Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

Re: Chased by a Road-Raged Vigilante!

Some of you seem to be worried about the people with a permit that HAD a class and HAD to pass a backgroud check in this state to get the carry permit......but ANYONE can carry its just if I get stopped mines legal. You can carry in your car no permit needed, open carry in most of the state no permit. The last people you need to worry about are the ones with CC permit.

Quote Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
    Some of you seem to be worried about the people with a permit that HAD a class and HAD to pass a backgroud check in this state to get the carry permit......but ANYONE can carry its just if I get stopped mines legal. You can carry in your car no permit needed, open carry in most of the state no permit. The last people you need to worry about are the ones with CC permit.
    A class...as in one? So how hard was this CC permit to get here in CO (everyone now requires a background check anyways)? Be honest (yes I know, just want to hear someone explain it)....

As another person said, seeing a gun brings that fear in and you avoid it, but having a concealed one pulled out is a surprise, so that is where my fear comes from....
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

A few states have what is called Constitutional Carry no class needed. Classes actually vary in this state has to be taught by a certified instructor, the one my wife and I took was over three days after work for a few hours, we did have a law night,and live fire night. Those two are not requirements for getting your permit, but very good to make you more informed. Is it easy sure, background is more about paying fees in my opinion, pay your local sheriff and wait 90 days at least that was my wait time a few years ago and then finger printed.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I took a CC class. All you really have to do is listen, and maybe take an oath or something. I might be making that last part up, but I vaguely remember selling my soul to Dudley Brown.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Classes vary. My CCW class was for people already familiar with and proficient in safe handling of firearms, and comprised almost 12 hours of classroom time. We covered use of force laws, carry prohibitions, shoot/no shoot scenarios, interacting with law enforcement(both casually, as in a traffic stop, and in relation to use of force), Menacing/brandishing violations, and many other aspects of carrying. We probably spent the greatest amount of time on techniques for de-escalating potentially violent encounters.

To get a CCW permit in this state is not difficult, but exercising one of your Constitutionally guaranteed rights really shouldn't be. How would you feel if you had to undergo a background check and show proof of competency in the English language to obtain a permit to speak publicly? Or practice your religion? Or write a letter to the editor of your local paper? Or post on an internet discussion forum?

Statistically, a CCW holder is 13 times less likely than the general population to be involved in ANY type of crime, and over 20 times less likely to be involved in a violent crime. Many cops consider a permit as a strong sign that the holder is "one of the good guys", simply because he or she has been through an extensive FBI fingerprint and background check.

We've had this conversation many times on this forum, and the bottom line (supported by a recent CDC study, commissioned by the current White House), is that stricter gun laws lead to increased gun violence, because they allow the criminals to act with impunity against unarmed, law abiding citizens. States which have a comparatively high proportion of CCW permittees have a dramatically lower incidence of violent crime.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    If it was illegal for him to have a gun he wouldn't have had one and it wouldn't have happened. How do you not get this, it's so simple.
    Well, let me try spelling it out for you:

1. We have gun control.
    2. He was arrested for crimes that may have very well prevented future ownership had he been convicted.
    3. Those charges were dropped, hence it was not illegal for him to own one.

Unless you're suggesting that merely accusing someone of a qualifying crime without any actual conviction thereof should be enough to permanently revoke a citizen's Constitutional right to carry a firearm? I sure hope not.

I'm all for convicted felons having that right removed, they have demonstrated a propensity for considerable disregard of the law. However it should rise to that level. In this man's case he was accused and then charges were dropped - not even enough evidence to proceed to trial, let alone be prosecuted and walk away with a not guilty verdict. Maybe he did those things and got lucky; he obviously has anger management issues. However taken into the context at the time, those dropped charges were definitely not enough to revoke his rights.

Do you​ get this?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Classes vary. My CCW class was for people already familiar with and proficient in safe handling of firearms, and comprised almost 12 hours of classroom time. We covered use of force laws, carry prohibitions, shoot/no shoot scenarios, interacting with law enforcement(both casually, as in a traffic stop, and in relation to use of force), Menacing/brandishing violations, and many other aspects of carrying. We probably spent the greatest amount of time on techniques for de-escalating potentially violent encounters.

To get a CCW permit in this state is not difficult, but exercising one of your Constitutionally guaranteed rights really shouldn't be. How would you feel if you had to undergo a background check and show proof of competency in the English language to obtain a permit to speak publicly? Or practice your religion? Or write a letter to the editor of your local paper? Or post on an internet discussion forum?

Statistically, a CCW holder is 13 times less likely than the general population to be involved in ANY type of crime, and over 20 times less likely to be involved in a violent crime. Many cops consider a permit as a strong sign that the holder is "one of the good guys", simply because he or she has been through an extensive FBI fingerprint and background check.

We've had this conversation many times on this forum, and the bottom line (supported by a recent CDC study, commissioned by the current White House), is that stricter gun laws lead to increased gun violence, because they allow the criminals to act with impunity against unarmed, law abiding citizens. States which have a comparatively high proportion of CCW permittees have a dramatically lower incidence of violent crime.
    +1 the class I took as well had a lot to do with being aware of your surroundings, knowing and understanding that you do not want to use your firearm, your firearm is your last resort not your first.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcj81 View Post
    +1 the class I took as well had a lot to do with being aware of your surroundings, knowing and understanding that you do not want to use your firearm, your firearm is your last resort not your first.
    I think we can all agree the guy in that video was WAY out of line with the use of his gun, and deserves to spend time in jail for it.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

If it was illegal for him to have a gun he wouldn't have had one and it wouldn't have happened. How do you not get this, it's so simple.
    When I met you, you were carrying... yet you say this?
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Having a gun sometimes instills people with a false sense of security and emboldens them to take chances and do things that they might not do normally.

I am pretty sure that George Zimmerman would never have got out of his vehicle if he had not been carrying. If he takes the stand, I hope prosecutors ask him that question.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I actually did have a good conversation with a local when I went to Cancun; got there days after Theater shooting, so they were aware of Denver CO and what happened. I asked him if stuff like that ever happened there and he said "no, because guns are illegal here" Claimed he never saw guns other than officers's.
    Maybe that is the case in Cancun and he actually believes the propaganda but that is not the case in the rest of Mexico.

A friend of mine from Monterrey said until a few years ago it was very peaceful there and they never had the cartel violence but now it is rampant and you can see the cartels driving through the city with guns very visible, in many cases better armed than the army or police. When he lived in Austin he went back to Monterrey often (his mother was ill) and since she passed away he moved back to Chicago and pretty much only goes back to Mexico for Christmas and even then it spooks him. Another friend in Austin rarely goes back to Mexico and her parents live in Mexico City but her father is a Consular official (she was born in Denver when her father was at the consulate here) and they visit her in Austin rather than her coming back because of the threat that government officials at any level have and that their children are targets for kidnapping. Another friend in Austin has done a lot of motorcycle trips into Mexico for work (he is a photographer) and even he is a bit more "spooked" by some of the things happening there. It used to be mainly in the border states but it is even getting into the interior which he used to feel relatively safe in.

The guy in the video was a moron.....

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    When I met you, you were carrying... yet you say this?

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    +1
    Sarcasm + text = fail
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Senior Member Moderator

No harm, no foul. Sarcasm is difficult to convey in writing, especially if you don't know the person well enough to interpret it as such. Aaron is as pro-gun as they get, as long as they're not pointed at him.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Sarcasm + text = fail
    Maybe we need this.
    http://glennmcanally.com/sarcastic/

I'm pretty supportive of weapon ownership I'd say. I want to build a bunker on top of my house, get a stamp, and mount a fully auto 50 cal in it. For no other reason than so people think I'm fucking psycho.

Senior Member Moderator

I'm pretty supportive of weapon ownership I'd say. I want to build a bunker on top of my house, get a stamp, and mount a fully auto 50 cal in it. For no other reason than so people think I'm fucking psycho.
    You don't need to go through all that trouble, your insanity is already known and well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Maybe that is the case in Cancun and he actually believes the propaganda but that is not the case in the rest of Mexico.

A friend of mine from Monterrey said until a few years ago it was very peaceful there and they never had the cartel violence but now it is rampant and you can see the cartels driving through the city with guns very visible, in many cases better armed than the army or police. When he lived in Austin he went back to Monterrey often (his mother was ill) and since she passed away he moved back to Chicago and pretty much only goes back to Mexico for Christmas and even then it spooks him. Another friend in Austin rarely goes back to Mexico and her parents live in Mexico City but her father is a Consular official (she was born in Denver when her father was at the consulate here) and they visit her in Austin rather than her coming back because of the threat that government officials at any level have and that their children are targets for kidnapping. Another friend in Austin has done a lot of motorcycle trips into Mexico for work (he is a photographer) and even he is a bit more "spooked" by some of the things happening there. It used to be mainly in the border states but it is even getting into the interior which he used to feel relatively safe in.

The guy in the video was a moron.....
    Very true, but I do wonder if this is more based that Mexico is a poor country so the organized crime is out of hand in those areas. I've been to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen, obviously the richer part of Mexico because of tourism, and we stayed out in the town till like 3am and never once felt threatened. Just thinking this crime is all based on the drug issues they have there and no so much on their gun ban. So ok, maybe Mexico was a bad example.....

And yes I knew Aaron was being sarcastic too, but I wanted to twist it around on how it would make his job better But hey if you want to support crazy fools armed as much you, then you will probably get shot as a cop before a average person like me does...go figure! and I say crazy fools, because I do believe their are many responsible gun owners...unfortunately it only takes a few bad fools to put out the bad image.

To the people that posted on the CC class, I appreciate the info and makes me feel better that there are people that took this right serious and understand a gun should be used as a last resort and not the first.
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Jul 9th, 2013 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

And yes I knew Aaron was being sarcastic too, but I wanted to twist it around on how it would make his job better But hey if you want to support crazy fools armed as much you, then you will probably get shot as a cop before a average person like me does...go figure! and I say crazy fools, because I do believe their are many responsible gun owners...unfortunately it only takes a few bad fools to put out the bad image.
    Have you asked Aaron how many times while on duty he has had a gun pointed at him by a CC holder? I haven't either, but I'm guessing if it happened he wouldn't be all for law abiding citizens carrying if he did encounter those issues

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Have you asked Aaron how many times while on duty he has had a gun pointed at him by a CC holder? I haven't either, but I'm guessing if it happened he wouldn't be all for law abiding citizens carrying if he did encounter those issues
    Aaron was talking about a full ban ban when he was being sarcastic...sheesh read the entire thread

Last edited by bulldog; Wed Jul 10th, 2013 at 10:07 AM.

I always find the gun debates interesting. My take is that guns are unsafe in the hands of a lot of different people. I've worked with plenty of Police Officers, Agents, and Military Soldier who should have never had the opportunity to be given that amount of responsibility. I've also had friends with permits who constitute their time playing video games as some form of training. No amount of training, classes, or practice matters. It's all about the persons ability to assess situations and know that a gun is the complete last resort.

What I find even more interesting is the fact that every day, at every moment, there are completely unsafe and unqualified people driving their deadly weapon. Vehicles are responsible for more deaths than guns, yet our state is content on making people take one (1) low-intelligence driving test and deeming them responsible. Yet nothing is being done about this. How many posts have been of recent deaths from vehicles? - Quite a few! I don't remember the last time someone posted on here of a death by gun. I'm a fan of imposing vehicle safety laws that require yearly written and practical tests.
    Current bike: 2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure (63k miles)
    Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 BMW F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2007 GSXR 750 / 2004 CRF450 Sumo / Yamaha Secca II

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Never, and best I can remember I've only contacted two people who were permit holders and carrying.

Never, and best I can remember I've only contacted two people who were permit holders and carrying.
    How many people have you had contact with that were just open carry?