Thread: Carrying on the motorcycle

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Carrying on the motorcycle

The Magpul discussion made me realize one of you might already know the answer to this. If I want to go to the range and strap my range bag to the tail of the bike is this considered OK? I believe if I do not have anything loaded and have my mags/ammo separate I should be clear. I do not yet have my CCW which would make this much easier of course.

What have you all discovered?

Thanks,
    Murdock

Re: Carrying on the motorcycle

I inquired last year and had two officers confirm it was OK. I use a backpack but I dont see how a bag strapped to the bike would be any different. First an unloaded/cased firearm is clear to carry anywhere not specifically forbidden and they both felt that a bike would follow the same rules as a car where you are permitted to carry loaded even without a CCW. I would never carry loaded on a bike, accidental discharge in case of laying it down would scare me too much.

That was my interpretation of the law as well, I just wanted to get some confirmation. Thank you.

It may vary for you, but depending on your location you can open carry in a holster. I just moved to NC which permits OC (CC w/ permit), and it's entirely legal to open carry in a holster on a bike. Just don't load the breach and you will no accidental discharges.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

In CO you can carry concealed and loaded in your motor vehicle without a permit, this is generally accepted to extend to motorcycles as well. Just be careful of this, because the instant you are off your bike it becomes concealed carry unless the weapon is on the bike instead. If it's in a range bag you're generally fine regardless as it's in transport, and really no different than if you carry a loaded gun in the bag from your car (I know some people that do).

Re: open carry, CO also does allow open (non-concealed) carry without any kind of permit, but just be cognizant of your surroundings. Private establishments can disallow that, and you should be very deliberate about not doing anything that could be construed as menacing. There are occasional reports of menacing charges being filed against people legally open-carrying a gun just because some idiot freaked out at the sight of it. Typically those don't go anywhere but it can happen.

I know of some people that CCW on the bike, none that open carry though perhaps transnone does it. You're already a target for cops and assholes on the thing, don't need one more reason to make them go after you. Plus open carrying during a "LEO contact moment" will unnecessarily raise blood pressures.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    In CO you can carry concealed and loaded in your motor vehicle without a permit, this is generally accepted to extend to motorcycles as well. Just be careful of this, because the instant you are off your bike it becomes concealed carry unless the weapon is on the bike instead. If it's in a range bag you're generally fine regardless as it's in transport, and really no different than if you carry a loaded gun in the bag from your car (I know some people that do).

Re: open carry, CO also does allow open (non-concealed) carry without any kind of permit, but just be cognizant of your surroundings. Private establishments can disallow that, and you should be very deliberate about not doing anything that could be construed as menacing. There are occasional reports of menacing charges being filed against people legally open-carrying a gun just because some idiot freaked out at the sight of it. Typically those don't go anywhere but it can happen.

I know of some people that CCW on the bike, none that open carry though perhaps transnone does it. You're already a target for cops and assholes on the thing, don't need one more reason to make them go after you. Plus open carrying during a "LEO contact moment" will unnecessarily raise blood pressures.
    I know some people may frown upon it; I don't have my CCW (also uncomfortable while riding) yet, AZ was a constitutional carry state, and I was advised to protect myself here in NC. This may not sound like a big deal to people not living here, but Hell's Angels gunned down a soldier on a HD on his way back to post not too long ago (carrying wouldn't have helped but it illustrates some of the craziness). Crime is also far worse than CoS.

I know open carry and then CCW+carry on me is an option, I'm just interested in transport too/from the range. I feel like open carry on my person on the bike is a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    I know some people may frown upon it; I don't have my CCW (also uncomfortable while riding) yet, AZ was a constitutional carry state, and I was advised to protect myself here in NC. This may not sound like a big deal to people not living here, but Hell's Angels gunned down a soldier on a HD on his way back to post not too long ago (carrying wouldn't have helped but it illustrates some of the craziness). Crime is also far worse than CoS.
    Yep, some places it's becoming more of a necessity. AZ I would carry, Denver is still pretty safe overall (though there are some occasions I'd like to). Didn't know NC was that bad, but shit's going wacky all over these days.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Yep, some places it's becoming more of a necessity. AZ I would carry, Denver is still pretty safe overall (though there are some occasions I'd like to). Didn't know NC was that bad, but shit's going wacky all over these days.
    You know what's ironic? I've never seen so many churches in my life....

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    You know what's ironic? I've never seen so many churches in my life....
    Jesus would have an AK. You know this, I know this.

than sincere ignorance

Having worked in NC for a few years, there are several things you will notice....

1: Everyone has guns.
    2: There is a lot of poverty and racism.
    3: God is big in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Having worked in NC for a few years, there are several things you will notice....

Indeed >.>

forgot this one
    4: All tea is sweetened.

forgot this one
    4: All tea is sweetened.
    Yeah, I'm that asshole who specifically orders unsweet tea.

I carry in my tankbag or on my person in a retention holster(with CCW permit). You can legally carry on the bike concealed with or without a permit, but as mentioned, concealed becomes an issue as soon as you step off the bike, unless you are on private property and have consent of the property owner. Open carry is legal in most of the state, but Denver bars it entirely, and a couple of other municipalities have restrictions (Breckenridge in particular is weird). Open carry is also prohibited in most parks and open space areas. Carrying an unloaded, cased weapon on the bike would present no particular issues, except in federal facilities and other prohibited areas. "No firearms" signs on private property do not carry any weight of law, but the property owner can ask you to leave, and if you do not comply, you can be charged with 3rd degree criminal trespass, which is a misdemeanor.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

If you do open carry on a bike be prepared to get stopped. Before I wore my jacket all the time my shirt lifted over my gun once and I was pulled over at gunpoint. Not a fun experience especially since I was covered under open carry and CCW.
    "Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too" - CHRISTIAN COWBOY

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Quote Originally Posted by losermonkey View Post
    If you do open carry on a bike be prepared to get stopped. Before I wore my jacket all the time my shirt lifted over my gun once and I was pulled over at gunpoint. Not a fun experience especially since I was covered under open carry and CCW.
    Really?

So you were carrying concealed (with a permit?) and someone saw your gun and you were stopped at gun point
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Yep, I was getting onto I-25 via C-470 and saw a cop on the side of the road, then he hopped behind me. Pulled me over and told me to put my hands up and took my gun out of my holster. I asked him probably four times if he wanted to see my permit, which he never did take. After he ran all my info he was actually decent about the situation. He said they got a call that I had a gun and I was pulling my shirt down over it and it looked suspicious.
    "Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too" - CHRISTIAN COWBOY

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Quote Originally Posted by losermonkey View Post
    Yep, I was getting onto I-25 via C-470 and saw a cop on the side of the road, then he hopped behind me. Pulled me over and told me to put my hands up and took my gun out of my holster. I asked him probably four times if he wanted to see my permit, which he never did take. After he ran all my info he was actually decent about the situation. He said they got a call that I had a gun and I was pulling my shirt down over it and it looked suspicious.
    Next time wave it around and yell incoherently. Way less suspicious.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I carry in my tankbag or on my person in a retention holster(with CCW permit). You can legally carry on the bike concealed with or without a permit, but as mentioned, concealed becomes an issue as soon as you step off the bike, unless you are on private property and have consent of the property owner. Open carry is legal in most of the state, but Denver bars it entirely, and a couple of other municipalities have restrictions (Breckenridge in particular is weird). Open carry is also prohibited in most parks and open space areas. Carrying an unloaded, cased weapon on the bike would present no particular issues, except in federal facilities and other prohibited areas. "No firearms" signs on private property do not carry any weight of law, but the property owner can ask you to leave, and if you do not comply, you can be charged with 3rd degree criminal trespass, which is a misdemeanor.
    Good info to know. Thanks.

Next time wave it around and yell incoherently. Way less suspicious.

"DONT TAZE ME BRO"
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook