Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 miles on the r1

500 miles on the r1

Im planning a trip this weekend to grand junction and back on my r1. Anticipating some pretty sore wrists when i get there. This will be the longest distance I have taken her. Any tips from the other super sport riders before i go?
    Last edited by cbirchem0724; Mon Jul 22nd, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

Re: 500 miles on the r1

I've heard that holding your body up with your core rather than putting more weight on your wrists helps.
    Doesn't sound like too bad of a distance I think its about 3 hours from Denver. I rode to Dillon and back which was my longest freeway ride, I only started to get a sore neck in which case you can tuck to let it rest.

My only other tip is, don't run out of gas

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    My only other tip is, don't run out of gas
    That’s the one thing i hate about the r1.. no fuel gauge
    Last edited by cbirchem0724; Mon Jul 22nd, 2013 at 11:11 AM.

Rode the GSXR to Yellowstone and back a couple months ago. About 550miles each way going the boring/fast way.

Oh and I found that all highway is boring/not fun. If you can mix up your trip with canyon roads, will make the trip more enjoyable.

I've been to grand junction maybe once or twice so I don't know how spread out the cities are, but for fuel take a conservative amount and after you hit that amount, fill up at the next gas station. I was doing 120miles then filling up, Usually 2 gallons went in, but sometimes more/less. Pay attention to road signs to see how far the next city is and stuff.

As GMR said, don't hold yourself up with your wrists. Use your core, lean on the tank, sit straight up if needed.

With it being only like 3 hrs away, probably don't need to worry about a spare visor but it can't hurt to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    That’s the one thing i hate about the r1.. no fuel gauge

no fuel gauge...man that sucks....

if you have any short falls....take care of them before hand...

right now i wont do a long ride until i get me chain replace. I have tight and loose sections. time for a replacement.

Chang Bang, cool man you rode to Yellowstone and back...it might be boring but your were on a sport bike and that is always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    no fuel gauge...man that sucks.....
    Yeah when i first bought the bike i thought maybe i needed to push something on the dash to be able to see it. but learned shortly after that yamaha's only have a fuel low light that turns on about 20 or so miles before empty.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Check out Crampbusters, I have 2 different sizes, so if you want to borrow one for your trip, let me know.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

While this wont work for this weekend you can use your trip odometer as a fuel gauge. Reset to 0 everytime you fill up and calculate your gas mileage. Do this for 5 or 6 tanks to get an average. Now for easy math I will say you get 40 mpg and have a 4 gallon tank. after 40 mile you have 3/4, after 80 you have 1/2, after 120 you have 1/4 and after 160 you are pushing

In May I did the devil's canyon ride (1900 miles in 3 days) on my R1. Get one of these, not perfect but it sure helps and it's pretty inexpensive http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html . Also a tip, go to sports authority or whatever sports store and get some bicycle shorts with the padding. That also helps. It's the little things sometimes that make a longer trip more enjoyable.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

you guys must be hauling some SERIOUS ass to get from denver to grand junction in 3 hrs hahaha

X2 on the bicycle shorts

I only did two long trips on my R1. Definately not the bike I would want to take for that. After 400 miles I just wanted off the bike and began fantasising about the hotel room and the dirty, dirty things I would do to that bed! (aka lay down).

There's really not much you can add to make a super sport super comfortable... other then trade it in for a FZ1
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Gold Member

Strap a backpack to the tank. Or a tank bag. You can lay on it. Also do a somewhat tall bag on he seat. You can lean on it. I rode my CBR from the springs to reno nv four times. 1200 miles one way. I would fill up at every 100 miles for safety. Plan your fuel stops and make sure you get tire plugs. Last thing you want is a flat tire 3 hours from home. Just try to think of all worst case scenarios and plan for them. Cell service on parts of that trip can be sketchy. Also before you haul ass remember some stretches out there dont have much in the of medical services. Be safe bro and have a nice ride.

Don't know if the R1 has a odometer or not, but every time you fill up you can reset the odometer to gauge your distance before fill ups. Reset the odometer and run it until the light turns on. That should give you an idea of how far you can go per tank mileage wise. Highway you'll get a little more.

Not sure if you knew this already but it really helps out. It's a habit for a lot of riders, with and without a fuel gauge
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I only did two long trips on my R1. Definately not the bike I would want to take for that. After 400 miles I just wanted off the bike and began fantasising about the hotel room and the dirty, dirty things I would do to that bed! (aka lay down).
    Try it with a tank bag and a passenger like I did a couple years ago.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    you guys must be hauling some SERIOUS ass to get from denver to grand junction in 3 hrs hahaha
    I made it in a honda CRV in 3.5 hours and i stopped for lunch.
    Last edited by cbirchem0724; Tue Jul 23rd, 2013 at 09:00 AM.

My main concern is the tunnel construction on i-70. I would hate to get stuck in stop and go traffic headed up the mountain

Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    My main concern is the tunnel construction on i-70. I would hate to get stuck in stop and go traffic headed up the mountain

Went through the tunnel last week going east sucked ass pretty much was stop and go from georgetown until past Idaho springs tunnel construction this was a Sunday afternoon . East tunnel completely closed and routed around west bound looked ok.

Ouch no fuel guage on an R1? Isn't that a pretty expensive bike in itself? I'd think at least on the digital screen there would be some setting to see it. As for mileage like said before reset it everytime you fill up. I reset mine at every fill up and get 60mpg consistently and my light starts to blink around 190-200 or so before I need to start looking for a stop.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    Ouch no fuel guage on an R1? Isn't that a pretty expensive bike in itself? I'd think at least on the digital screen there would be some setting to see it. As for mileage like said before reset it everytime you fill up. I reset mine at every fill up and get 60mpg consistently and my light starts to blink around 190-200 or so before I need to start looking for a stop.
    Yeah it's a yamaha thing I guess.. I don't think the r6 has one either :/

Yeah it's weird. My old '07 FZ1 had a gauge but not the SS bikes. It doesn't faze me none. I know I can easily get close to 200 miles on a tank of easy highway riding, and around 175 in the city. Now balls out is a different story and that's about 155.......... just need to know your bike. I reset my trip meter 100% of the time when I fill up.
    2006 R1 "Raven"

My SV650 doesnt have one but its from 2005, but it has the blinking orange light. Does the R1 and R6 at least have that? I'd imagine it would have to. I am not familiar with the higher end bikes but I do like the feul gauge meter or LED screen type thing that tells, would be a nice feature to have for those long rides. I guess travelling 500 miles you'd have to hope you're not in an area where its 30 miles for the nearest station when the light goes on.
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

I would think if the bike doesn't have a gas gauge, they would at least have a warning light.

I don't think its really a big deal, just be smart when you are traveling long distances and don't know when the next gas station is....

Course this trip is 500 miles round trip, so getting there should be 2 or 3 stops and getting back should be around the same assuming hes starting in denver. And assuming he takes the same way back, he can adjust to how plentiful gas stations are in his route.

It has a warning light, just no gauge that will show half a tank and such.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825