Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain bike race

Mountain bike race

Roan Cliff Chaos
    Rifle, Colorado
    June 15-16, 2013

Not sure if any of you CSCer's would be interested in doing a mtb race, but I thought I'd throw it out there. After finding out what a cool event it is (it's been going on for 13 years) I volunteered my time to try and make it even better.

If you're interested, check out the website. If you have any feedback, let me know. And yes, of course, there will be beer.

https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/home

Re: Mountain bike race

Just picked up my first "real" mtn bike a few months ago. Its a Cannondale Jekyll leftover. I've ridden bmx'ish bikes most of my life so I can handle jumps, drops, and downhill, but haven't quite got into the whole uphill concept. I'd definitely want to get into some xc races.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Going up is the same as going down. You just have to pedal more and most of us don't go as fast. Otherwise it's the same!

The Jekyll is a great bike and would be perfect for the XC race. If you've never done a race, the beginner division is only 6 miles (roughly an hour of riding) and is a great way to "get your feet wet" in the sport.

I know there is another CSC'er that's thinking about coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post
    Just picked up my first "real" mtn bike a few months ago. Its a Cannondale Jekyll leftover. I've ridden bmx'ish bikes most of my life so I can handle jumps, drops, and downhill, but haven't quite got into the whole uphill concept. I'd definitely want to get into some xc races.
    New Jekyll or the older version. The new one is pretty awesome with the Dyad pull shock.

Kels and I will be at the race. I believe she already pre-registered or something. We might have to flip a coin to see who does the hill climb with the Voodoo.....
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Oh yeah, you're on CSC too. Well, then there will be a few CSCer's there!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    Kels and I will be at the race. I believe she already pre-registered or something. We might have to flip a coin to see who does the hill climb with the Voodoo.....
    Yup. Kels was the first one to pre-register!
    (thank goodness it actually worked)

One of you can take my Stumpy 29er. Just lock-out the shock and climb. The suspension settings should be close to what you need anyway.

New Jekyll or the older version. The new one is pretty awesome with the dyad shock
    Yeah the new version. The shop gave me a deal at $1800 because cannondale wasn't able to sell this horrid looking color. When it came into the shop it didn't look anything like the pic online and turned out badass. Killer deal, just a lot of suspension going on that I have no idea what to do with.

I've been putting in a lot of miles, usually 5 miles uphill and 5 back down so hopefully ill be ready by the time the race rolls around.
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Yeah the new version. The shop gave me a deal at $1800 because cannondale wasn't able to sell this horrid looking color. When it came into the shop it didn't look anything like the pic online and turned out badass. Killer deal, just a lot of suspension going on that I have no idea what to do with.

I've been putting in a lot of miles, usually 5 miles uphill and 5 back down so hopefully ill be ready by the time the race rolls around.
    I actually have the Jekyll's big brother the Claymore. Similar setup with the Dyad and such...just beefier with more suspension (and heavier!). I absolutely love the bike, bet the Jekyll will be an awesome bike. Awesome deal!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

The jekyll is a blast. Small, nimble, and light, but it's too low. I'm constantly banging my pedals and already broke off a few teeth off my crankset. Makes me want to try out the Claymore.

The jekyll is a blast. Small, nimble, and light, but it's too low. I'm constantly banging my pedals and already broke off a few teeth off my crankset. Makes me want to try out the Claymore.
    I bet the ground clearance is similar. I'm banging the pedals like crazy too, it sits pretty low in downhill mode. I also have a chainring guard on the bike though.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Pre-reg got flooded in the past 24 hours! Off to a good start!

(Okay, not flooded, but used. I'll take what I can get)

I bet the ground clearance is similar. I'm banging the pedals like crazy too, it sits pretty low in downhill mode. I also have a chainring guard on the bike though.
    Oh I thought the claymore had 29's

I'm a roadie. Mountain bikes are too damn much work...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I'm a roadie. Mountain bikes are too damn much work...
    I was going to make a joke about how it's easier to crash on the dirt...but I guess it's possible to crash on roads too.

Hey Jim, what was it like when then invented the wheel? You were in your mid 30's, right?

Oh I thought the claymore had 29's
    29ers are for people who can't avoid obstacles

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

29ers are for people who can't avoid obstacles
    And freerides are for people who can't go up hill!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I was going to make a joke about how it's easier to crash on the dirt...but I guess it's possible to crash on roads too.
    Ouch...

Hey Jim, what was it like when then invented the wheel? You were in your mid 30's, right?
    damn whippersnappers...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

And freerides are for people who can't go up hill!
    Shouldn't you beat me in a bike race before talking smack?

Too bad your organizing and not racing Roan Cliff ......then again Kels might beat both of us.

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Ouch...
    Nothin' but love for ya. How's the recovery coming along?

Shouldn't you beat me in a bike race before talking smack?

Too bad your organizing and not racing Roan Cliff ......then again Kels might beat both of us.
    Na, I'll talk smack anyway

And the more I think about it, almost all of my obligations are on Saturday. So maybe I can race Sunday? I'd rather do the XC then the Hill Climb, but I'll take what I can get!

Nothin' but love for ya. How's the recovery coming along?

Na, I'll talk smack anyway

And the more I think about it, almost all of my obligations are on Saturday. So maybe I can race Sunday? I'd rather do the XC then the Hill Climb, but I'll take what I can get!

I'm about 80%, started going to the gym again last week. Need to keep working on flexibility, strength, and cardio.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

So I guess the flame war isn't just limited to motorcycles around these parts . I'll be "racing" with a Jamis Dakar XCR expert I picked up last year. This'll be my first official entry based ride, so should be an experience, at least.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

btw if anyone up north wants to go ride I'd be down. I could use some pointers or help seeing what I need to improve.

I'm about 80%, started going to the gym again last week. Need to keep working on flexibility, strength, and cardio.
    Great news, Jim! Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    This'll be my first official entry based ride, so should be an experience, at least.
    Hellz yeah!

Should we order your 1st place trophy ahead of time, or wait till after you actually win? Probably wait, huh? We want the other competitors to feel like they have a chance.

Great news, Jim! Keep it up.

Hellz yeah!

Should we order your 1st place trophy ahead of time, or wait till after you actually win? Probably wait, huh? We want the other competitors to feel like they have a chance.
    My only goal is to not fall down/go boom and need an airlift
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

I'm thinking about signing up for this. I picked up a nicer full suspension mountain bike last summer and rode it a decent amount. I've been slacking over the winter though. I've never done bike races, but ran a lot of running races. The question would be which version to sign up for...
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760