Thread: Another Fay Experience

Another Fay Experience

From the time I purchased this bike over a year ago I've never had a good experience at Fay Myers. When I first bought the bike none of the salesmen for the "high end" motorcycles would even talk to me, so after 30 minutes I finally went and got one of the guys selling used bikes to get the paperwork started.

A few months later I had a recall on a demand sensor, they said the part would be in within two weeks. Two and a half weeks later I receive a rather rude phone call saying the part has has been in for a week and that they can't wait any longer and have to get it installed.

At the Saint Patrick's Day Parade I sprung a leak, called them up to see if they would be able to pick my bike up and take it to their shop. They said they would call me back in a few minutes to see if anyone was available. Roughly 20-30 minutes later I get a call from a driver saying he can get it, he was even nice enough to say he would be able to drop me off at my house since it was on the way. Maybe ten minutes later I get a nice phone call from service saying I'm not even close to the route and they can't drop me off. "I understand the legal issue and was fine with that, but don't tell me two different things."
    After they got the bike Dan was actually really nice and helpful, he called me two or three times with updates.

Today I went in for an oil change, I asked about re-flashing my ECU and no one knew who to talk to. After some time they figured it out and said I could buy an ECU unlock code for $500, but that the code is actually useless since they would have to reprogram the whole bike, and it would cost an arm and a leg. So they suggested I buy an already unlocked ECU for $700.
    Aprilia teamed up with Akrapovic and you get an ECU unlock code if you buy their exhaust, then according to ApriliaForum you hook it up to the navigator system and in less then ten minutes you are done. I can also get an already unlocked race ECU for $500.

I don't know if it's just something about me, but I can't wait until my service plan/warranty is over so I don't have to deal with them again.

/rant.
    "Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too" - CHRISTIAN COWBOY

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Re: Another Fay Experience

Quote Originally Posted by losermonkey View Post

Today I went in for an oil change, I asked about re-flashing my ECU and no one knew who to talk to. After some time they figured it out and said I could buy an ECU unlock code for $500, but that the code is actually useless since they would have to reprogram the whole bike, and it would cost an arm and a leg. So they suggested I buy an already unlocked ECU for $700.
    Aprilia teamed up with Akrapovic and you get an ECU unlock code if you buy their exhaust, then according to ApriliaForum you hook it up to the navigator system and in less then ten minutes you are done. I can also get an already unlocked race ECU for $500.

I don't know if it's just something about me, but I can't wait until my service plan/warranty is over so I don't have to deal with them again.

/rant.
    Welcome to the, I Own An Italian Bike Club. You can't run a Termi exhaust on a Duc without an aftermarket ecu. Same goes with certain reflashes.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I understand that, which is why I was asking about it. Just don't tell me I need to pay $700 for a whole new ECU, when you can plug it into Navigator and it's good to go. Confirmed by a shop in Texas who deals with mostly Aprilia.
    "Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too" - CHRISTIAN COWBOY

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Check on Aprlia forum and then demand the right work. Or take it to Erico they are slightly better. If in doubt call AF1 Racing in TX to see what they charge.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

That is shitty. Good luck!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

This all does suck! Fay is one of the only shops I will even step foot into! Besides TFOG. BUT JIM IS BAD ASS! I hope your next experiences with Fay are better!
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250

I got a call from Daniel today, and as I said previously I've had good experiences with him. He apologized for the problems, then he asked what I thought they could improve on, so we talked for a while. Then we found out there was just a communication error with the middle man in regards to the flashing of the ecu. As we both had the same understanding of what needed to be done and how it worked.
    I stated that I realized my motorcycle is a newer model and not as common as a lot of others. So I understand people can be confused, but we both agreed that some people could use a little more training.

I probably should have contacted them to address my concerns before making this thread, but unfortunately we all have our days.

2012 Aprilia RSV4

...I probably should have contacted them to address my concerns before making this thread...

We all have some good and bad experiences with dealers. Communication is key. Glad it worked out for ya.

btw: this thread is useless without bike pics! Especially italians.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

We all have some good and bad experiences with dealers. Communication is key. Glad it worked out for ya.

btw: this thread is useless without bike pics! Especially italians.
    i saw it i touched it but i didnt sit on it
    i did hear it roar on the dyno
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

For having stock exhaust she can make some noise. Here ya go Sean.

2012 Aprilia RSV4

My buddy in Lakewood just picked up the RSV4 factory from fay myers and slapped on the graves exhaust. HOLY SNIT that thing is the most beautiful street bike i've ever heard. He let me take it up Clear Creek Canyon and I'm in disbelief how fun it was. Seriously contemplating trading the triumph for the tuono but I'm waiting to see how costly the Ape turns out for him.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

G-Force has a graves on theirs and I love how it sounds, but I want a full system and Austin Racing has a very nice tone to it.

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Not trying to take over your thread...but have you had any issues with the rsv4 so far? any complaints?
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

The only real issue I've seen on ApriliaForum and from my bike is the cooling system. Thankfully mine was just a T valve that started leaking while we were staging at the parade. Others have had pipes blow off and spray coolant on the rear tire.
    There was a recall on a demand sensor for the throttle positioning which didn't give you full power. Then like most Italian bikes who use the acerbis gas tank, it can/will start to bubble due to the ethanol that we use.

So yes there are issues but thus far I wouldn't consider it anything to major and I still love it and wouldn't trade it for any other bike.

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Then like most Italian bikes who use the acerbis gas tank, it can/will start to bubble due to the ethanol that we use.
    Why not run non-ethanol fuel?
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

During the winter I always store it with non-ethanol race fuel, but during the summer $8.50/gal get's a little pricey. If you know of somewhere other than Bandimere that's cheaper then I would love to know of it.

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Brad's conoco @union and mississippi has non-ethonol premium in the summer for normal premium price. I dont know when they start having it for summer, calling is best.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

For having stock exhaust she can make some noise. Here ya go Sean.
    That's a good looking bike!

thought brads conoco never has ethonol its why he is always cost more. and summer he carrys 95 at one of his pumps could be wrong but he use to always have 91 non ethonol its 5 min from my house
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Brad's Conoco has had non-ethanol for a few months now. I stop there at least once a week to fill my fuel cans and my 240z. There may be like 3-4 months during the winter he doesn't have it.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Brad's conoco @union and mississippi has non-ethonol premium in the summer for normal premium price. I dont know when they start having it for summer, calling is best.
    I went by the week before last round and got a couple jugs full.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Not sure how up to date this list is.

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=CO