Thread: Devil's spine packing list (and for motorcycle weekend trips in general)

Devil's spine packing list (and for motorcycle weekend trips in general)

You might be wondering just what should you bring on an overnight motorcycle trip.

For starters, whatever items you have on your list, you can probably cut in half. Everyone always packs way more then they need the first few times.

Here's a couple of pointers to keep in mind.

1) Pack only necessities, things you know you will need or things you will wish you had should you need them. (Such as a tire repair kit).

2) Dress in layers. Make sure you leave enough room in your bags, or have a cargo bungee cord net to expand room to throw your extra layers in as we move from colder climate to hot.

It will be cool in the morning (45-50 degrees but hot in the afternoon. Clifton, AZ is forecasted to be in the low to mid 90s this weekend. Average temps should be in the high 60s for Colorado and up to 95 for New Mexico and Arizona.

With those two rules in mind, here's what you should pack

*** Driver's license, insurance and registration. Pro tip - I keep this buried in my tail bag. I've been pulled over before where the cop asks for it and then lets me go because he doesn't want to wait while I dig it out.

1) Socks 2 pairs
    2) Underwear (unless you're brazen in which case just 1 pair)
    3) 2-3 t-shirts
    4) Tooth Brush / Tooth Paste (Travil size)
    5) Small bottle of shampoo. You would be surprised that many budget hotels now charge $2-3 for a hotel bottle of shampoo.
    6) Contact lense case -- EXTRA set of contacts. If you wear contacts and never lose one, this will be the time it happens.
    7) A pair of gym type of shorts that take up little room or a pair of pants. Jeans if you have the spare room. Otherwise you'll be going to dinner in your leathers.
    Optional - Flip flops (unless you like going to a restaurant in race boots and shorts. I've done it, no big deal but flip flops are a better option.
    9) Prescriptions if needed
    10) Ibuprofen (Advil) -- I take 800mg (4 pills) in the morning before every ride. It helps prevent your joints from becoming stiff and overall makes you more comfortable.
    11) Sun screen (small bottle). I'll have some of this but you definately want to cover the back of your neck and face.
    12) Basic tool kit (that came with your bike, stowed under your seat).
    13) Cell phone / Go pro / GPS / ect charging cords.
    14) Drinks / water. I use a small insulated cooler bag to fit 1 power-aid bottle filled with water/frozen and 2-3 power aids. But I also have two Givi trunks, a 32L and 48L size. Take 1 bottle of water to save space.
    15) Small spray bottle with windex and a clean wash cloth to wipe bugs off your visor. Keep this in your tank bag. You will use this a lot.
    16) Tire repair kit. I pack a small 12v compressor and tire gauge. But if you get a flat and I'm not around you'll want something. Tire kits come with CO2 cartridges to fill a tire up (enough) to get to a gas station and properly inflate them.
    17) 3-4 feet of *CLEAR*, small diameter plastic tubing to act as a syphon should you run out of gas and need to transfer fuel from another bike. This shouldn't happen as gas stops are 140 miles apart at the most. Get this at Lowes, Home depot, ect.

That's it. Anything else, you probably don't need. Everything I've mentioned can fit into a decent size tail bag or two small soft luggage saddle bags.

If you to use a little bit of our states cash crop, be aware we're crossing state lines.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: Devil's spine packing list (and for motorcycle weekend trips in general)

I better choice than a bottle of Windex is the wet glass wipes you can pick up in any auto parts store
    put 4 or 5 in a small ziplock bag, along with a paper towel or two. It'll fit in the pocket of your jacket.
    The wipes last a good long time, and you just throw them away when they get too impregenated with bug guts

One thing NOT to do is use the washer water at the gas station on the visor
    You WILL smell that for the rest of the trip! LOL!!!

I also carry a small first aid kit with basic bandages, neosporin, super glue (for cuts), roll of guaze, etc.
    You just never know when you might need it on the side of a back country road.

Deodorant is nice for your room mate..
    Last edited by texlurch; Fri May 17th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Pro tip - spare key to your bike. Bury it in your tail pack if you like.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    I better choice than a bottle of Windex is the wet glass wipes you can pick up in any auto parts store
    put 4 or 5 in a small ziplock bag, along with a paper towel or two. It'll fit in the pocket of your jacket.
    The wipes last a good long time, and you just throw them away when they get too impregenated with bug guts

Deodorant is nice for your room mate..
    The wipes come in handy. I usually carry 4-5 of them in a ziplock with my registration.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Do you usually take rain gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    Do you usually take rain gear?
    I keep either just the top or a set of the lightweight Frog Toggs in my tail.

$20 shipped if you order of their websight, or most sporting goods stoers carry them.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ