Thread: Southwest ride, help with route

Southwest ride, help with route

Hey all! I'm planning to head down to visit my mom in Tucson next week, through a nice long twisty route. Can't quite make the dates work to join the big ride, so making my own. Thinking of leaving either Tue 5/14 or Wed 5/15, depending on how the weather looks to be shaping up.

This is the route I'm tentatively planning:

Interactive version: http://goo.gl/maps/VVq6Y

It's about 1200 miles one way, planning to take 3 days to get there - first night in either Pagosa Springs or Durango, and second night in either Gallup / Springerville / Alpine. Trying to stay flexible, in case the weather doesn't cooperate, I get tired (or a second wind!), or something comes up.

Any thoughts? Am I missing any roads I should be on? And do you think I can expect the roads I'm taking (e.g. CO 149, US 160, US 550, etc) to be clear? There are a lot of passes in there...I've never tried to ride this area in May before, so not sure if I'm hoping for too much. I looked on the http://www.cotrip.org/roadConditions.htm site and didn't see any snow , but I don't know about the summits. I'd hate to run into snow. Any experience you have would be welcomed...

I'll also have the trip back the following week, so any suggestions on where to go would be great!

Re: Southwest ride, help with route

I remember driving that route to Mesa...that coronado trail is a nice lil stretch...

Re: Southwest ride, help with route

So I get back from this ride, 2500 miles total, everything was great (thinking about writing up a ride report).

The next day, I wash the bike, get it back in the garage, and start to put it back up on the center stand (wearing street shoes with worn-smooth soles). There's water dripping around, so my feet are wet. Step on the center stand, start pulling the bike up, and my foot slips off the stand...and the bike starts falling away from me. Ugh.

Broken foot peg, broken mirror, scratched fairing...I'm so mad at myself! And to make it worse, it's not rideable without at least the foot peg (ordered from Ducati), so it's stuck in the garage.