Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Colorado's own Motorcycle Roadracing Association MRA's Avatar

Thumbs up Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!? UPDATED

No, this is not a scam!

This is an invitation for you to come cornerwork the MRA races! Stand within feet of the track and get a "front-row" view of Colorado's fastest people on 2-wheels! No experience is necessary, as training is given each morning to any newcomers. Hotel reimbursement is available for out-of-town races (details below).

What exactly is cornerworking (& do I have to pick up bikes?)?

Cornerworking, in a nutshell, is a combination of ensuring the track is safe for all riders, and assisting riders who have crashed or had mechanical failures. This is accomplished through 2 separate roles that you can fulfill:
    1. Flagger: a flagger stands ahead of the corner, and notifies bikes if there is anything in the upcoming corner they need to be careful for (i.e.: debris; bike/people; ambulance). A flagger's only job is to flag - they do not leave their post to pick up bikes or assist riders.
    2. Runner: a runner's primary responsibility is to assist downed riders & mechanical failures, and when possible, remove debris from the track.

So, if you don't want to pick up bikes, you don't have to. If you do, and you're assigned to a corner with someone else who does, then you can coordinate trading duties with them. When staffing permits, there may also be a corner-captain, but often times the runner also fulfills this role.

Water & Gatorade is provided to help you stay hydrated. A free hot lunch is provided thru the on-site concessions.

Pay is as follows:
    • Starting pay is $75 per day
    • To reward people who keep coming back year after year, anybody who worked more than half the races in the preceeding year is considered "Experienced" and will receive $100 per day.

Hotel Reimbursement:

Since you are required to show up very early in the morning, hotel reimbursement is available for both Friday and Saturday night for out-of-town races (Pueblo and PPIR). You must work all of both days in order to qualify for reimbursement. Hotels are reimbursed up-to $45 per person, per night (if you share a room with another cornerworker, that can get you up-to a $90/night room - don't forget about taxes tho, so more realistically, closer to $80/night).

What time does it start? How long is the day?
    Cornerworkers are asked to show up at 6:45 each morning. Saturday has the potential to run until 5PM, but may finish earlier. Sunday typically finishes around 4PM. The end of each day may be delayed by the number/severity of crashes.

Yes, it's a long day, but it's good for you (you're outside & you're on your feet - that's better for you than sitting on the couch! ), it's good for the MRA racers (without cornerworkers, they can't race!!), it's a great group of people, and during lunch & at the end of the day, you can walk thru the pits and talk to racers.

What to bring (and what NOT to bring)?
    • First of all, DO NOT wear anything Yellow or Red (that includes your hat or gloves)
    • White pants (blue jeans are acceptable) - NO SHORTS!
    • White T-shirt (or mostly white) - long- or short-sleeve is up to you. After you work a few events, you will receive an official Corner Marshal shirt
    • Comfortable shoes/boots - you'll be on your feet most of the day - NO SANDALS!
    • Belt (or similar) to clip a radio to.
    • Earplugs - in case you don't get a radio or don't get one of the big headsets
    • Gloves to protect your hands while handling bikes. Leather work gloves are ideal for this.
    • Hat & sunglasses to protect you from standing out in the sun all day.
    • Sunscreen (SPF 30 or greater)
    • Jacket and/or sweatshirt - it can be chilly in the mornings!
    • Rain gear (just in case) - jacket/pants style preferred, and can also be used to help stay warm - NO RED OR YELLOW RAIN SUITS! The MRA races in the rain at most tracks, and the corners tend to get muddy, so you also want to bring appropriate boots, and a change of clothes for the ride home.
    • Food - even though lunch will be provided, you may want to bring your own snacks and/or a few dollars for the concession stand.
    • Backpack or bucket and/or cooler - to carry your gear, drinks/food to/from your corner. Buckets (with lids) and coolers can be used as a seat to rest your legs/lower-back in-between races.
    • Bring your friends along so they can cornerwork too!
    • And finally, DO NOT wear anything Yellow or Red!!!

When/where are the races?

Here is the schedule for 2014
    • 5/10 - 5/11 Round 1 HPR Full Course
    • 5/31 - 6/1 Round 2 HPR Full Course/4-Hour Endurance
    • 6/21 - 6/22 Round 3 Pueblo
    • 7/19 - 7/20 Round 4 PPIR
    • 8/9 - 8/10 Round 5 HPR - North Course
    • 8/23 - 8/24 Round 6 HPR - Full Course
    • 9/13 - 9/14 Round 7 PPIR

I'm in - how do I sign up?

Last edited by MRA; Tue Jan 28th, 2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Updated for 2014!
    The Motorcycle Roadracing Association is 501(c)(7) non-profit organization dedicated to promoting safe and competitive motorcycle road racing events for enthusiasts in Colorado and the surrounding area. For more information, go to http://www.mra-racing.org/

Please like us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/MotorcycleR...ingAssociation
    Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/MRA_Racing

Re: Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!?

If you sign up to corner work for us please post up here. We like to know who to thank. We can't race without you guys.

Sounds like a good time. I'm in.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Sounds like a good time. I'm in.
    I did 3 races last year and I learned a lot watching racers coming into and out of the corners and what not plus you can't beat a day at the track
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

This was how I was able to get into racing. I worked corners, got paid, used that money to do track days. Now with the Super Street Class you can take that money and race...

Also I learned allot about who had the fast line and where.

MRA Racer No.427

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Plus, you can flip us off as we pass by you... which I will be doing to the people I know cornerworking.... and maybe a certain photographer.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Plus, you can flip us off as we pass by you... which I will be doing to the people I know cornerworking.... and maybe a certain photographer.
    Don't make me sign up for Sunday
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Don't make me sign up for Sunday
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

I'll be cornworking this weekend. You should flick me off and see what happens wicky

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I'll be cornworking this weekend. You should flick me off and see what happens wicky
    How bout I blow you a kiss instead?
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I foresee some black flag action for uncalled behavior against the corner authoritay!
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Just don't moon him, or I'll submit that shot to the MRA year end video.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Just don't moon him, or I'll submit that shot to the MRA year end video.
    That'd be difficult with the one piece. Wonder if Nate could make a flap on the back like a onesie....
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Since I can't race this year, ill be there.

Just signed up. I'll be there!

There's been an increase in pay too! Luckyyyyyyy.... That's more than I'd usually make selling photos for an entire race weekend. I was in the wrong business.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=16091
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

There's been an increase in pay too! Luckyyyyyyy.... That's more than I'd usually make selling photos for an entire race weekend. I was in the wrong business.

http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=16091
    Dayumm.. free lunch included.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

Saw that on the forums. May show up sunday to pay for a track day with that... hmmm
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Dag that's a nice bump in pay

In for Sunday
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I see that a lot of you guys are going to be corner working for us. Thank you very much. Please stop by and say hi. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out who I am.