Thread: Seeking science teaching job

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

Seeking science teaching job

Well, kids, as you know I am graduating from University of Northern Colorado's Earth Science program, with a Master's of Art in Geology (concentration: Education).

If you know of any secondary science teaching position open in the Northern Colorado metroplex, kindly let me know.

Re: Seeking science teaching job

Dunno if you have given any thought to it, but a MA Geology should be able to make a lot better pay doing oil & gas geology work than education.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

not everybody is in it for the money.
    some of us just like to make a difference!
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

working in the O&G industry makes you really realize that money doesn't buy happiness. But it makes paying cash for an R6 a lot easier...

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    working in the O&G industry makes you really realize that money doesn't buy happiness. But it makes paying cash for an R6 a lot easier...
    R6 = Happiness
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Trust me when I tell you that I would not turn up my nose at an oil and gas job. I may seek consulting work in summer months.

If teaching doesn't pan out, I can always go into the fields. The Julesberg Basin is rife with petrochemicals.

It's a really up and down industry, but if you are responsible with money (which you better be if you're a teacher) you should be able to be glad when the down time comes around and enjoy the time off. They just did a contraband search of all the workers vehicles yesterday and my co-worker had a gun in his truck so he's off and I'm working a 36 hour shift because we don't have many people working for our company who live in Denver so a replacement is two states away...

It's a really up and down industry, but if you are responsible with money (which you better be if you're a teacher) you should be able to be glad when the down time comes around and enjoy the time off. They just did a contraband search of all the workers vehicles yesterday and my co-worker had a gun in his truck so he's off and I'm working a 36 hour shift because we don't have many people working for our company who live in Denver so a replacement is two states away...
    Who did a contraband search? And why? What kind of Nazi enterprise is that?

The operator, Pioneer. I don't know it's really stupid. I get them not wanting guns on location because somebody can get pissed off at somebody and... but it still sucks because lots of guys travel across the country and carry.

Worst is the people who get busted for having beers in their vehicle that they didn't know about. Why not breathalyze and drug test, makes no sense for them get you in trouble just for having unopened alcohol or ammunition. I would have been screwed too because I thought I was going to go skiing this week so I threw my jacket in the car (which had a bottle of rumpleminz and whiskey in its pockets) and completely forgot about it. Luckily I wasn't working or that woulda been me too.

Yea, I totally get why you'd prefer to teach than work in the fields. It definitely is selling your life away

The operator, Pioneer. I don't know it's really stupid. I get them not wanting guns on location because somebody can get pissed off at somebody and... but it still sucks because lots of guys travel across the country and carry.

Worst is the people who get busted for having beers in their vehicle that they didn't know about. Why not breathalyze and drug test, makes no sense for them get you in trouble just for having unopened alcohol or ammunition. I would have been screwed too because I thought I was going to go skiing this week so I threw my jacket in the car (which had a bottle of rumpleminz and whiskey in its pockets) and completely forgot about it. Luckily I wasn't working or that woulda been me too.

Yea, I totally get why you'd prefer to teach than work in the fields. It definitely is selling your life away
    The funny part is that nobody would ever want to search through a teacher's car, for fear of finding all the pot (LOL). Joking.

Anyway, what's the point of worrying about what some worker has in his vehicle? I just don't get it. It's an extension of his or her personal living quarters. Why does Corporate America think it has some need to go pawing through its worker's private lives? Sure, it's their parking lot and all, but JEEZE!

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    The funny part is that nobody would ever want to search through a teacher's car, for fear of finding all the pot (LOL). Joking.

Anyway, what's the point of worrying about what some worker has in his vehicle? I just don't get it. It's an extension of his or her personal living quarters. Why does Corporate America think it has some need to go pawing through its worker's private lives? Sure, it's their parking lot and all, but JEEZE!
    Plus with some of these schools you would be crazy to not have a gun in your car in case a crazy student tries to follow you home. My mom is a retired school teacher and the stuff they have to put up now with disrespectful kids is horrible!

I know in my school a teacher got jumped by students and another one had their car blew up.

I still do not get why teachers are paid so low and not respected as they should. Sad most teachers do it for little pay and just for the pleasure of teaching. I feel they shape our future and should get paid like doctors and lawyers!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Plus with some of these schools you would be crazy to not have a gun in your car in case a crazy student tries to follow you home. My mom is a retired school teacher and the stuff they have to put up now with disrespectful kids is horrible!

I know in my school a teacher got jumped by students and another one had their car blew up.

I still do not get why teachers are paid so low and not respected as they should. Sad most teachers do it for little pay and just for the pleasure of teaching. I feel they shape our future and should get paid like doctors and lawyers!
    I went through four years of additional schooling for my M.A., went in debt $70k for student loans, worked for free in a school for 5 months, and have done countless ridiculous amounts of 12+ hour days in education.

All for a job where I'll be lucky if I crack $36k/yr. I love teaching and enjoy kids (most of the time) but if I told you guys how arrogant and entitled many of them are, you'd laugh your butts off. These folks are about to hit the workforce. You will be managing them.

Don't blame us! We're not their parents, although we've had to take on that role as mommie and daddie are either too busy making huge salaries or are even less mature than their sons and daughters to raise them right.

Honestly, some of my kids don't have any money, but all of them have those giant smartphones with the huge data plans on them (God Knows how any of them afford to keep them turned on).

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    I went through four years of additional schooling for my M.A., went in debt $70k for student loans, worked for free in a school for 5 months, and have done countless ridiculous amounts of 12+ hour days in education.

All for a job where I'll be lucky if I crack $36k/yr. I love teaching and enjoy kids (most of the time) but if I told you guys how arrogant and entitled many of them are, you'd laugh your butts off. These folks are about to hit the workforce. You will be managing them.

Don't blame us! We're not their parents, although we've had to take on that role as mommie and daddie are either too busy making huge salaries or are even less mature than their sons and daughters to raise them right.

Honestly, some of my kids don't have any money, but all of them have those giant smartphones with the huge data plans on them (God Knows how any of them afford to keep them turned on).
    I hear you man! Both my mom and grandmother(her mom) were teachers and I have no idea how they did it as kids seem to get worse and worse each year. My mom has been cursed out, spit on, yelled at by parents when she disciplined the kid, and one kids even punched her (that was the day I nearly lost it and beat up a elementary kid). And all for what….a lousy $36K (if that). I grew up poor as hell because my mom got paid so little when she probably could have got a different job with less stress and more pay. Yet she did it for the kids; most who didn’t appreciate it anyways. I give anyone props that is a teacher now!

Like I said she use to get into it with parents all the time who thought there kids were angels, but the reason they were so bad is usually because the parents were bad parents. I am amazed how horrible some parents are because if I had a kid and they hit a teacher, there is no way I would ever try to justify that and my kid would be in huge trouble. Yet parents come in and get mad you discipline their kids….because they obviously are not doing it at home. I was raised to always respect my elders, yet most kids nowadays don’t have that respect.

Yeah the expensive smart phone thing stumps me too how all these kids afford it. All I can think is most parents “buy” their love. I get a cellphone for contacting parents, but when you give them unlimited data you are opening a huge world out there on the internet that they get to see….scary to me considering what site I have seen. Kids should have to earn this privilege and then they will see the value of things. I remember asking for a pager in HS because all the other kids had one. My mom told me "Sure, get a job and get one". At the time it annoyed me, but I got that job and now feel I appreciate things way more because I earned them.
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri May 10th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!