Thread: 6/22/13 ride?

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

6/22/13 ride?

Anyone up for say a 3-4'ish hour ride on Saturday morning (like kickstands up by say 7:30)?
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: 6/22/13 ride?

What route are you thinkin? Early KSU is good the boss says I can do a 3 hour ride...
    05 SV 650-New baby
    01 Buell Blast-1st bike

I'll talk to the boss lady, but I don't see why not. Where?

Let me work up a proposed route and I'll get it posted shortly.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I really need to get the bike legal again....sigh.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I really need to get the bike legal again....sigh.
    Yes.... yes you do!

So here is my theory:

Proposed 6/22/13 Route

Now keep in mind I have never ridden, driven, walked, or anything Squaw Pass Rd so I have no idea the difficulty level or conditions... its just a proposal at this moment and am up for adjusting given I am still at an only intermediate at best level with my cornering.

I guess I'll need to turn on the computer.
    Last edited by Nolan; Thu Jun 20th, 2013 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Yes.... yes you do!

So here is my theory:

Proposed 6/22/13 Route

Now keep in mind I have never ridden, driven, walked, or anything Squaw Pass Rd so I have no idea the difficulty level or conditions... its just a proposal at this moment and am up for adjusting given I am still at an only intermediate at best level with my cornering.
    It's a fun road with great views, but it also gets the hell kicked out of it in winter so they're finally doing some proper repairs:
    CO Hwy 103/Squaw Pass Road Construction Detour
    April 5, 2013

CO Hwy 103/Squaw Pass Road will be under construction during the spring, summer, and fall of 2013. Construction detours will be in place. Beginning Friday, April 5, 2013, CO Hwy 103/Squaw Pass Road will be closed between the east and west intersections of CO Hwy 103/Squaw Pass Road and Old Squaw Pass Road. Please use Old Squaw Pass Road as your detour route to connect around this construction closure. Reduced speeds are in effect on Old Squaw Pass Road and violators will be ticketed. We appreciate your patience during this construction project.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    It's a fun road with great views, but it also gets the hell kicked out of it in winter so they're finally doing some proper repairs:
    Bloody hell.
    There goes that notion.

RECALCULATING...

Bloody hell.
    There goes that notion.

RECALCULATING...
    No need. I did that for you. Rode that last weekend. The detour is along Old Squaw Pass Road. It's paved and actually a fun little roller coaster of a detour. I could see the occasional romp on it even after the construction is done.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...a=5,6&t=m&z=15

Be aware though even once you bypass the construction there are a couple of how shall I say it.. gravel speed bumps, where they dug trenches across the road for work and backfilled it. And last Saturday there was active construction work that shut it down to one lane just for little bit. Just take it easy until you reach the old Echo Mtn Ski area. (Or from the ski area east if you're running it counter clockwise)

Doo eet!
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Jun 20th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Also, if you're starting in Golden and going counterclockwise as your map suggests, you might want to start at the Starbucks at 93 and Washington aka GoBux. That's the standard meeting spot for rides out of Golden (there's a 7-11 right there for gas, as well).
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    Also, if you're starting in Golden and going counterclockwise as your map suggests, you might want to start at the Starbucks at 93 and Washington aka GoBux. That's the standard meeting spot for rides out of Golden (there's a 7-11 right there for gas, as well).
    Hey Dave you wanna let me leak oil all over your bike again?

Quote Originally Posted by 60pan View Post
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...l=1#post738158

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...nd-Out-biker-(

start early beat the traffic and the bicycles. The weather is looking good. If I can motivate the family we will be at the Mt Evans summit around 8am. Gotta go early to see the goats
    Well bloody hell...
    I didn't realize that's the route he was on with that accident.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to totally rethink my plans / route here and come up with something different.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...l=1#post738158

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...nd-Out-biker-(

start early beat the traffic and the bicycles. The weather is looking good. If I can motivate the family we will be at the Mt Evans summit around 8am. Gotta go early to see the goats
    If the fandamily doesn't get up you should take the DRZ up there and you can take upper bear creek to get to squaw. MT Evans is a good time on the Sumo

Ha you just want a DRZ ride.....
    since I just did Mt Evans on the BMW last week, if they don't get up tomorrow morning ill be going on a different ride.. Maybe a quick Wellington lake run. Idk

Whoa....
    Vance, just do it man. There will always be something. Just ride. It's cool.
    You're coming from south subs. Start at Moco, the earlier you are on the route the better. The heavier traffic and bicycles will build on the southern half of your route.. Get it done and get away from them.
    mostly take your time and enjoy. If you want to run part of Squaw fast, save it for a weekday morning

Well I have two concerns:
    1) I don't want to ride alone. I'm still shaky on some of my cornering skills, especially the right leans. The ride Sully took me out on last Sunday really pushed me and got me back up to about a 3-4 year noob, not a 20 year vet like I should be... so I'd very much like to have someone on the ride to be able to wonder where I disappeared to if they don't see me catching up after a few minutes.

2) I need to be back home somewhere around 12'ish... so I really need to time my ride and my route well... which may mean completely revamping the ride path.

Is this still on? I'm in. Just need a meet time and place.I'll keep an eye on you.... Even if I'm still a noob with a whole year of riding!

I'm special.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    Is this still on? I'm in. Just need a meet time and place.I'll keep an eye on you.... Even if I'm still a noob with a whole year of riding!

I'm special.
    Fucking Google Maps isn't cooperating...
    I want to do a ride for sure - I just need to figure out when I can go and the route.
    I'll post more shortly - I have to run my baby to the doctor.
    Last edited by Vance; Fri Jun 21st, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

No worries. MoCo or golden to meet up? I could care less about the maps/route. I'm sure that will sort itself out tomorrow. Just need a time and place. I'm good till noon ish.

Even on vacation I'm still on a fucking schedule that isn't mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    No worries. MoCo or golden to meet up? I could care less about the maps/route. I'm sure that will sort itself out tomorrow. Just need a time and place. I'm good till noon ish.

Even on vacation I'm still on a fucking schedule that isn't mine!
    Things have gone to shit and chaos for me here... I don't think I'm getting out as early as planned so maybe hitting the Starbuck's in Golden at 8:30 or something and seeing who is doing what run is going to be the / my best bet at this point since I can't seem to get a straight answer on anything from the family reunion crew who is running my schedule at the moment.

All I know is I have until about noon - 1pm too at the most.

Well I have two concerns:
    1) I don't want to ride alone. I'm still shaky on some of my cornering skills, especially the right leans. The ride Sully took me out on last Sunday really pushed me and got me back up to about a 3-4 year noob, not a 20 year vet like I should be...
    Part of being a 20 year vet is knowing when you should dial it back. I'd say you're riding perfectly for your years of experience. I don't consider it to be a mark of skill when someone feels like they have to prove something keeping up and becomes a guard rail ornament.

2) I need to be back home somewhere around 12'ish... so I really need to time my ride and my route well... which may mean completely revamping the ride path.
    Things have gone to shit and chaos for me here... I don't think I'm getting out as early as planned so maybe hitting the Starbuck's in Golden at 8:30 or something and seeing who is doing what run is going to be the / my best bet at this point since I can't seem to get a straight answer on anything from the family reunion crew who is running my schedule at the moment.

All I know is I have until about noon - 1pm too at the most.
    You can very easily make the Squaw run and back between 8:30-noon. I can make it to the top of Squaw in an hour from S Denver, and the back side + return up I-70 is faster than the approach through the cool bits. If you find you have the time, I also suggest running it back the other way instead of taking 70. The scenery is different coming at it from that perspective and the road feels totally different. You can also hit Mt Evans Road while you're there if you have the time (not sure if you want to push your schedule that much though). But still lots of good places to pull off and enjoy the view as you go up the hill. I used to do work on transmitters on the top of Squaw Mtn, so I'm very familiar with that road.

There's also a nice deli on the west end of Idaho Springs IIRC that had some good breakfast stuff.

than sincere ignorance

I can be at the Starbucks at 8:30, if you don't mind riding with me again. And I'd be happy with your original route...I'm actually curious to see that detour on Squaw pass, and I could show you the semi-famous "super view" at the Juniper Pass parking area.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

I think you might be interested in this track:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...241050c7e54c15

Created by Google My Tracks on Android.

Name: 3725-3799 Washington Ave
    Activity type: -
    Description: -
    Total distance: 134.90 km (83.8 mi)
    Total time: 2:19:42
    Moving time: 2:17:11
    Average speed: 57.93 km/h (36.0 mi/h)
    Average moving speed: 58.99 km/h (36.7 mi/h)
    Max speed: 125.10 km/h (77.7 mi/h)
    Average pace: 1.04 min/km (1.7 min/mi)
    Average moving pace: 1.02 min/km (1.6 min/mi)
    Fastest pace: 0.48 min/km (0.8 min/mi)
    Max elevation: 3381 m (11093 ft)
    Min elevation: 1725 m (5658 ft)
    Elevation gain: 2746 m (9009 ft)
    Max grade: 11 %
    Min grade: -9 %
    Recorded: 6/22/2013 08:57