Thread: Tempted, very tempted...

Senior Member Moderator

Tempted, very tempted...

So, a friend of mine has a 2001 KLX300R that he has rarely ridden since he bought it brand new. I've been helping him get it back in working order after he left it sitting in his garage for 5 years and he's planning on selling it since he never uses it. It literally has less than 100 miles on it, but it got rashed up from a crash he had on his last ride. I'm pretty sure I could take it off his hands for $1500.

I'm really thinking about buying it and making a sumo out of it. I know I can get a street legal kit for it for about $500.00 and do the wheels and tires in due time.
    https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/car...Baja%20Designs

What do you guys think? Should I do it?
    Last edited by Drano; Sat Apr 27th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Re: Tempted, very tempted...

Making these bike street legal is not too hard, but getting them plated seems like a nightmare. I have heard that there are some who have been able to do it, but the restrictions are getting tougher and tougher.

I would think about a bike that is already plated, or you could just get a drz!

Plating a bike like that is not difficult, as long as you don't try to shortcut the process. Basically, it needs a working headlight, tail light, brake light, DOT approved tires, One mirror (Left side), and a horn audible from 200 feet. Once the bike has the appropriate equipment installed, you need to get a Verified VIN inspection and a Certificate of Equipment Compliance, both of which have to be filled out by a Certified VIN inspector (typically the State Patrol, which does inspections by appointment a couple days a week, and first come first serve on Saturdays). Once you have this paperwork, you take it, a bill of sale or MSO, and your proof of insurance to the county clerk's office, pay your money, and leave with a plate.

NADA shows a blue book value for that bike in average condition at $1260, so it'd have to be pretty cherry to be a deal at $1500.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Plating a bike like that is not difficult, as long as you don't try to shortcut the process. Basically, it needs a working headlight, tail light, brake light, DOT approved tires, One mirror (Left side), and a horn audible from 200 feet. Once the bike has the appropriate equipment installed, you need to get a Verified VIN inspection and a Certificate of Equipment Compliance, both of which have to be filled out by a Certified VIN inspector (typically the State Patrol, which does inspections by appointment a couple days a week, and first come first serve on Saturdays). Once you have this paperwork, you take it, a bill of sale or MSO, and your proof of insurance to the county clerk's office, pay your money, and leave with a plate.

NADA shows a blue book value for that bike in average condition at $1260, so it'd have to be pretty cherry to be a deal at $1500.
    Cool! Thanks for the information, Jim. I'll definitely adjust my asking price. Now I just need to get the wife on-board. When I mentioned I was thinking about getting the bike she actually considered it so I'm liking my chances.

I would just beat the shit out of that on dirt and get something more appropriate for a sumo.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

My friend and I both have 04 KLX300's for trail riding (mechanically, all KLX300's are the same from 97-07). Like others have said, there are far better bikes out there for sumo. But for strictly trail riding in the mountains on technical single-track, there is no better bike!!...IMO
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

i say DO IT!
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left that I could say, "I used everything that you gave me."

RIDES:
    2011 GSXR 750(track)

2007 GSXR 600(street)stolen

2005 GSXR 600(track)

2005 Honda 600rr(track)

keep it for dirt. you will have WAY more fun offroad if you already own a street bike.

I agree there are far better platforms for a sumo. Plating a dirtbike has some real advantages when you're trying to connect trails, or you're camping and need to make a beer run...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Senior Member Moderator

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely still get it plated since there are tons of places I can go around here. I agree that there are better bikes to sumo, but I'll probably still do it just for kicks. It's going to be too much fun to resist.
    Last edited by Drano; Wed Apr 24th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

I converted and plated a dirt model DRZ, and I agree with the other guys. Would have been a lot easier (and cheaper!) to just buy a street legal sumo. Beware with bill of sale only, you may have to post a bond to get a plate.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Senior Member Moderator

Well I've decided against buying the bike. Considering the amount of items I would want to buy to make it the way I want, I couldn't justify the expense. I'll just keep saving my money a for few more months and get a DRZ that already has most of the things I want anyway.

I'm guessing everyone is talking because its used to Plate being difficult. My 2012 GasGas EC300 was a breeze bank handled the plating with the MSO *shrug* I did not even need the inspection.

If there is no MSO or Title you will need to post a bond. Of course you could always share a plate if you own another Kawasaki...LOL I have never had a cop check the VIN, and a bike is a bike to 99.99% of the cops out there, a Cop thought my GasGas was a Honda...oh well