Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advise on renting out my motorcycle to other people

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

Re: Need advise on renting out my motorcycle to other people

Quote Originally Posted by DRKATO1 View Post
    When i said maybe doing this as a non profit thing may it would limit my liability if something went wrong.
    Instead of getting a lawyer and an LLC.
    FYI becoming an actual 501(c)3 non-profit is more time consuming and expensive than registering an LLC. It also wouldn't remove the liability or insurance requirements, our non-profit is insured up the wazzo and that's just in case a cat or dog scratches someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    FYI becoming an actual 501(c)3 non-profit is more time consuming and expensive than registering an LLC. It also wouldn't remove the liability or insurance requirements, our non-profit is insured up the wazzo and that's just in case a cat or dog scratches someone.
    thanks for the info, crossed off my list

I do know the Harley shop will rent you a 2013 Bike. It was $175 for 24 hours on a FXDWG. $3k hold on the CC which covers the deductible.

I doubt your insurance would be OK with a claim on a bike your rented out though, also be prepared to screw up your history with insurance companies if it does happen and you don't go through proper channels.

How much does your health insurance cover on this surgery?

I would wait untill obamacare come into effect, buy a policy with a maximum out of pocket you can afford for the first year and get it done then, best of luck!
    Last edited by Chris; Mon Jul 1st, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

People keep talking about insurance that I must have but i'm not riding the bike when you rent it. If you wreck my bike and you better have your own insurance to cover the liability portion of the damage that you do to someone else' car or whatever you hit. I will require a copy of your insurance card on your car or motorcycle that covers a rental bike like progressive does. But this coverage will not cover my bike, that is what the deposit is going to be used for to help fix my bike and if the deposit does not cover it all I may have to sue you for the balance. I know it's a PITA but just don't wreck my bike.
    i'll have my own insurance and if I ever have to use it that will be the end of it.

I've been riding Honda motorcycles for over 30 years and I bounce the rev limiter every chance I get, mostly on the track. they are made to be rode hard as you can push them and still get 80k miles out of them if maintained correctly. The CBR1000RR that I have 20k miles gets beat on by me all the time, i highly recommend it and it is faster now than when I purchased it off the showroom floor.

Did I just read someone post compairing a Harley to my work of art RC51 swiss watch.
    Wicky do you have your ban hammer ready.

I'm just kidding, I've owned a couple of Harleys and will never make that mistake again.
    Can I get a hell yea.

I hope everybody has enjoyed reading my post, if I piss someone off im sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
    I think what is being said, and I saw it in several posts, is this.

OK so I am an asshole that rents your bike. I am out riding and the chain breaks, or the brakes fail, or someone pulls out in front of me and I just think the brakes fail, I don't have the experience so I just crash. Had to lay er down ya know. So being an asshole and not taking any responsibility for my own actions I sue you. I get your house, your car, and your savings in the process.

Yes they are out there for sure.

So all I am saying is make sure you protect yourself and not just the bike.

Not trying to scare you away and it sounds like a good idea but please do be mindful of the situation.

Man I am sorry. I was just trying to help you out and let you know what you could be in for. I guess it just pissed you off so I am out of here.

Marc
    I agree with you 100%. I've got the asshole thing coverd

I think people here are trying to make you see that people are Assholes and will sue you, no matter what you have in writing or contract. Guy I work with let his buddy ride his bike buddy takes girl friend for ride wrecks 10 months later his bike is still in impound buddy fucked up buddys girl friend got hurt sueing owner of bike, guy I work with. Has made it not to fun for him. All it takes is one a hole to make things really bad.

Reminds me of a story from last year when a guy had his 3 month old car towed into the shop because he had blown up the motor. I pulled up the cars computer data and his max speed was 156 mph.
    I do love what you can do with gps and on board data recording these days. All that money i spent to get my electronic engineering degree really comes in handy sometimes.

Not only can I see your lap times at HPR in real time while sitting at home. I can show the cops how fast you where going on highway 70 to get there. But that's only if your an asshole to me.

It's amazing what the new cars record during an accedent when airbags deploy.

After a couple of beers I tend to ramble and miss spell words.

Anybody remember back in the early years when Hertz used to rent performance cars and had some kind of data recorder that could tell them you where at a racetrack going around and around at a high rate of speed.
    Last edited by DRKATO1; Mon Jul 1st, 2013 at 09:04 PM.

I think they have that on all their cars now.

I went to Cali on business a few years back and got a Corvette convertible. I pushed that thing all week and got caught doing donuts in the parking garage. (people who rent are assholes)

They also had Hummers, and a couple of other mid range sports cars that were pretty nice for rent.

I was thinking they started it back in the early 70s when they first started renting camaros in southern cali.

Last edited by DRKATO1; Mon Jul 1st, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
    I think people here are trying to make you see that people are Assholes and will sue you, no matter what you have in writing or contract. Guy I work with let his buddy ride his bike buddy takes girl friend for ride wrecks 10 months later his bike is still in impound buddy fucked up buddys girl friend got hurt sueing owner of bike, guy I work with. Has made it not to fun for him. All it takes is one a hole to make things really bad.
    thanks for the input. I added no passengers to the contract because of your story.

Quote Originally Posted by DRKATO1 View Post

is this to small to read? I think it's a good start for a lawyer to look at. Any input would be thankfull

lots of places rent motorcycles. i dont see any issue if you take care of the legal stuff properly. you can go rent brand new sleds all day long at any resort and they cost twice as much as any used sportbike does. and rent exotic cars et cetera. not to mention plenty of dealerships let you test ride bikes and yorue not even putting a deposit on them.

Do you not have health insurance? The rental idea is a bad idea from beginning to end....just sell the bike. You can always buy another bike after your daughter has recovered.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Do you not have health insurance? The rental idea is a bad idea from beginning to end....just sell the bike. You can always buy another bike after your daughter has recovered.
    insurance will only cover 80% and that still leaves a large balance, maybe Obama care will work out for me in the end. If I sell everything it would make the balance managable maybe.
    Health insureance is such a bad joke right now.The way it is now she has one of the best spinal surgens going to do her prociedure but it cost just a little more if she didn't have any insurance at all.
    Doctors jack up the price so high if they know insurance is going to be paying most of the bill.

I had a small crack in my heel bone last year and the doc looked at my xray and put me in a boot. He charged $455 to insurance and I was in his office for 10 minuets.
    Last edited by DRKATO1; Tue Jul 2nd, 2013 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    lots of places rent motorcycles. i dont see any issue if you take care of the legal stuff properly. you can go rent brand new sleds all day long at any resort and they cost twice as much as any used sportbike does. and rent exotic cars et cetera. not to mention plenty of dealerships let you test ride bikes and yorue not even putting a deposit on them.
    Really? Maybe motorcycles, but is there places that rents sportbikes? I thought 303 Cycles was the only one and they stopped. I've seen numerous people come on this board asking where to rent a sportbike and never heard of one place. Please share these "lots of places"!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

All of the places I've seen are in the Bay Area or SoCal. You can even rent a Ninja 250 for $125 to get your M, or a Panigale for $299/day and you have to be over 25yo.

To the OP, I don't think anyone's saying it's a bad idea to offer the service , just beware of the potential costs of running a business beyond just signing a rental contract.

The "asshole factor": a renter comes to rent your bike and trips and falls on some gravel in your driveway, sprains an ankle. He sues you for not keeping the premises safe for customers. Idiots are everywhere, why do you think McDonalds has the warning "Contents are HOT" on their coffees and apple pies?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

You might want to start with something like this Boat Rental Contract

Two full pages of "You assume all liability" initial here, here, here, here, there, up there, over here, down here, your mom, here, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic View Post
    You might want to start with something like this Boat Rental Contract

Two full pages of "You assume all liability" initial here, here, here, here, there, up there, over here, down here, your mom, here, etc.
    Good find Generic!