Thread: Looking for people to climb cell phone towers

Looking for people to climb cell phone towers

My company just landed a big job and we are looking for people to climb cell phone towers. The work sounds fairly easy, replacing an antenna and running new copper and fiber cables. If you have any experience climbing towers, silos or anything like that let me know.
    "Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too" - CHRISTIAN COWBOY

2012 Aprilia RSV4

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Re: Looking for people to climb cell phone towers

I'd love to do it as weekend work, I've climbed a lot of trees

I'll keep my ears open. Any certifications or license required? Rough idea of pay scales if no experience?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

I honestly have no idea if a climbing certification is required since we have never done this type of work. I don't think we are looking for people with no experience because that is all of our technician's. A very rough guess for pay with experience would be $20-$40 an hour but don't hold me to that.
    "Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too" - CHRISTIAN COWBOY

2012 Aprilia RSV4

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

If its weekend work I'm very interested. I've done paging installations in the past along with a wealth of climbing wall / tower / adventure course installations. I'm in northern Colorado.

PM me if interested

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I've done this work, I don't think there is a certification per se but you do want someone who has done safety training and understands what to do. Cell towers aren't as high as the paging stuff I used to do as well, but falling from 30 feet can still put a damper in your day.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Mind if I ask what provider this is for? LTE upgrades?

As someone who is trained for tower climbing, here is some information for you. Above 6 feet, OSHA requires that a competent person be involved, what training that means is up to the company. There are 3rd party companies that do training, but it is up to the company to 'certify' them for the work. Also, above 6 feet 100% fall protection is required to be provided and used.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be happy to discuss it with you.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Sounds fun and scary. I about shit a brick just watching a video of a guy climbing some 1500ft tower on youtube.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

There's not much "climbing" in cell towers. The guys are spoiled with manlifts...at least out here.

Thanks for the inquires. Since I am just a peon trying to spread the word I would rather not give out the customer's name due to the confidentiality agreement.

As far as the fall protection above six foot goes, it kind of depends on what kind of work you are doing, how long you will be there for, and a lot of times it depends on the GC. Last year I actually called the Denver OSHA office to ask about working on a 30' extension ladder and they informed me that for working on a ladder OSHA does not actually require fall protection as it would generally slow down the work process and a lot of times there is nothing to tie off to. You can even go online and read through the hundreds of forms to find this.

For those who are interested if this will be weekend work, unfortunately no it won't be.

For the use of man lifts, yes there will be sites where we will be able to use them but there will also be others we won't be able to. These towers will vary between 50 to 600 feet.

2012 Aprilia RSV4

I would be interested in doing this. I haven't done it before, but I'm mechanically capable and not afraid of heights. Is this a job for all around the state servicing towers or is it just Denver area specific? If your company would accept an app from me let me know I'll apply.
    Phat-X Racing
    MRA # 660
    Thunder Bail Bonds 303-459-2448
    Monster Machine 719-471-1991
    Tell them Trace sent you!

I was just talking to a guy two days ago who started doing this 3 months ago. He said in getting his climbing certification, he had to go up and rescue somebody from a tower. Don't count on man lifts, you'll be climbing very high, and dangling from your harness only hundreds of ffeet above ground. Better be experienced with heights because it's a wholenother world

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)