Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: screw the four strokes.

Gold Member

screw the four strokes.

Well went out with some friend today. First REAL dirt ride in about six years. Just been cruising around my place. Getting familiar with dirt again. Went with a few friends that are really into the desert racing. They couldn't leave me behind with their 450s. I forgot how much fun it is to be all kinds of out of control railing the power ban.

Re: screw the four strokes.

I love my 2t

The wildest bike that I have ridden was a race prepped KX500 (this was early 90's) and it didn't have a throttle, it was an on/off switch. That much power on that light of a bike (and I was much lighter at the time) was just instant on power.

Gold Member

Man have you guys seen the cr500 blocks being put into the newer frames? I want to ride one of those so bad.

Yeah that desert riding looks fun. And if you do biff , bet the sand is forgiving.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    Yeah that desert riding looks fun. And if you do biff , bet the sand is forgiving.
    The sand isn't bad but the rocks hiding in it suck. Here you can go from pure sand to pure rock in a quarter mile. We also have a lot of clay that turns into a hard pack that makes blacktop look soft. So you really have to be an all around rider.
    Last edited by #1Townie; Sun Jul 28th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Udb...e_gdata_player

Here is a good example of how things change. This out by the Carson river. The sand hill he climbs we call horsepower hill. And no this is not my video in don't even know the guy.

so you don't like the four strokes at all or you just think they're overrated? i do hear they are easier to maintain which is a huge + to me.
    I told my friend who races (did until he went to college and got a real job) motocross that he should get a streetbike and i'll get a dirtbike and we'll ride together. I'm not gonna hold him to getting a streetbike but I'm gonna get dirt. He suggested four strokes, so that's what I've been looking at

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

I've never riddin dirt many folks have told me to do it as it will help my riding a bunch. I've riddin my old bosses yz250 2t around the shop for a few weeks that was fun as hell for sure. Funny at first I couln't find the pegs and it felt like I was on a high horse I had no control over. Gears are crazy short and the front came off the ground every time I'd shift. Should get one. Not sure If I should get sumo though instead.

I definitely will. It's a slippery slope though. My buddy says we can load our bikes into his truck to go to the track. But for work I should have a truck, not to mention I could have it to drive bikes around, get a snowmobile..but then I need a place to park it. And if I have a truck to haul around a dirt bike, then why not get a street track bike...

What year do the four strokes get lighter? I was asking my friend what he thought about this YZ400f for $1000 he says they were some of the first 4 strokers and are finicky and heavy, so what year do bikes get lighter/better? He's saying 2004, sound about right or does it vary by make? Really trying to spend as little as I can

Your getting a truck from work or for it to work you should have a truck?? lol
    Love having a truck!! And yes you need a track bike too lol!!! Riding is a gateway drug. I went from street to td's to racing.Should come with a warning label when ya buy the bike lol.

Gold Member

It really depends on brand. I love my two stroke and it will keep up just fine with four. If I bought a 450 it wouldnt be older than 07. While up front it seems cheaper to maintain a four stroke long run its not. Yes top end goes out on two strokes but if you keep up on it its not that bad. Better than the valves on the four strokes. Both bikes have their ups and downs and truly depends on what kind of rising you want to do.

How long we talking about on tear downs for both 3+ riding seasons?

Plus what year 2t would you look at?
    I loved that yz250 it was an 01 I think

^I should have a truck for work, but I've had one in the past and didn't like having two vehicles to deal with and I'm not getting rid of a car.

After reading around, I think I'm going to go with a 450. I remember starting on a 250 ninja because people say you learn better. And it's more maneuverable, but you get used to maneuverability/flickability, but if anything you get fed up with a bike thats too slow. When I bought my R6, I thought I'd keep the 250 to have a small, light bike to ride around canyons but once you go bigger going back to slower really sucks IMO. I'm sure I can ride my R6 just as well as I could ride the Ninja even though it is heavier and taller.

I really don't know what I'm getting into, but I'm excited. I always wanted a dirtbike when I was young since we lived in the country but parents wouldn't allow it. Now I have years of dirtbike history to catch up on.
    Plus I don't know dick about street OR dirtbikes. It might be rough, but I hope I learn a little more as time goes on
    Last edited by GMR; Sun Aug 25th, 2013 at 03:06 PM.

Ah ok. Right on yeah I'm still learning about which one to get thinking I may get a better deal one a 250 2 stroke as so many seem to run the 4 stroke now, but I'll get a newer race bike first then get a dirty bike or a sumo. I need to be alot more confident when things start sliding around don't care to much about jumps just want to my riding to better/faster on the pavement.

I didn't even think you knew how to ride a motorcycle townie!

The 2 vs 4 stroke debate could go on forever and ever, but it depends what you're looking for. 4 strokes are more efficient and better for the environment, and they will definitely outlast a 2-stroke. But in terms of specific output and power per weight, the 2-stroke can't be beat. Not to mention they are a lot of fun.

It's been a long-time dream of mine to take a modern super-sport chassis, and make a streetfighter with a 3-4 cylinder, 750-1000cc 2-stroke. As much fun as it'd be, and as much as I'd love to do it, I'm just not sure where I'd find the motor I'm looking for, and have it last 20k-30k miles. I'd also want fuel injection and water cooling. Probably won't happen at least no time soon.

Best dirtbike I ever owned KTM 525 exc, 4 stroke.
    Funnest dirtbike I ever owned KTM 300 exc, 2 stroke.

Figure out what you want out of your bike, then pick the one that best suits your needs.

Easy to ride,well performing and something I won't out grow for several seasons would be the first few on my list.

Gold Member

What bueller said. To be honest dont let size fool you. My cr250 hangs just fine. Sure when we hit upon road the 450 can walk but on single track that big bike gets dusted. A four stroke will be a little more forgiving throttle wise but to be honest there is very few better feeling than railing in then power band of a two stroke. I just bought a 04 cr 250 and rebuilt the top end for about 300 bucks. Doing the valves on a four stroke will be much much more. Maintenance on two strokes really isn't much. No oil changes. Just gear oil. New spark plug every now and then depending on how much you ride. Besides that just don't over rev too much and you are good. And yes Aaron I know how to ride. Been on two wheels for as long as I can remember. From a small town in the desert. You ever want to ride real trails come out here to nv and I will show you some amazing trails. But leave those street tires at home. You need knobs out here.

I've never paid attention to the dirt section until today, but seems like it's alive and well. Maybe we can have a track day sometime, or a road trip to the desert

Gold Member

Oh you guys that enjoy dirt would love. Also I'm only about 30 min from tahoe. Dont even get men started on how awesome it is to ride around that lake. Its truly amazing!! The the west I have some of the best sport bike riding in the world. To the east some of the best desert riding. I love this place!!

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    Oh you guys that enjoy dirt would love. Also I'm only about 30 min from tahoe. Dont even get men started on how awesome it is to ride around that lake. Its truly amazing!! The the west I have some of the best sport bike riding in the world. To the east some of the best desert riding. I love this place!!
    So what I got out of that is, I should ride my bike out and ski there and stay at your place

Gold Member

My place? No. But I would be happy to show you around.