Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones for Helmet... recommendations and sources?

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Headphones for Helmet... recommendations and sources?

Looking for recommendations for helmet based headphones I can wire into the helmet "permanently" ...

I have been using ear buds - but would like a more "in place" option that don't wiggle out of my ears like a Centaurian Slug.
    I don't want to spend the money on a chatterbox at this time - mainly because I don't give a shit if I miss a call when I'm on my motorcycle because, well, I'm on my motorcycle dammit! I just want to listen to music.

I've found these on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOKKIA-H10-B...647#vi-content
    But have no idea of the quality or such in a helmet.
    I'd also prefer a local source for something like this if there is one (based on the recommendations obviously).

Thanks in advance for the input.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Re: Headphones for Helmet... recommendations and sources?

I've never used speakers in my helmets, but have you tried sport earphones that wrap around the ear? These are the ones I use and they stay in place really well, depending on the helmet I'm wearing. If I'm using a Suomy, they stay in place perfectly. Shoei pulls them a bit when donning, so I have to reach into the helmet and adjust them. AGV does a bit better than Shoei, but not as good as Suomy. I bought them at Target for around $25

I've never tried them in my helmet, but these are the only headphones I ever found that didn't fall out of my ears. I work out pretty hardcore and they always stay in because of their patented lock system. Plus they are waterproof; for those rainy rides. May be worth checking out! http://monsterproducts.com/headphones/isport/

P.S. I found them way cheaper on Ebay
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I got tired of the wires and talked to a few people with Bluetooth headsets.
    The J&M got the best reviews for sound and volume.

I have an older version of this:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....=HS-WLS465-UNV

Sound is awesome, and I can hear it fine over the wind and my earplugs. I use it with my GPS and/or phone for music and route directions. Doesn't have enough range to talk to other riders, but I wasn't interested in that anyhow.

The only style earbuds I found that sound good AND stay in my ear are these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

Nothing sticks out of your ear to catch on the helmet, other than the cord. And they come with multiple foam plugs so you can get a good tight seal. They also block pretty much all the outside noise, just like ear plugs.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I know you want the helmet kind, but I've used the Skullcandy 50/50 earbuds and have never had them fall out. I would always wear earplugs anyway, so helmet speakers wouldn't work for me unless they were REALLY loud. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

clicky

Last edited by Mother Goose; Wed Jul 10th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I know you want the helmet kind, but I've used the Skullcandy 50/50 earbuds and have never had them fall out. I would always wear earplugs anyway, so helmet speakers wouldn't work for me unless they were REALLY loud. They have a lifetime warranty as well.
    I wear EAR yellow foam ear plugs and can hear the tunes just fine... well into triple digits anyhow.
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I've never tried them in my helmet, but these are the only headphones I ever found that didn't fall out of my ears. I work out pretty hardcore and they always stay in because of their patented lock system. Plus they are waterproof; for those rainy rides. May be worth checking out! http://monsterproducts.com/headphones/isport/

P.S. I found them way cheaper on Ebay
    I started looking at those, but didn't want to drop the $$$ and be disappointed if they slipped out when I was putting my helmet on. Have you used them riding? How's the sound quality? The ones I listed above are decent, but if I can find a set that will stay in regardless of the helmet I'm using, I'd love to pick them up.

My helmets fit tight enough that anything around or behind my ears starts to annoy me after an hour or so.

Maybe I just gots too big of an ear.. LOL!!!
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    I started looking at those, but didn't want to drop the $$$ and be disappointed if they slipped out when I was putting my helmet on. Have you used them riding? How's the sound quality? The ones I listed above are decent, but if I can find a set that will stay in regardless of the helmet I'm using, I'd love to pick them up.
    I've never used them in my helmet simply because I always have used earplugs; although weird now that I think about it that I haven't tried them. I love them and it takes a few times to figure out which ear attachment to use (comes with like 4 different sizes), but when you get that figured out they do stay in. They even will stay in during stuff like jumping jacks. I was plague for years with not able to find a pair that stayed in till I got these. Sound quality is great; really they are same company that makes Dre Beats so I bet they are similar.

Check out ebay, I got the Isport Immersion and look like you can get those for about $50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-iSpo...item3cd273123a

Althiough I see there is a Isport Strive which is only about $42(seems like these were made for helmets) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-iSpo...item20d4cc1190

I have 2 different headsets that I use for the 2 helmets I ride with. One is a SENA SMH5, it is a full on bluetooth and you can get the entire unit for $90 or so online. If you go with teh bluetooth then you can have wireless headsets, take your calls (I know you said you didnt care about that) but also your cell phone will tell you turn by turn nav directions if you have that on your cell. For $90 its a creat deal and the sound is great!

This is the Sena and its size:

Otherwise, there is a set I bought off amazon for $57 shipped for a pair of interphone headsets, the bass response is excellent and will allow the same things as the SENA just not as neat and tidy but bluetooth's great for listening to music and same deal no wires! Rather than buying headphones and permanantly installing them and then having the wires dangling just check amazon for a cheapy bluetooth set. This one below like I said $57 shipped for the pair, but if you only need one unit I'd imagine you can find some of these types on Amazon as a single unit.

2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Senior Member Moderator

I have the Scala G9 and can hear the music well enough whilst wearing ear plugs. One of the nice aspects of the system is that you can adjust the Automatic Gain Control to compensate for wind noise.

I tried all sorts of helmet speaker and cheap earbud solutions until I just went and bought some Etymotic ER-6i earbuds (which has been discontinued). I did switch out the silicone tips for foam tips and found them more comfortable and wind noise reducing, I never really liked the silicone tips anyway. When Etymotic switch the style of foam tips I found a Comply foam tip that would work. At work I use the JVC Marshmallow earbuds which are cheap ($15.00 for the base model or $20.00 for the one with a mic and volume controls) and have various sizes of Comply foam tips available.

i have klipschs or something that cnet recommended. i read in the review to wear them switched, so the right bud in the left ear. they sound pretty good, block LOTS of noise, and fit perfect with a helmet on... unless its super hot out and im sweating profusely, then it slides out a little in my right ear and makes me scream inside my helmet.

My issue with regular earbuds is that they always got pulled out when I pulled my helmet on. I went with those Sony ones because they kept the speaker in my ear for the most part, but if those Monsters that Bulldog has work better, then I'm picking up a set.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    My issue with regular earbuds is that they always got pulled out when I pulled my helmet on. I went with those Sony ones because they kept the speaker in my ear for the most part, but if those Monsters that Bulldog has work better, then I'm picking up a set.
    If you make it out to PPIR next weekend, I'll have my 50/50s with me, you can try them on and see if they pop out. I've never had it happen with these.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

If you make it out to PPIR next weekend, I'll have my 50/50s with me, you can try them on and see if they pop out. I've never had it happen with these.
    Well you told me that on the other ones you recommend and they worked in my helmet, but it was a game of getting them in there to stay when helmet was put on; if I got past that then they stayed. Think you just have giant ears Wicky and a grape would stay in those suckers!

Like I said above Monster Cable makes Dre Beats! Even now Dr Dre did not renew his contract with them, so they are totally Monster Cable now. People pay more for the name, but I bet they are similar construction...well except Isports are waterproof and they claim you can even put them in washing machine. I sweat on mine a lot and still work, so this is something that may be good for motorcycle riders with rain and the sweat of a helmet; headphone will burn out with moisture as I have burned out a few sets at gym that way.

Well you told me that on the other ones you recommend and they worked in my helmet, but it was a game of getting them in there to stay when helmet was put on; if I got past that then they stayed. Think you just have giant ears Wicky and a grape would stay in those suckers!
    I think you're onto something!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

I think you're onto something!
    Well you know what they say with guys with big ears!

Well you know what they say with guys with big ears!
    Yeah, we have HUGE.......... ear plugs.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

Yeah, we have to use the larger squishy things on the headphones.
    I was thinking hung like a horse, but that works too

I was thinking hung like a horse, but that works too
    I bet you were.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

I bet you were.
    You know me and my man love

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    I have 2 different headsets that I use for the 2 helmets I ride with. One is a SENA SMH5, it is a full on bluetooth and you can get the entire unit for $90 or so online. If you go with teh bluetooth then you can have wireless headsets, take your calls (I know you said you didnt care about that) but also your cell phone will tell you turn by turn nav directions if you have that on your cell. For $90 its a creat deal and the sound is great!

This is the Sena and its size:
    Well after some research, cross checking,... examination of various bluetooth based headphone options out there, as well as some cabled ones, and some additional online research...
    I decided to pull the trigger on the SMH5 unit plus the large speaker alternative. I doubt I'll ever use the navigation mode... and I likely will refrain from ever using the phone unless it's like one of three to five people... but for the price comparative to the headphones only, given the review and such I've read online, comparatively when adapted to a helmet use... this seems like a better overall investment.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

A bit late, but I have the Chatterbox xbi2. I can answer calls, but I don't really want to talk to anyone, so I don't . It is capable of talking to two other riders that have the same system. I stream my music through it without the nuisance of wires.

The newer xbi2Hplus can communicate with up to 16 users!
    Last edited by Sully; Thu Jul 11th, 2013 at 10:59 AM.