Thread: Pilot Road 3 question

Pilot Road 3 question

As I mentioned in another thread, I just replaced the Scorpion Trails on my Multi with Pilot Road 3's. I don't have a lot of miles on them yet, but in two days of riding on them, the one thing I notice more than anything else is that when I get them leaned over, it feels like it wants to keep leaning over.

With other tires (the Scorpions, and e.g. BT016's on another bike), it seems like when I got leaned over into a turn, I'd have to keep putting pressure on the inside bar to maintain the turn. Not a lot, but some pressure.

With the PR3's, they definitely don't need this, and in fact I find myself having to pressure the _outside_ bar (or pull the inside) a little bit to maintain a constant lean angle. They just feel like they want to lean in some more. I notice this more when I'm going a little slower (e.g. behind a car) - if I'm pushing hard and on the throttle in the turn, they seem more neutral.

Is this a normal thing? It just feels so different to other bike/tire combos I've ridden, I wanted to ask...

Re: Pilot Road 3 question

Yeah, they have a slightly steeper profile than most of the Pirellis and Metzelers. I'm guessing you'll adjust pretty quickly. I liked the turn in a lot more with them on my FZ1 than the original Bridgestones for exactly that reason. If it really bothers you, you can always take a little ride height(or possible raise the front) out of the rear to slow the steering back down.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Thanks Jim - good to get confirmation from someone else that this is how it's supposed to be!

Quote Originally Posted by gregr View Post
    Thanks Jim - good to get confirmation from someone else that this is how it's supposed to be!
    Even if it wasn't how it was supposed to be as long as you like them they're good to go (Unless some catastrophic failure was going to occur due to a rare batch!?!?), I love mine.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

So Jim, just to clarify...what I'm experiencing is that when the bike is leaned over, it requires no pressure on the bars to maintain the turn. So it requires explicit input to bring the bike back up. As opposed to the other tires, where the bike always wanted to stand back up to some extent, and required bar pressure to maintain a turn.

Sort of seems weird that this much of a change would be from just tires, with the same steering geometry.

Maybe I'm over thinking all this - but 500 miles in, and it still feels odd when riding it.

Yeah, tire profile will make a huge difference. I about went off the inside of several corners when I switched from the original Bridgestones to the PR2s.

You may want to play with front pressure a bit to play with it. It's safe to go up as high as 42 psi, and down to maybe 32. Be aware that tire wear will be faster the lower you go.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Thanks - I'll play around with the pressure!

On the Hyper I'm running 37 front, 35 rear on my PR3s.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    On the Hyper I'm running 37 front, 35 rear on my PR3s.
    Thanks. Did you happen to notice similar behavior to what I was talking about when you first put them on?

i can get the backend to slip out easier than i could on the previous PP2cts and Corsa IIIs!!!

as for what you're experiencing... i'm not sure. i'll look more into it the next time i'm on her. they're similar but different bikes....
    Last edited by Matty; Mon Jul 15th, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).