Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoiler-Jerez MotoGP

Spoiler-Jerez MotoGP

Did anyone see that finish...??

Opinions...opinions
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left that I could say, "I used everything that you gave me."

RIDES:
    2011 GSXR 750(track)

2007 GSXR 600(street)stolen

2005 GSXR 600(track)

2005 Honda 600rr(track)

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Spoiler-Jerez MotoGP

What a race! The battle between Lorenzo and Marquez had me on the edge of my seat! Marquez was hungry to get past Lorenzo in the last 3 laps. I knew he was going to try something brash, and he didn't disappoint. I was hoping he could make the pass without contact, but had he not blocked Lorenzo the way he did, he would have run wide. I don't think it was the right move on his part, but it's not the first time a rider made that move.

I don't think Marquez wants to be the youngest rider to just win a MotoGP race. Considering his performance so far, he wants to win a championship.

It was worth being up at 6 am for it that's for sure.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

That was brutal at the end, Lorenzo got screwed! I thought I heard the announcers say that they can penalize you points for doing things like that. I don't know if that will happen to Marquez or not, he did veer rigth over into Lorenzo.

I also think that honestly for the next years to come it may be a battle between Lorenzo and Marcquez as young guns to snag championships. They both have plenty of years left and iit's going to be a fight for each of them.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

NASCAR comes to MotoGP! Yeee haaww!!

Racing incident in my view, should not be penalized. There was no intentional blocking just a ballsy pass. IMO if they weren't fighting for position on the last corner, Jorge might have just ran a wider line. Momentum carried Marquez into Lorenzo. Marquez showed some maturity by apologizing afterwards.

No doubt there might be some payback later in the season, with that Spanish pride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I figured it would only take a couple races for Marquez to show some of the same asshole moves he was known for in Moto2. He CLEARLY blew the corner, form a long way back, and simply punted Loranzo, who rode a great, clean, race, out of the way.

Marquez should be stripped of the position and DNF'd. What a dick.

Yes, I know that many years ago Rossi did the same thing to Gibernau, and the same thing should have happened to him.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    NASCAR comes to MotoGP! Yeee haaww!!

Racing incident in my view, should not be penalized. There was no intentional blocking just a ballsy pass. IMO if they weren't fighting for position on the last corner, Jorge might have just ran a wider line. Momentum carried Marquez into Lorenzo. Marquez showed some maturity by apologizing afterwards.

No doubt there might be some payback later in the season, with that Spanish pride.
    Either or I think it should've been penalized cause he took the risk and he saw Lorenzo's line and that he was obviously going to blow his race line, thankfully they could both finish and didn't take them both out but I still think that was still a very irresponsible move by Marquez.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Marquez was going in way too hot and used Lorenzo as a bumper to get back on line. He almost ran into the back of Lorenzo at least 3 times before that trying to dip in on him. He would do the same thing in Moto2. I like watching the guy ride, but damn, make a clean pass.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Since the comparison is immediately made to the Rossi Gibernau incident I suggest everyone watches it first since it has been 8 years. I'll link in a minute. Other than happening at the same corner I really don't think they are anything alike. Rossi would have easily made the corner either way, Marquez was in the gravel. Rossi was battling and exchanging passes with Gibernau for multiple laps. Marquez was nearly running into the back of Lorenzo but only making one unsuccessful attempt prior. Rossi was directly behind where as Marquez is way to far behind to attempt that.
    Just the pass:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxR8Y6NgNU

Some context:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rujtlt1DGk

All that being said, Lorenzo had many ways to close the door. It's sort of a racing incident. Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Stoner have spent the last two years running the I can ride more inch perfect laps "races" where no one can race (with occasional passing). Their race craft truly isn't equivalent to their unbelievable skill.

Marquez, Rossi on a competitive bike, and to a lesser extent Cal are breathing new life into MotoGp by actually racing to win, not have 28 laps that are within a tenth of each other. They are willing to try things, make mistakes and..... Have a personality. What a concept. Marquez made a mistake and should receive a small penalty so he thinks twice about such dangerous moves, but not so much that he becomes another Spanish machine clicking of parade laps.
    Last edited by mcarthd26; Mon May 6th, 2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Link

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Anyone have a torrent link to the race?

My DVR didn't catch it.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvsHLvYirY

Interesting.. watch the first 5 seconds. Marquez's line seems to stay in the groove, the dark section of the track. Lorenzo was outside of that attempting to pinch in, and just before contact he makes an attempt to change his line.

Does it seem even in slo mo that Jorge got on the gas sooner? Marquez was already past Jorge at that point; pass completed.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Nothing new here for me. Most know Marco (RIP) Marquez is a very very dirty rider. If you've followed him through Moto2, at least, then you already know this. Maybe he wasn't too happy because he got beaten by Pedrosa and then decided to pull a douche move.

I don't expect a penalty as no one got physically hurt from the incident. I think Lorenzo should have said something to him like "Obviously, your ambition outweighs your talent"

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Marquez was in too hot and couldn't hold a reasonable line. Lorenzo saw him and picked the bike up but Marquez was in so hot that it didn't make any difference. Bad pass on Marquez's part and very different from the Rossi/Giberneau incident. Rossi made the pass and held his line. Giberneau tipped into him. I see this one as two good racers trading paint.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2013...ident_at_.html

Cal Crutchlow, Monster Tech 3 Yamaha rider
    At the end of the day, it's racing. I don't think Marquez did anything wrong. If Jorge had the opportunity, he'd do exactly the same. Marquez never rode into the side of him meaning to hit him. He ran a little bit deep, and Jorge was there, and that's it. You think Jorge has never run a little deep and ran into somebody? You think he won't for the rest of his career? At some point in racing it's going to happen. But if it happened to me, I'd probably be pissed off for half the slowdown lap, but then you've got to think about it in the sense of, I could have done it to somebody.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Nothing new here for me. Most know Marco (RIP) Marquez is a very very dirty rider. If you've followed him through Moto2, at least, then you already know this. Maybe he wasn't too happy because he got beaten by Pedrosa and then decided to pull a douche move.

I don't expect a penalty as no one got physically hurt from the incident. I think Lorenzo should have said something to him like "Obviously, your ambition outweighs your talent"
    Hah! No shit. Yeah, while I can't say I'm not impressed with Marquez, I've seen a lot of dirty shit like this from him in his couple years in Moto2. I think next race Lorenzo needs to punt him off into the gravel. Or maybe simply reach over and grab a big handful of his front brake lever......
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well if Lorenzo does something dirty in retaliation the judges will know it is intentional and probably deduct points, fine him, or DNF him. So it sucks for Lorenzo he most likely won't be able to shove it back at Marquez without it looking intentional.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    http://www.motomatters.com/news/2013...ident_at_.html

Cal Crutchlow, Monster Tech 3 Yamaha rider
    At the end of the day, it's racing. I don't think Marquez did anything wrong. If Jorge had the opportunity, he'd do exactly the same. Marquez never rode into the side of him meaning to hit him. He ran a little bit deep, and Jorge was there, and that's it. You think Jorge has never run a little deep and ran into somebody? You think he won't for the rest of his career? At some point in racing it's going to happen. But if it happened to me, I'd probably be pissed off for half the slowdown lap, but then you've got to think about it in the sense of, I could have done it to somebody.
    I disagree with Cal on that. If anything, I think Lorenzo may rid ea little too clean. I can't reember him ever doing anything like that. close racing, sure, but punting someone offline like that? Marquez had zero shot at making that corner, and evern after he used Lorenzo as a pinball bumper, he STILL was wide off into the marbles. If he'd know what was going to happen, Lorenzo should have just braked early, let Marquez shoot wide into the gravel, and taken 2nd place. Lorenzo just used his usual line, the one Pedrosa just used, and Marquez just punted him out of the way.

Thanks for the warning Wicky, I'll make sure to be careful and not let you punt me out of the way like that!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Thanks for the warning Wicky, I'll make sure to be careful and not let you punt me out of the way like that!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Wilco Zeelenberg, Yamaha Factory Racing team manager, and team manager to Jorge Lorenzo

It was a hard move, but this isn't tennis,
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

You never see Lorenzo do that because he's normally ~3 or more ahead of everyone else

I think it was a very dirty move on Marquez to do that. Yeah he went in really hot, but still shouldn't have done it unless he could have passed clean. The kid has something to prove for sure, and he will be a stud, but needs to chill out. Like someone said earlier, he almost hit Lorenzo like 3 or 4 times in corners coming in hot.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Lorenzo has every right to be mad....but hes a smart rider and he knew marquez was behind him...he did leave the door open...it wasnt big but it was a door...and the fact marquez took it shows he wants to win...he is new and doesnt really have the bike down yet which is a scary thing...those GP bikes are alot different then those moto2 bikes...i think next year he wouldnt make that same mistake but thats because he will be winning....AND if anyone watched or remembers when jorge went to the 250 class back in the day he wasnt perfect right away...he made some BIG mistakes taking out pedrosa so he has learned....i think marquez will learn but i like that hes out there to WIN .....reminds me of rossi...wonder if marquez since he likes cuttin corners and riding over the rumble strips will make a corkscrew short cut

now le mans....please dont let it rain!
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left that I could say, "I used everything that you gave me."

RIDES:
    2011 GSXR 750(track)

2007 GSXR 600(street)stolen

2005 GSXR 600(track)

2005 Honda 600rr(track)

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock4792 View Post
    Lorenzo has every right to be mad....but hes a smart rider and he knew marquez was behind him...he did leave the door open...it wasnt big but it was a door...and the fact marquez took it shows he wants to win...he is new and doesnt really have the bike down yet which is a scary thing...those GP bikes are alot different then those moto2 bikes...i think next year he wouldnt make that same mistake but thats because he will be winning....AND if anyone watched or remembers when jorge went to the 250 class back in the day he wasnt perfect right away...he made some BIG mistakes taking out pedrosa so he has learned....i think marquez will learn but i like that hes out there to WIN .....reminds me of rossi...wonder if marquez since he likes cuttin corners and riding over the rumble strips will make a corkscrew short cut

now le mans....please dont let it rain!
    There's a big difference between leaving the door open (which I don't think he did) and having Marquez kick it in........ I don't mind a "hard move", what I don't like is seeing a guy coming in so hot he KNOWS he'll never make it (he didn't anyways if you look at his line) then punting someone else out of the way. He almost DID take him out several times earlier if you look closely at him losing the front several times. He's lucky not to have hit him earlier at much higher speed.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

From motorcycle-USA

"I have always been positive so today also I am going to be positive, to finish the race with sixteen points is always a great result," said Lorenzo. "I was second for the whole race and then lost the place on the last corner so it wasn't the perfect race. I think I made two mistakes in the race, in the start I started really badly and in the last corner, I thought Marquez was further behind than he was so I didn’t take a defensive line, this was my second mistake.”

From the man himself, left the door open didn't realize Marquez was so close and for Marquez went for it. This is acts all racing, and to that it was the last lap, so good on Marquez for taking calculated risks and going for more points (overall championship leader as of now!)

Quote Originally Posted by guambra2001 View Post
    From motorcycle-USA

"I have always been positive so today also I am going to be positive, to finish the race with sixteen points is always a great result," said Lorenzo. "I was second for the whole race and then lost the place on the last corner so it wasn't the perfect race. I think I made two mistakes in the race, in the start I started really badly and in the last corner, I thought Marquez was further behind than he was so I didn’t take a defensive line, this was my second mistake.”

From the man himself, left the door open didn't realize Marquez was so close and for Marquez went for it. This is acts all racing, and to that it was the last lap, so good on Marquez for taking calculated risks and going for more points (overall championship leader as of now!)
    I'm pretty sure he meant that to keep his composure as there is nothing else he could've done as the officials didn't do anything about it anyways. It was still a careless move regardless and like someone mentioned Marquez needs to cool his jets before something bad really does happen. He's a great rider and has skill no doubt but if he keeps thinking he is hot shit I'm sure it'll bite him in the ass eventually. Guess it comes with the territory being a rookie and what not
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1