Thread: License Plates when Selling Question

License Plates when Selling Question

I am sure this has been discussed, but a search didn't pull up anything.

When people sell their bikes do they leave their license plates on the bike or take them off? This is just a craigslist person so I really don't know them and would hate for them to get photo radar tickets on my plate or something like that, but then I wonder how do they get home with no plate???

They are getting a loan through the bank and I have to meet them there, but I doubt loan place gives a temp
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: License Plates when Selling Question

Don't let them take YOUR plates.

Print out a bill of sale online. They have a 24 (might be longer, going off memory) hour window after sale to ride the bike home, if they get pulled over all they have to do is show the BOS with the date and time of sale on it.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

You keep them. If you get another vehicle, they can be used on it to save you some $$ at registration time.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite...&ssbinary=true

According to Senate Bill 05-014
    a vehicle buyer is allowed to operate the vehicle prior to registering the vehicle if it was purchased
    within the last 36 hours from a person who is not a motor vehicle dealer, purchased either on a
    Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday between 5:00 pm and 8:00 am or the vehicle is being driven from
    the place of purchase to the place where it will be stored until it is registered. The buyer must have a
    bill of sale that shows the time and date of the sale and is signed by the buyer and the seller and proof
    of insurance.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Dont even let him ride home on them. Take them to the DMV and turn them in

Thanks guys

Chaos, I printed that and will use it; much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Don't let them take YOUR plates.

Print out a bill of sale online. They have a 24 (might be longer, going off memory) hour window after sale to ride the bike home, if they get pulled over all they have to do is show the BOS with the date and time of sale on it.
    THIS ^^^

If you give them your plate, then you can't get a refund on your registration if you have time left before your annual renewal. Might not be much, but $ is $ right?

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    THIS ^^^

If you give them your plate, then you can't get a refund on your registration if you have time left before your annual renewal. Might not be much, but $ is $ right?
    Wow, didn't know this. I literally renewed plates less than 2 months ago so I'll check into this. I assume you just take it to the motor vehicle for a refund?

Thanks man

That is all I ever did when I was in KS, I took the plate to the DMV and they issued a refund prorated based on how much time was left before the tag expires. Haven't had to do it yet in CO, but I doubt it is any different.

According to the Department of Revenue website, refunds are based on rules set in your county, not by the state, so I can't give you a definitive answer since I don't know your county.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    That is all I ever did when I was in KS, I took the plate to the DMV and they issued a refund prorated based on how much time was left before the tag expires. Haven't had to do it yet in CO, but I doubt it is any different.

According to the Department of Revenue website, refunds are based on rules set in your county, not by the state, so I can't give you a definitive answer since I don't know your county.
    I am in Arapahoe County...if anyone knows.

Busy day if not I'd research it now myself

It should be the same. Although I've only done it when reusing a plate for a new vehicle and they apply it towards the cost of registration. I've never just turned in a plate with time left on it by itself, so not sure how that works.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

Arapahoe doesn't say anything about a refund on the FAQs page, but they do mention credit towards a new registration.

Jason
    07 600RR

Refund or not, if the person does something bad and the plates are in your name, they'll come looking for you. Get your case, give them the title, bill of sale, remove your plates, registration and insurance card and then bid them goodbye!

Why you sellin all of your stuff Nate?
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Why you sellin all of your stuff Nate?
    To hopefully upgrade...in future! I'll probably take this season off from riding, but trying to sell my car to get this car this lady at work is selling. If I can't sell it by next week, I'll keep it. As for a bike been doing it over 16 years on a "racing" type and want something less aggressive like a VFR in future.....getting old and comfort is getting more important than speed....turning 35 in a few months.

I love my 600RR, but it really is a cop magnet and I need to gain some points back on record.

Yeah, I learned a lesson on this back in college when I sold my hot pink VW bug. I left the plates on it and the biznatch buyer got parking tickets all over town. I had to flag the car as stolen. The car was re-registered pretty soon after that and I am not sure if she'd been pulled over to learn her own lesson
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

If you DO forget and leave a plate on, a quick call to DMV telling them to inactivate the plate will do. I sold a car once, it was dark, snowing and the buyer drove away with plates attached. I simply called DMV in the morning and had the plate deregistered. Had to sign a form DR2283 (lost or stolen plates) but was able to fax it in to DMV.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    To hopefully upgrade...in future! I'll probably take this season off from riding, but trying to sell my car to get this car this lady at work is selling. If I can't sell it by next week, I'll keep it. As for a bike been doing it over 16 years on a "racing" type and want something less aggressive like a VFR in future.....getting old and comfort is getting more important than speed....turning 35 in a few months.

I love my 600RR, but it really is a cop magnet and I need to gain some points back on record.
    Get a sport tourer and get further out. You won't regret it. The close roads are fun and all but the roads get much better the further from Denver you get.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

In CO you keep your plate, in say CA the plate stays with the vehicle...so new people here looking at your vehicle might wonder. Don't look at them like they are crazy as all States are different just inform them and that is it. I almost forgot my plates on my Focus, actually called the kid and he came back around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    ....turning 35 in a few months.
    Man, you are really OLD!
    John
    KTM Duke 690