Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

Re: Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie675 View Post
    This situation has been going through my mind a lot over the past 24 hours. I decided that my best option was to place a weapon in my tank bag. No, I didn't put my gun in there, and my knife is only part of my multi-tool, but instead I went and picked up a little can of OC spray. I would have had no issues spraying him when he knocked on my helmet, rode away, and immediately called 911 to inform them of the situation. I've been through OC training enough times to know that it will stop almost any person dead in their tracks.
    Sounded like you were pretty scared....my girl gets this way too when confronted with road rage (she carries OC spray too!!!)

Hopefully the weapon you now have in your tank bag helps to make you feel safe now

Just kidding, but dang I really do get surprised how many grown men get frightened so easy nowadays. Your way was probably the "right" way, but I'd have a hard time letting someone bully me like that. Gun or no gun a fast hit to the nose will drop and disable most people and I think you were justified at that point
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Jul 5th, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Sounded like you were pretty scared....my girl gets this way too when confronted with road rage (she carries OC spray too!!!)

Hopefully the weapon you now have in your tank bag helps to make you feel safe now

Just kidding, but dang I really do get surprised how many grown men get frightened so easy nowadays. Your way was probably the "right" way, but I'd have a hard time letting someone bully me like that. Gun or no gun a fast hit to the nose will drop and disable most people and I think you were justified at that point
    Haha DICK! I wasn't scared of the guy! I didn't even think anything of it. I just put my phone away and rode off. I thought that was the end of the situation. I had no idea I was going to look back and see him run to his car and start chasing me. I was scared that I was on a new bike that I've never pushed it to its limits before. Let alone, being on streets I've never been before, and having no idea where to go.

If I would have gotten to the gas station, or somewhere else, and CSP just didn't happen to be there, then I could just pull out the OC and quickly end the situation without having to justify using a deadly weapon.

Like I stated before. I have 7 years of "Police" work under my belt. I hope to god that I never have to pull a weapon and justify myself without any witnesses or evidence, and I will do anything possible to diffuse the situation.

What scares me are the people who carry and don't have any training and think they know how to handle situations. There's too many "George Zimmermans" out there.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Haha DICK! I wasn't scared of the guy! I didn't even think anything of it. I just put my phone away and rode off. I thought that was the end of the situation. I had no idea I was going to look back and see him run to his car and start chasing me. I was scared that I was on a new bike that I've never pushed it to its limits before. Let alone, being on streets I've never been before, and having no idea where to go.

If I would have gotten to the gas station, or somewhere else, and CSP just didn't happen to be there, then I could just pull out the OC and quickly end the situation without having to justify using a deadly weapon.

Like I stated before. I have 7 years of "Police" work under my belt. I hope to god that I never have to pull a weapon and justify myself without any witnesses or evidence, and I will do anything possible to diffuse the situation.

What scares me are the people who carry and don't have any training and think they know how to handle situations. There's too many "George Zimmermans" out there.
    See what gets me here is people on this site always have to go to weapons to protect themselves! Why not take a few self defense classes instead of having to hope you have a weapon on you to feel safe? It wasn't like the guy was waving a knife or gun to you; he probably was just pissed off and wanted to fight. I mean what you did was probably the better thing to do, but always needing to go for someone for help may not always be a option and a weapon may not always be around.

Come on man...you were a little scared!

P.S. If you guys that carry think you are going to win 100% of the time you are wrong! My dad taught self defense classes for years and there are people out there that can disarm you way faster than you probably expect! Then they now have YOUR weapon! My pops proved it to me over and over again when he had me come at him with training knives, training gun pulls, etc....

EJ, since your my homie and replied about the 9mm, I think we should do a mock argument with us face to face. You go for the gun (unloaded of course since a mock) and lets see how effective a gun pull is when within arms reach. Will a gun draw in a holster be faster than a punch or tackle someone could land? I am not so sure it would be
    Last edited by bulldog; Fri Jul 5th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

great, looks like I'm going to have to shave my moustache.

Seriously glad you are ok. Sounds like you made the right decisions
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Hey Dude, use your street smarts - he touched your helmet, so calmly walk to the back of his car and take down his license #. If you get in a scuffle, you were just getting his license, and with your gear on he'll probably get the worst of it

Keeper of The Great White Buffalo

Good job on getting away. Had you had to deal with him hand to hand out on some country road god only knows the penalties you would pay if u killed him in self defense or accidentally. Sketchy people on the verge of snapping...

Broker Associate RE/MAX Alliance
    A business built on referrals

Crazy story. I can't believe he followed you so far and intensely. Road rage is like speeding tickets, you can take measures to reduce your chances of encountering them, but if you drive enough you WILL run into it eventually. I think if you're carrying, you should always carry a secondary defense. I think guns should mostly only (few exceptions) be used in your own home. Too many bystanders out there (plus at a gas station!? no way dog!). Easier to pull the trigger on spray than a trigger on a gun knowing you might kill the person. Then you might seize up, and if not terrified the attacker would only be more angry...

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Crazy story. I can't believe he followed you so far and intensely. Road rage is like speeding tickets, you can take measures to reduce your chances of encountering them, but if you drive enough you WILL run into it eventually. I think if you're carrying, you should always carry a secondary defense. I think guns should mostly only (few exceptions) be used in your own home. Too many bystanders out there (plus at a gas station!? no way dog!). Easier to pull the trigger on spray than a trigger on a gun knowing you might kill the person. Then you might seize up, and if not terrified the attacker would only be more angry...
    You mean like this guy who pulled his gun out and shot at the teenager over road rage and is now facing 4 years in prison......carrying does not always solve situations!

You can see what he is facing here.
    http://www.wcti12.com/news/Deputies-...r/-/index.html

You mean like this guy who pulled his gun out and shot at the teenager over road rage and is now facing 4 years in prison......carrying does not always solve situations!

You can see what he is facing here.
    http://www.wcti12.com/news/Deputies-...r/-/index.html

I hope he gets divorced and I can marry his wife. What a woman!

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    I hope he gets divorced and I can marry his wife. What a woman!
    Well she is getting charged too, so hopefully they both go away to prison. Bet he wishes he didn't have that gun handy when he was in his self proclaimed "rage" or his lame wife stayed out of it and left the gun in the SUV...punk follows them over 40 miles, then assaults both teenagers and them gets hurts he gets beat up so starts shooting....all while his 4 year old is in the SUV. Without that gun I bet he could have taken his beating and went on with his life. Now his entire life has changed over a stupid mistake. it's why I feel some gun owners would be better off calming down rather than having a lethal weapon on them....tempers!

And yes I am a gun owner, but also why I don't carry one with me at all times; feel it may cause more trouble than it solves!
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 10:28 AM.

Well she is getting charged too, so hopefully they both go away to prison. Bet he wishes he didn't have that gun handy when he was in his self proclaimed "rage" or his lame wife stayed out of it and left the gun in the SUV...punk follows them over 40 miles, then assaults both teenagers and them gets hurts he gets beat up so starts shooting....all while his 4 year old is in the SUV. Without that gun I bet he could have taken his beating and went on with his life. Now his entire life has changed over a stupid mistake. it's why I feel some gun owners would be better off calming down rather than having a lethal weapon on them....tempers!

And yes I am a gun owner, but also why I don't carry one with me at all times; feel it may cause more trouble than it solves!

I remember seeing that video awhile back, I didn't know he came back though!!

Deputies said Bradley Turner then left the scene, but returned a few moments later and fired several shots at Berry's truck, which was unoccupied at the time.
    That goes way beyond self defense.

Bradley Turner was previously arrested for assault and trespassing charges in 2002 and 2003, investigators said. Those charges were later dropped.
    Sounds like he should not be allowed to own a gun.

It wouldn't have happened if we had gun control. Because then he wouldn't have had a gun.

Senior Member Moderator

Even though the man in that video is facing charges for discharging the gun while the two were in the process of fleeing, the gun served its purpose. Just seeing the gun was enough to cause the other two to run. I'm not advocating that the man and the woman were in the right, in that situation he was completely in the wrong, but the firearm served to deter further violence which is the point I think others are trying to make. I don't think most people have the stones to throw down when the other guy has a gun.

I have years of martial arts experience (Taekwondo, Hapkido, and Judo) and know that the first choice in any confrontation is to avoid conflict. Secondly, if I were straddling my bike and some dude catches me off guard from behind, I'm at a double disadvantage since I have restricted range of movement and few viable striking options until I am clear of the bike. Now I can either choose to drop the bike and escalate, or choose to get away. In every situation, unless I have the no other choice, I will avoid conflict. Thirdly, disarming a person with a plastic gun/knife is easy, and the level of confidence is high because there is no risk of injury. It becomes a different situation when it's a real blade or a loaded gun with the safety off. Chances are, unless the circumstances are ideal, the odds of escaping uninjured during a disarming attempt are not in your favor. Either way, in all hypothetical situations comes risk. Even a brawl might not end in your favor if your opponent is equally skilled. It was the right call to get out of the situation.
    Last edited by Drano; Thu Jul 11th, 2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    Even though the man in that video is facing charges for discharging the gun while the two were in the process of fleeing, the gun served its purpose. Just seeing the gun was enough to cause the other two to run. I'm not advocating that the man and the woman were in the right, in that situation he was completely in the wrong, but the firearm served to deter further violence which is the point I think others are trying to make. I don't think most people have the stones to throw down when the other guy has a gun.
    What purpose was that? The guys had ALREADY stopped so I don't see how the gun caused that at all. If anything those guys could have beat him down to death, yet they stopped, so I don't get where you see it stopped further violence since it was clear they stopped before the gun was even seen!

I have years of martial arts experience (Taekwondo, Hapkido, and Judo) and know that the first choice in any confrontation is to avoid conflict. Secondly, if I were straddling my bike and some dude catches me off guard from behind, I'm at a double disadvantage since I have restricted range of movement and few viable striking options until I am clear of the bike. Now I can either choose to drop the bike and escalate, or choose to get away.
    Not sure if you are talking about the situation on this thread, but nobody caught anyone off guard as it stated the guy tapped on his helmet; the guy did not attack guy on bike. The best option was to avoid the situation as you said, but my point was for the people that say that having a gun may have made this situation better....just not sure it would have. First you pull a gun, and there is no guarantee the other person doesn't have one too, so now you are in a old fashion stand off. Next, it is easy to say you will shoot, but how many people have actually shot a person; it's not as easy as the movies make it out to be. Next, yes, most likely you will not disarm a person with a weapon, but it can happen and then the weapon can be used against you....it's happened many times before.

Just goes back to if our society's reliance on guns is a good thing. Growing up you got into fist fight and then you usually got up and shook hands; I actually became best friends with two guy that I fought when younger. Guns usually equal a hospital stay or death and a simple fistfight usually does not and each person goes away with a lesson learned and not a life changed! Even if you are justified in using a gun for self defense they will still book you and you will have to fight it out in court...and then hope you get plead not-guilty. Look at Zimmerman...even is he wins he has spent all this time and money fighting this.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Jebus, I just lost an hour of my life watching all the follow up videos to that beat down gun video. I must miss Jerry Springer or something. It was like watching a train wreck, you could see it all, but not stop it from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Jebus, I just lost an hour of my life watching all the follow up videos to that beat down gun video. I must miss Jerry Springer or something. It was like watching a train wreck, you could see it all, but not stop it from happening.
    Don't worry I watched them all too and for some reason video buffer was horrible on them so I wasted more than a hour. Amazed me though in that video to find out these people had a 4 year old kid in the backseat as dad chases a bunch of teenagers 40 miles and then decided to confront the teenager too...what normal parent would even put their kid in that harm!!!!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It wouldn't have happened if we had gun control. Because then he wouldn't have had a gun.
    Come again?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

If it was illegal for him to have a gun he wouldn't have had one and it wouldn't have happened. How do you not get this, it's so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    If it was illegal for him to have a gun he wouldn't have had one and it wouldn't have happened. How do you not get this, it's so simple.
    Don't open the flood gate man...amendment rights!!!!!

So to go with this for fun: Although in other countries it is like that and it works...although cops and armed forces would be allowed still so Aaron would be fine! Sure people would still get or make guns, but if the penalty for getting caught with one was so severe it would lessen that; say automatic 10 years in prison or better yet a $100K fine so we don't clog the prison system. Just think how much better a cops job would be if they didn't have to worry about others shooting at them, so I could see where Aaron is coming from. Plus I think I could live without guns if I knew nearly nobody had one either. I actually did have a good conversation with a local when I went to Cancun; got there days after Theater shooting, so they were aware of Denver CO and what happened. I asked him if stuff like that ever happened there and he said "no, because guns are illegal here" Claimed he never saw guns other than officers's.

So to go with this for fun: Although in other countries it is like that and it works...although cops and armed forces would be allowed still so Aaron would be fine! Sure people would still get or make guns, but if the penalty for getting caught with one was so severe it would lessen that; say automatic 10 years in prison or better yet a $100K fine so we don't clog the prison system. Just think how much better a cops job would be if they didn't have to worry about others shooting at them, so I could see where Aaron is coming from. Plus I think I could live without guns if I knew nearly nobody had one either. I actually did have a good conversation with a local when I went to Cancun; got there days after Theater shooting, so they were aware of Denver CO and what happened. I asked him if stuff like that ever happened there and he said "no, because guns are illegal here" Claimed he never saw guns other than officers's.
    I'm not anti-gun by any means; I grew up with guns, and I'm comfortable with them.

But something I never realized until joining this board is just how many people evidently carry concealed. I naively thought you had to actually have a reason to get a CC permit, but apparently pretty much anyone can get one. And _that_ I'm not really comfortable with. IMHO it seems like if you're carrying large amounts of cash or valuables, or your job is to protect someone, etc., then sure - you need a concealed weapon. If you're an average joe, I don't think you do.

So as a follow up to the above - maybe carrying without a permit is the big fine/sentence that bulldog speaks of. And make permits harder to get, and revoke those that are unnecessary, according to some new set of requirements.

<covers face>

Senior Member Moderator

What purpose was that? The guys had ALREADY stopped so I don't see how the gun caused that at all. If anything those guys could have beat him down to death, yet they stopped, so I don't get where you see it stopped further violence since it was clear they stopped before the gun was even seen!
    True, as soon as the guy was down they backed off, but as soon as they saw the gun, they ran, and I don't blame them. I'm not saying pulling a gun is any more of a good thing. But in most situations, knowledge that the other guy might have a gun is usually enough of a deterrent. What I was saying is that most people see a gun and bug out. The problem, like you were saying is that if both parties have guns, then the situation will likely get worse.

Not sure if you are talking about the situation on this thread, but nobody caught anyone off guard as it stated the guy tapped on his helmet; the guy did not attack guy on bike.
    I was referring to the situation on this thread.
    As I'm looking a my phone a guy walks up and knocks on my helmet!! I look up and see this guy yelling at me.
    He was taken off guard, and in a disadvantaged position to boot. Granted, he wasn't attacked, but he's not in a good position to defend himself, and getting off the bike may signal the aggressor to escalate. On the other hand, he may back down. I can't say as I wasn't there, I'm just imagining different scenarios. But, in my experience, if yelling starts and people get off/out of their vehicle, they're getting ready to tussle.

Just goes back to if our society's reliance on guns is a good thing. Growing up you got into fist fight and then you usually got up and shook hands; I actually became best friends with two guy that I fought when younger. Guns usually equal a hospital stay or death and a simple fistfight usually does not and each person goes away with a lesson learned and not a life changed!
    I've been in fights like that too, but that's anecdotal. With any altercation, I would say that it depends. I've known plenty of guys that have put others in the hospital from a fist fight. We've all heard the tales of people having worse done to them once they're knocked out: getting kicked while they're down, curb stomping, etc. You just never know, and I have less trust today of people fighting fair than I did 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gregr View Post
    I'm not anti-gun by any means; I grew up with guns, and I'm comfortable with them.

But something I never realized until joining this board is just how many people evidently carry concealed. I naively thought you had to actually have a reason to get a CC permit, but apparently pretty much anyone can get one. And _that_ I'm not really comfortable with. IMHO it seems like if you're carrying large amounts of cash or valuables, or your job is to protect someone, etc., then sure - you need a concealed weapon. If you're an average joe, I don't think you do.

So as a follow up to the above - maybe carrying without a permit is the big fine/sentence that bulldog speaks of. And make permits harder to get, and revoke those that are unnecessary, according to some new set of requirements.

<covers face>
    I agree 100% and from this board I have really started to worry about how many people do have CC permits. As you, I assumed it was something people got for a reason like a job or they were being stalked; never did I imagine so many average people are walking around with guns that I pass daily. Why it is so easy to get one in this state is beyond me and would make way more sense to make it harder so we weed out the people that are not responsible or at least educate them on the power they hold. Another thing that amazed me is you do not need to register a gun at all in this state! I got one years ago and was amazed when I found out that it was optional to register it. To me that sounds like a very stupid law and common sense would be to have a record of every gun owned to who.

True, as soon as the guy was down they backed off, but as soon as they saw the gun, they ran, and I don't blame them. I'm not saying pulling a gun is any more of a good thing. But in most situations, knowledge that the other guy might have a gun is usually enough of a deterrent. What I was saying is that most people see a gun and bug out. The problem, like you were saying is that if both parties have guns, then the situation will likely get worse.
    See that is what scares me; it may cause people to carry more guns. Who wants to be that guy that gets a gun pulled out and not have one to yourself so many people will think they need one too and make for ahorrible situation with two armed people. Looks at my buddy Madvlad on this board; nice guy who wasn’t into guns, but all the talk of CC made him think maybe he should get one too because you never know who is carrying now….I’ve had the same thought. I got stabbed once and I carried a knife for years because I was afraid to get caught in another situation where I was attacked without one so make me worry this would happen if everyone carried….which seems like it is

[QUOTE=Drano;740414]

He was taken off guard, and in a disadvantaged position to boot. Granted, he wasn't attacked, but he's not in a good position to defend himself, and getting off the bike may signal the aggressor to escalate. On the other hand, he may back down. I can't say as I wasn't there, I'm just imagining different scenarios. But, in my experience, if yelling starts and people get off/out of their vehicle, they're getting ready to tussle.
    True, he was in a bad position if he did get attacked and I highly doubt this weirdo was knocking on his helmet for a nice chat. Overall he did the right thing and avoided the situation, but there are times when a situation cannot be avoided so it makes me feel good I could hopefully defend myself without a weapon if it came to it. Even though I say stuff, I’ve learned the hard way it is not worth it and to let things go. The fact this guy kept following Frankie is scary as most people will let things go after a brief yelling at eachother.

I've been in fights like that too, but that's anecdotal. With any altercation, I would say that it depends. I've known plenty of guys that have put others in the hospital from a fist fight. We've all heard the tales of people having worse done to them once they're knocked out: getting kicked while they're down, curb stomping, etc. You just never know, and I have less trust today of people fighting fair than I did 15 years ago.
    This is also true, but I have to think someone is a psychopath if they truly cannot tell the point at which to stop beating someone up; they have bigger issues. Most normal people will stop after someone is down or not willing to fight anymore. Luckily the worse I ever got in a fist fight was a broken nose and I never even went to hospital for it (yeah healed jacked up, but that is a different story) and I’ve been in at least 10 fist fights in my life. The one time a weapon was involved did cause me extensive hand surgery; after guy got beat up fairly after I was forced to fight him. I’ve never heard a person get shot though and not needing to go to hospital and then authorities get called and all. Of course there are times a fistfight can hurt someone bad, but I’d still rather get beat up than shot.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Jul 8th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.