (Except Clovis your advice sucked).

Nice lookin steed broseph.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Senior Member Moderator

Oh yeah, get that ride a chin spoiler and sargent seat. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Oh yeah, get that ride a chin spoiler and sargent seat. You won't regret it.
    Why the chin spoiler? Just looks or is it some how functional? Does it help airflow, wind noise......?
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Be careful when buying a seat. The 2003 SV650 was a unique year for the seat. The SV1k may be as well.

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Why the chin spoiler? Just looks or is it some how functional? Does it help airflow, wind noise......?
    Just looks, it makes the SV look less plain and more aggressive, but that's just my opinion.

I just recently put one on my SV and I'm absolutely pleased with the look. It gets more looks too!
    Last edited by Drano; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

I'm out on the chin only because I'd hate to buy it just so it can get chipped and scratched by rocks.

Congrats! Looks pretty sweet!

Cool, see you in Arizona!
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

You found one of the hardest to find bikes out there!
    03 was the only year the 1k came naked like that. Very nice find though!
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

I think a broker's fee is needed. J/K. Congrats, man. I am sure that you are going to love that bike. Let me know if you need anything else.

Congratulations, Mr. Grim.

You have stumbled onto my secret. I have the Honda version of your SV, a VTR1000f and I absolutely love it. I think your 1000cc twin is one of the best motorcycles for travel at (mostly) legal speeds, and that sweet set of TB cans must sound awesome!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

'03 Honda vtr1000f Super Hawk
    '07 Honda XR650L

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    Be careful when buying a seat. The 2003 SV650 was a unique year for the seat. The SV1k may be as well.
    It is, 2003 was a very weird year for the SV, but mostly for the better in my opinion.

It really shows how much bikes have to be tailored to their riders. Everything Grimmy just said about the SV I don't feel with mine. I feel so much more at home on my BMW, and my riding skill went up drastically with it just because of how much more confident I am on it.

I'm out on the chin only because I'd hate to buy it just so it can get chipped and scratched by rocks.
    Surprisingly the chin spoiler holds up really well, at least in my experience.

Glad you found a bike you like. You may not have liked mine as much, the 'S' model has a more aggressive seating position. A few mods you absolutely had to do:

aTRE. It's like $20, and makes the lower rev range incredibly smoother. Ask anyone with an SV they'll tell you. Best mod I've done.

TLR short shifter. Another cheap ($35) mod that completely changes the bike. Shifts are much more precise.

If I had 4k I'd pick your SV up. The 1000's are hard to come by and mainly the non S he just got. Congrats on the bike Sean.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Nice pick up. But you have to do something about those mirrors.

Very nice SV - always had a soft spot for those since it was technically my first motorcycle ride ever. Also sweet garage floor, can I play checkers? LOL no but seriously p/m with what you did to your floor I'm looking to do something similar.