Thread: Off duty Littleton cop killed in motorcycle crash

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Off duty Littleton cop killed in motorcycle crash

http://www.9news.com/news/article/33...torcycle-crash

Littleton Police Officer killed on his personal motorcycle while riding off duty. Common left-turn incident. Police suspect the driver that turned on him was intoxicated.

RIP rider/officer. Condolences to the family and department.

Re: Off duty Littleton cop killed in motorcycle crash

RIP rider and officer... man too much of this going on
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

First off RIP to the officer and condolences to his kin.

Secondly, if this happened to ANYONE other than the officer it wouldn't have made a head line. It ain't a level playing field. The media is fucked
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Secondly, if this happened to ANYONE other than the officer it wouldn't have made a head line. It ain't a level playing field. The media is fucked
    I absolutely do not disagree that the media is fucked. Although I will say that the vast majority of the far-too-many fatal motorcycle accidents so far this year have been on local news.

RIP officer. I wonder if this will lead to any toughening of penalties for left-turners, or simply written off as another DUI caused accident.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

RIP :-(
    John
    KTM Duke 690

RIP
    "Gun's don't kill people, ape's with Gun's kill people."
    Robin williams

RIP! Too many deaths in such a short amount of time.

The story said he was wearing a helmet, but it fell off. Wonder if it would have made a difference. So sad either way.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    RIP! Too many deaths in such a short amount of time.

The story said he was wearing a helmet, but it fell off. Wonder if it would have made a difference. So sad either way.
    I hate to say this, but he may have forgotten to cinch his helmet. I cannot believe that I am admitting this, but occasionally I will ride to the store or something closeby in town and when I get there, I go to take off my lid and I realize I never cinched the strap. It has never happened when I go canyon riding, but it worries me nonetheless.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

RIP officer, Godspeed.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

First off RIP to the officer and condolences to his kin.

Huh? There's an article on basically every fatality.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    I hate to say this, but he may have forgotten to cinch his helmet
    I read that too…I don't think I've ever forgotten, but my chin strap is so damn annoying that I know when it's NOT on…

Rest in Peace, it's a shame that we have these accidents in our society...

I got the story from channel 7 and the only thing that was mentioned was that the guy was not immediately assumed intoxicated…I believe they said the officers on scene gave the guy a breath-a-lyzer/field sobriety test.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Huh? There's an article on basically every fatality.
    But not by all major news outlets like 4, 7, 9, 31, 2, et. al. The other fatalities aren't sensationalized like this incident is being reported.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Rip, and thank you CSC, I was fully expecting to see something anti-cop in here, and to my relief haven't. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
    I read that too…I don't think I've ever forgotten, but my chin strap is so damn annoying that I know when it's NOT on…

Rest in Peace, it's a shame that we have these accidents in our society...

I got the story from channel 7 and the only thing that was mentioned was that the guy was not immediately assumed intoxicated…I believe they said the officers on scene gave the guy a breath-a-lyzer/field sobriety test.
    95% of all accidents after 8pm involve alcohol. So much so that my agency dispatches a DUI car with every night time crash. And they're always needed. Also, whenever someone else is seriously injured or killed in a crash, it gives us the authority to force a blood draw for toxicology, so they'll know for sure if alcohol was involved.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

But not by all major news outlets like 4, 7, 9, 31, 2, et. al. The other fatalities aren't sensationalized like this incident is being reported.
    As it turns out he was on duty (reporting to court to testify), it's a LODD for a public servant. That deserves news IMO. And who cares if it got extra attention because he's a cop honestly? If it makes just one phone-texting asshole put the phone down, look up, and save one of our lives as a result, then a little air time is worth it. Worst case, OMG you "had" to listen to it get reported a couple extra times. If your time was that valuable you wouldn't spend it in front of a TV anyway.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Rip, and thank you CSC, I was fully expecting to see something anti-cop in here, and to my relief haven't. Thanks guys.

95% of all accidents after 8pm involve alcohol. So much so that my agency dispatches a DUI car with every night time crash. And they're always needed. Also, whenever someone else is seriously injured or killed in a crash, it gives us the authority to force a blood draw for toxicology, so they'll know for sure if alcohol was involved.
    I thought if you refuse the breathalizer, it's not assumption of guilt, but you still get taken in. Once at the station they can draw your blood no matter what. no?

RIP to the officer, this has been a bad spring

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

RIP rider.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    As it turns out he was on duty (reporting to court to testify), it's a LODD for a public servant. That deserves news IMO. And who cares if it got extra attention because he's a cop honestly? If it makes just one phone-texting asshole put the phone down, look up, and save one of our lives as a result, then a little air time is worth it. Worst case, OMG you "had" to listen to it get reported a couple extra times. If your time was that valuable you wouldn't spend it in front of a TV anyway.
    An now the PBA wants to classify this as an on-duty incident to extrapolate insurance and pension monies to the 'victims'. I call BULLSHIT on this one, if and only if, the guy didn't have his chinstrap secured this claim should have a BIG RED DENIED plastered all over the claim remittance. Any other rider, if caught in an at fault accident, would be denied benefit reimbursement without the opportunity to dispute the claim. just watch the preferential treatment spew on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I thought if you refuse the breathalizer, it's not assumption of guilt, but you still get taken in. Once at the station they can draw your blood no matter what. no?

The breathalyzer is more of a general indicator of intoxication for field use. Registering on a breathalyzer or refusing the breathalyzer is grounds to bring you in and test you on the datamaster, which is a big, expensive and accurate testing machine (and typically the only breath test result admissable in court). In Indiana (where I was a LEO), you cannot force a blood draw just because the subject refused a field test, but you CAN force a breath test on the datamaster unit. It takes most folks 3-4 hours for their system to eliminate the minimum amount of alcohol necessary to reach .08 so as long as they test you pretty quickly, they won't need a blood test to prove impairment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    I hate to say this, but he may have forgotten to cinch his helmet. I cannot believe that I am admitting this, but occasionally I will ride to the store or something closeby in town and when I get there, I go to take off my lid and I realize I never cinched the strap. It has never happened when I go canyon riding, but it worries me nonetheless.
    Ironic you say this because last week I was leaving work on my bike and hopped on 25 to head home. Something was smacking my helmet and I realized I didn't cinch up either. I was freaked out and got off on a exit and quickly did that on the side. I really felt vulnerable out there. Just goes to show the importance of getting everything ready when you take off. RIP!
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post

As part of the voluntary roadside maneuvers we offer a PBT, a portable breath test. They are accurate, but not admissible in court. We use them to help determine if the impairment we're seeing in the roadside maneuvers and your actions is caused by alcohol or not. Refusing to take the PBT will not be held against you, however you will most likely still be arrested.

After placing you under arrest out in the field, the Officer reads you CO Express Consent Law: "By the act of driving in the state of Colorado you've given your express consent to a chemical test of your blood or breath, which test do you choose a blood test or a breath test?" Like it says, you choose, I cannot choose for you except in some specific instances. Blood test is faster, and less work for me. But it involves needles, and will cost you about $100 more of you're found guilty. Breath test (Done on the intoxilyzer 9000) takes about a half hour, but it's easy for you. Neither one is more accurate than the other.

If you refuse a chemical test, we CANNOT force it unless there is a crash that involves serious bodily injury or death of another person. However the penalties are worse if you refuse. Standard first time DUI revokes your license for 9 months, and you're eligible for an interlock restricted license after 1 month. A refusal means a full 1 year revocation of your license. The act of you refusing will also be held against you in court.

There is currently a case going to the Supreme Court concerning our being able to force blood draws, without a warrant, if you refuse on a standard DUI. I think it should win, because one of the warrant exceptions for a search is to obtain evidence of a crime that can be easily or quickly destroyed. The other option they are talking about is having pre-written warrant forms, we fill in the blanks relevant to the case, and the judge either gives the ok by phone, signing it later, or we fax/email it to and from a judge and then force a blood draw.

RIP to the rider and a fallen hero. Prayers to his family and friends

"Don't hate me because I'm Beautiful, hate me because I'm better than you, better yet, hate me because I'm fuckin bad ass!!!"