Thread: i think one of our members got injured at PP hill climb today, HCR

i think one of our members got injured at PP hill climb today, HCR

i saw a disturbing picture on another site today and it was #250 with the flouresent orange leathers
    they spoke of a compound fracture of the femur
    can somebody please post up progress on his condition if they get any info?
    this man has always been very easy to approach and happy to help me with my riding technique(or lack of)- he is just a great person in general

i really hope i am mistaken with this info but, i know that bike and that racing suit
    damnit, get better Mike, i send positive thoughts your way
    Last edited by gsxridiot; Fri Jul 5th, 2013 at 04:38 AM.

Re: i think one of our members got injured at PP hill climb today, HCR

It was mike applehans, greg said he's doing well and undergoing surgeries for injuries. Check into the MRA forums for updates.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Bummer, recover and get well soon Mike....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Sorry to hear this. Get healed completely, Mike.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

:/

Get well soon! Did another bike go down as well? I saw CBR that looked like it caught fire, Morena was the name on the windscreen.

EDIT:

Yup, CBR1000RR Alex Moreno as well. Is he ok too?
    Last edited by TransNone13; Fri Jul 5th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I had a chance to visit Mike in the hospital the other day. Despite his injuries, he's in reasonably good spirits. He's had a few surgeries already. I'll confirm that he did break his femur along with an elbow, a finger and his heel. It's going to be a rough period of recovery, but the long term looks really good. Roberta (his wife) has been spending a whole bunch of time there and appears to be doing well.

The bike is in bad shape, but Mike says he wanted a new one anyways, so that's going to work out for him.

There are regular updates on the MRA as well as on Glenn (Gecco) and Mike's FB pages. Check there for more info.

Scott

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Glad that he'll be on the mend soon. Thanks for the update Scott.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Hey guys that was me. It was a rather biggish crash for sure. Simply put I tucked the front. A combination of several factors but it was mainly I was going faster then practice, it was colder then last year, the road was slightly slippery from the rain the day before. In my opinion without watching the videos of it, I missed my turn in point marker. When I did utilize the front brakes I was going faster and deeper into then I should have for my skill level. I may have braked to hard on the paint stripes causing the sudden attraction to the ground.
    end result of my mistake are in no particular order....
    Compound fracture of left femur above the knee, torn tendons left ring finger, right feel is broke in several places,right elbow joint is shattered and right wrist is fractured below the elbow.
    i have been told in at least in one of the videos you can hear me tell the guy my leg is broke. When I sat up to position myself to stand up my knee felt like chunky jello, I knew I was not walking to the ambulance. The flight nurses were awesome, while talking to them about the crash and getting my personal info. One of the asked me how long I was out for, I said I didn't hit my head that hard. She laughed and said from the pain, I then said is not real bad. She looked at the other nurse and back at me and said you know your femur is sticking out through your skin? I replied please cover my eyes I don't want to see that

Thanks for the well wishes from everyone. It's going to take time and effort to recover from this I have both
    Mike Applehans

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    Hey guys that was me. It was a rather biggish crash for sure. Simply put I tucked the front. A combination of several factors but it was mainly I was going faster then practice, it was colder then last year, the road was slightly slippery from the rain the day before. In my opinion without watching the videos of it, I missed my turn in point marker. When I did utilize the front brakes I was going faster and deeper into then I should have for my skill level. I may have braked to hard on the paint stripes causing the sudden attraction to the ground.
    end result of my mistake are in no particular order....
    Compound fracture of left femur above the knee, torn tendons left ring finger, right feel is broke in several places,right elbow joint is shattered and right wrist is fractured below the elbow.
    i have been told in at least in one of the videos you can hear me tell the guy my leg is broke. When I sat up to position myself to stand up my knee felt like chunky jello, I knew I was not walking to the ambulance. The flight nurses were awesome, while talking to them about the crash and getting my personal info. One of the asked me how long I was out for, I said I didn't hit my head that hard. She laughed and said from the pain, I then said is not real bad. She looked at the other nurse and back at me and said you know your femur is sticking out through your skin? I replied please cover my eyes I don't want to see that

Thanks for the well wishes from everyone. It's going to take time and effort to recover from this I have both
    Mike Applehans
    It's good to hear from you everything is more or less all right, best wishes!

Glad to hear you're on the mend, my friend. Please, if you or Pooh need anything, please call me!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

saw it on the video linked on the mra forum, didn't look good. glad to hear you escaped the hospital early, good sign you are headed down that recoveryroad.

even you crashed , your still #1 class racer

Glad you're okay (relatively)! Hope you have a speedy and full recovery, Mike!

can someone post vid link
    Glad your ok and hope for a speedy recovery
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Great to hear from you Mike. Heal up and get back out there!
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by AOK303 View Post
    can someone post vid link
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=0B5Qr5wTZl0
    Aprilia RSV Mille R

I didn't want to be the first, there was also this one. I saw this first and it scared me more than the crash video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TNR...e_gdata_player