Thread: Grim's new toy!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Grim's new toy!!!

So first off, those who gave me advice, tips, and thoughts on other bikes and what would be a better fit for me I would like to say thank you! (Except Clovis your advice sucked).

Second a little background, I had the ninja for 2 years and managed to put 17,000 miles on it I loved it and learned a ton on it, I have Bueller, Cornfed, Rybo, and a few others to thank for being able to ride at the pace and confidence I do, the tips and training I have received has been very valuable. With that being said, after riding the DRZ400SM for 9 months and getting used to a whole new riding style everything changed for me. On the first warm day I took the ninja out for a little jaunt in the mountains. Everything just felt off, my positioning felt wrong, it felt like I had taken a huge step backwards. I adapted to the fact that something was wrong and took it easy. Went on a ride up Central City Parkway with a group and let me say this it was ugly, on the first right hander which is the best turn to get plenty of speed and hold a nice lean angle, my right knee started to burn like hell, I couldn't focus, and it just wasn't fun. Anyone who was on that ride whom has ridden with me before knows that the whole ride/day was not me.

After the canyons as I was heading home on C-470 I started thinking "what is wrong? What has changed in the last 9 months?" A couple of things started to come to mind and turned out to be the underlying factor why riding the Ninja was no longer enjoyable for me. I have gained around 10 lbs since I last rode the ninja and as that may not seem like much it in fact is! My body has literally adapted to the seating position of the DRZ and it happened so fast because it was so comfortable and felt right. The weight comes in from the sport bike position of leaning foreword it was more energy being exerted in my legs to hold my upper body up (as I was taught to not use my arms to hold myself up). Therefore when I was getting off to the side of the bike to take the turn my legs were already tired and building up lactic acid. With the more upright seated position my legs aren't being used as much. As I was riding home it was then I decided I should look into a different bike that would accommodate what my body had adapted to and still allow me to have fun in the canyons, and the track should I decide to go.

After deliberation I had a list of bikes that were to be tested out and see how I liked them, I won't go down the list as I'm sure some of you just want to see what I got already.

I ended up picking up a 2003 Suzuki SV1000, I test rode one that Zucker had in his garage (thank you sir even though it had a flat front tire ). I picked this little cherry up this morning 9,000 miles, two brothers exhaust slip ons, and the big score was this happened to be the one model and one year that they had the stock street fighter front end on the SV1000 and it doesn't have that god awful front fairing. So without further delay here are some pics!

Love at first ride, I took a nice long ride home, hitting a few very minor twisties and everything was amazing, the seating position was perfect, the power was amazing, handling, and that exhaust.....ohhhh that exhaust! I felt great when I got home my legs felt fine, my back was great, it's everything I could have hoped for. I look foreword to my nice long rides and writing up some reviews on how she feels.
    Last edited by Grim2.0; Sat Apr 13th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.