Thread: Rough cost to rebuild engine

Rough cost to rebuild engine

..or tranny

reason I'm asking is because I'm in the market for a faster bike. I've read that engines will generally last anywhere from 25k-100k miles, so it's always a crap shoot. I'm just wondering if it would always be worth the extra money/hassle to buy a bike with less miles because saving a grand on a bike with 20k more miles could cost me many grand in the near future

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Rough cost to rebuild engine

I saw a blog where someone's SV650 went 250k before they did an engine swap. Ask depends on maintenance and riding the piss out of it.

It also depends on the engine. Inlines are traditionally a more durable platform, and higher cylinder count increases balance. Low specific outputs also helps quite a bit (Though low in the motorcycle world is relative). Riding wheelies on an SV will blow the motor faster than anything, because of the way the motor is turned.

Maintenance is key. Use good oil, use better filters, change it regularly (I go once a season).

700-1000

Thanks for the good answers guys. In the end, I still think I'm going to end up buying the newer bike anyways. Going to check out an R6 today, maybe you'll see me on that instead of the lil green machine at the next ride.

I know a 600 will be a lot faster meaning I don't have to redline it all the time to get a slight bit of thrill, but I still plan on beating it really badly I love changing oil though

Board Newbie

Depends on the bike and the previous owner(s).
    You could have a 5k motor from a racer and a 15k motor from a daily rider and the 15k motor COULD be better.

Be sure you listen to the motor slight ticking is typically a cam-chain tnetion or valve adjustment issue (not a big problem)... if the ticking is excessively loud you can find yourself with valve slap and a worn cam.

Do you research and due diligence and you should be fine.

I've heard Yamahas are known to be tickers, but I didn't hear anything when he started it up. I think he doesn't drive it as rough as I will. Couldn't pull the trigger today for a variety of credit-union related issues, but SOON!

I have ~17,000 miles on my 09 R6 and it had the Yamaha tick ~4k RPMs since day one. It only happens near 4k with the rest of the range sounding perfect.

I use Amsoil oil and filters every 2k miles, new air filter every season, fresh coolant every season, plugs every 8k, and major maintenance is within a few 100 miles of the recommendation. I would be furious if the bike didn't last until I got tired of it and sold it. I can see selling it with 40-50k in a few years. I know I will get crap for the high mileage when I sell but most don't get that high because of the that total them within a few 100 miles.

Of the used vehicles I have purchased, I put a lot of weight on my initial impressions of the owner. Dirty car, house, garage, or no maintenance records = walk away.