Thread: Bike not charging properly.

Bike not charging properly.

2009 Buell 1125r

Im at wits end here. Ive pretty much replaced everything in the charging system but I am still having issues. Short story is I had my stator fail a few weeks after purchasing this bike. I replaced the stator, rotor, removed the HD harness (Harleys suppose fix to their common stator failures on these bikes) and charged the battery. Bike would start, charge during the first ride up to 14 volts, then drop back down to under 12. Next I replaced the voltage regulator, same scenario. Up to 14 then back down to 12 and stays there. Lastly I just put in a new battery thinking it wasn't able to sustain a high charge. Again first ride it charged up to 14.4 until I had to stop, and then it dropped to 12.3-4. During idle it drops to 12v and cruising at 3500rpm I can only get 12.3.

Purchased the rotor from ErikBuellRacing.com, apparently these bikes are very well known for overheating the stator causing a break down.

Had my stator rewound by http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/
    Stator is not grounded, I see infinite ohms when checking between the three wires.
    Stator is good as it is putting out 40-45volts (ac) @ 3000rpm (meets manufacturers spec)

The stator wires go directly into new Voltage regulator.

I upgraded the VR from stock to a CB 605 SB from http://roadstercycle.com/Roadstercyc...Regulators.htm
    I have not found any reliable way to test the VR. Im assuming its good at this point. If anyone knows how to test one im all ears..

Three wires into the VR, two out going directly (relay in-between on + side) to a new battery from Batteries Plus

Voltage readings are from the HUD while riding, at idle the HUD voltage seems to only be off by .1-.2volts off actual battery voltage per a dvom.

Buell specific support online is all but minimal, I have been trying to work things out on BadWeatherBikers.com with no luck. A direct link to my post is below, I only post it as I have listed a lot more details of what I have done and what is going on.
    http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1372357182

Any help is much appreciated.
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Re: Bike not charging properly.

Replace the VR, again? Sounds like you have been crawling through it.

So you think I may have had a DOA VR? Ive seen one person claim a doa with the same VR, but I guess its possible. What do you mean by crawling through it?
    A witty saying proves nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlutVonSchwachen View Post
    So you think I may have had a DOA VR? Ive seen one person claim a doa with the same VR, but I guess its possible. What do you mean by crawling through it?
    It seems like you have went through everything once except for the replacing the VR. You said you have no way of testing it. Things do come DOA. It could be your problem.

By my own admission I am horrible with bike repair so take what I say as my opinion only.