Thread: Exhaust wrap & aprilia collector mod thread

Exhaust wrap & aprilia collector mod thread

have riden ~200 miles and got the bike's fluids going last few weeks. I have my oil change lined up and along with that I am going to heatwrap the headers & midpipe after the 'exhaust wrap' thread/discussion, and while I'm at it I am going to do the aprilia collector mod.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...Collector-Pipe

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-Collector-mod

which, in a single sentence is like adding a X-pipe to a V6 or V8 exhaust setup…

as I understand it, the additional ducts alleviates the pressure between the two exhaust pulses and promote flow.

anyways…the headers and downpipes were unbelievably easy to remove from the bike…(I wish my z was this easy to work on)

I have the ability to weld and extra exhaust duct is relatively inexpensive but I think I'm going to just have a muffler shop do it

Re: Exhaust wrap & aprilia collector mod thread

I never really understood bike exhaust wrapping. You wrap headers on a car to keep the engine bay temperature lower, you don't have that problem on a bike. The previous owner of my bike had my hindle headers wrapped and when I took them off, there was a corroded hole in them. I figured the wrap lead to premature failure due to elevated temperatures of the stainless. Then possibly premature failure of your muffler packing since you are now pushing hotter gases through it.

I guess I just don't see the real benefit. It may flow slightly more due to the decrease in exhaust gas density and viscosity but I would think it would be negligible.
    Last edited by mxer; Sat May 25th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.

Aprilia's are typically a much hotter ride (in that I mean underseat toasty). Any little help you can make to the exhaust and helping tamp down the heat, is not a bad thing. The old Mille was a roaster even though the exhaust sat lower than the newer '07

The ceramic coating is pricey, but a longer lasting option.

I wrapped the race-bike (cbr) recently because it was getting hot enough on the rear master to melt it, thus making it ineffectual. The left-over wrapping goes on the RSVR next

Can't wait to see the after pics on the collector mod 3point5!
    Last edited by sprtbkbabe; Mon May 27th, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

Collector good! I have recently bridged the right and left sides of my formula 400. Helps on idle and WOT from idle. Arressive cams and high compression ( v twin) benefit hugely from this.

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

been busy with the z, work and hockey…but got the headers wrapped, sprayed, and back on the bike...

Took the mid-pipe assembly to 3R racing last week…I use them for some other aluminum welding that I'm not skilled enough to do for the z and piggy backed the exhaust with a radiator and intercooler tasks. Picked everything up today - the welding and pipes look great…excited to get it back on the bike

I'll wrap & spray it tonight and hopefully get it back on.