Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On warming up your bike before riding.

Re: On warming up your bike before riding.

Quote Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
    serious, I'll act like you didnt just say that!? In my opinion, there is nothing appealing of a pontiac fiero -
    I have the same feeling about a 350Z.

Back on track....I don't warm up my bikes any longer than it takes to get my helmet and gloves on. I just keep the RPMs down until the temp comes up.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Wait ... what is this thread about?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post

I thought it was how to warm up your toastadas!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    I thought it was how to warm up your toastadas!
    On a hot fiero?

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

My Fiero was an early model (1984 I think) and even with it's handling ills, it was still fun to drive. Gotta give Aaron props on the build, even tho it's not the platform I would choose. On the warm-up thing, doubtful it matters with above freezing temps, and I don't really know if it matters with below freezing temps, but I gotta idle a while when it's cold outside. And I mean the truck....my FZR won't even start when it's below freezing. DRZ always starts easy and warms quickly, no matter the temp. Gotta love a thumper!
    Last edited by FZRguy; Wed May 29th, 2013 at 01:21 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I almost feel like this thread was created to glorify his fiero

06 Honda Civic EX
    25/36 MPG
    0-60 9.6 seconds
    Quarter Mile 17.3

08 Ducati 848 (Ferrari red)
    09 Honda cbr600rr (green/black)
    07 Yamaha r6R (blue)
    05 Kawasaki zx6r 636 (lime green)
    99 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (red/black)

Nice fiero Aaron! Like FZR said, not the platform I would have chosen, but a cool build none the less.

As for warming up, I usually get mine to where it will idle with RPMs held about 2K, and then rider nicely till the temp shows at least 140 (handily that's till about the time I am out of my neighborhood).
    2005 GSXR 1000 - Not stock...
    2006 SV650S - Rebuild in progress, with some upgrades...
    1998 Yamaha WR400 - Not stock...
    2008 Dodge QCSB 6.7L Cummins - 525/1019 HP/TQ

Thats a fuckin gorgeous Fiero, I have ALWAYS loved those, wanted to get a Fiero GT as my first car when I was 16 but got a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo instead

Anyways as for warming up the bike, I get underconfident in tire warming. I bought brand new Michellin Pilot Road 2 at fay Myers in May and when I start riding I dont know how hard to push it in a lean (or even lean at all) wondering how long ti should take to warm them so I don't slide out.

Example: I live at hampden/Tower and it is about 4 miles from there (straight road hampden) to the interchange of the Parker/225 area. I am not leaning to the sides until that time. Would a basic 4 miles of straight unleaded driving to get there be enough to heat them so that i can make the Parker/225 inetrchange lean at some decent speed or to warm them up do you have to also be leaning to the sides to get them warmed. Otherwise I would be simply guessing that the warmth the middle fo the tire gets from the 4 straiht miles of riding MAY warm the rest of the tire as well? I am clueless when it comes to warmth and how it travels and what does not get to the outside.

opinions and help please! My wuuestions pertain to tire warming which I guess is part of the warming up process eh!
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Straight line riding will warm up the rest of the tire .. in time. Flexing the sidewalls on each revolution of the tire will heat up the carcass and transfer heat to the sides of the tire. Bear in mind the effects are greatly reduced on a cold day, in winter for example. The front tire is exposed to all that cold wind and might not even get up to optimum temperature. 4 miles of riding is sufficient to warm most street compounds - unlike race rubber that works best with tire warmers. That's why running race takeoffs is such a risky proposition for unfamiliar noobs; you have little traction until they reach temperature.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Bear in mind the effects are greatly reduced on a cold day, in winter for example. The front tire is exposed to all that cold wind and might not even get up to optimum temperature.
    Conduction is a far greater force that convection, FYI. You lose more heat through contact with the ground than via air cooling. The rear tire won't have the air hitting it, but also has a larger contact patch with the ground to conduct the heat away.

Street compounds are designed to operate in a wide range of temps common to that environment however, and usually don't need much extra heating if any. Just go ride.

than sincere ignorance

Thanks guys! I will just hit those freeway curves and place confidence in the tires that they wont slip. Im not talking about blazing around the curve, but if any of you know what 2 curves I refer to (where hampden ends and turns right into parker, and the overpass of Parker that gets onto 225 southbound) I will just trust the tires and go. I get affraid of a good lean thinking the tires are not warmed up but sounds like they should be fine
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Sweet. You're building a car that's going to be as fast as a Fiero.
    How did I miss this gem the first time I read through this thread??
    Last edited by CaneZach; Thu Jun 20th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

Board Newbie

What about a carb bike? Like the ninja 250R 2008 > year models are. They are really cold blooded animals and unless you are riding on throttle open, the bike is not that responsive from a standstill.?

Suggestions?

Check your manual choke, perhaps keep it open or partly open for a while. My KLX250 is similarly cold blooded. I have to run with the choke open for a long time.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by zmaster View Post
    What about a carb bike? Like the ninja 250R 2008 > year models are. They are really cold blooded animals and unless you are riding on throttle open, the bike is not that responsive from a standstill.?

Suggestions?
    Jet for altitude (mains) if not already done, and shim your needles. And yes, choke it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by zmaster View Post

Suggestions?
    You bring up a great point, a lot of carbureted applications do not run well when cold. I've personally crashed a bike because of this. Twisted the throttle, engine choked, I fell forward, then it came on hard and when I got flung back lost control. Besides the other's advice, which is good (Choke and jetting), I would let it warm up until it runs well, typically won't be more than a couple minutes at most. Even though oil temperature is more important in general, improper fueling can put you in danger, so that becomes more important than engine life.

Choke on, start it up while you're putting on your helmet, jacket, and gloves. By then it would have warmed up enough to a nice idle. Keep the choke on for the first few blocks, more if it's colder.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

I leave the throttle wide open for a solid 5 minutes until I hear a pop. Then I go ride.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    I leave the throttle wide open for a solid 5 minutes until I hear a pop. Then I go ride.
    Is that kind of like "grind it till you find it"?

Yep that's it!
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

we talking about women or bikes?? Would think it'd work for both. Especially hot news anchor women
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

The ancient F3 is as cold-blooded an animal as I've seen.

I turn the Starter Enrichment Valve on (essentially a choke) and start without opening the throttle. It will run for about 20 seconds this way unless I turn the idle knob in a half-turn or so to keep the bike at 1400 rpm. I can take off and ride, turning the SER valve off and the engine never misses a beat. Often times during the winter months the temp never comes up to anything like a normal range.

My mom had the first gen fiero. Love da spkrs in the headrest. But it always had issues mechanically.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    My mom had the first gen fiero. Love da spkrs in the headrest. But it always had issues mechanically.
    Speakers in the headrest always seemed to be a cool thing to me too, but the later models like mine didn't have them, they were on the pillars instead. Mine was actually ok mechanically, just slow with a capital slow.