Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counterfit cash on a sale

Counterfit cash on a sale

One of my students in Denver just sold his bike to a guy for $2900. Turns out only $800 of it was real, the rest (when he went to deposit it) was counterfeit. Feds are involved but it still sucks!

Watch out with cash. Make sure you check the bills or go to the bank with the guy to have them deposit it.

Re: Counterfit cash on a sale

That really sucks. FEDs don't take this lightly, not to mention you are looking at FEDERAL prison for the crime. I have seen Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary, I wouldn't want to spend a minute there let alone a couple years.

FYI - anyone trying to avoid this kind of thing, counterfeit bill markers can be found at most office supply stores.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

REALLY stupid on the part of the buyer. Does he think that somehow the state won't be able to track the VIN if he goes to register it? If your friend can identify him as the buyer, the Secret Service will make his life hell. Counterfeiting carries a mandatory minimum of 5 years, federal time (no early release!).
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I'm a professional money counter and can offer my services for 3% of the transaction.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Holy crap that sucks man!! I honestly did not even think to worry too much about that.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    REALLY stupid on the part of the buyer. Does he think that somehow the state won't be able to track the VIN if he goes to register it? If your friend can identify him as the buyer, the Secret Service will make his life hell. Counterfeiting carries a mandatory minimum of 5 years, federal time (no early release!).
    Exactly! What a idiot and now he will get a Federal offense...although you know he will claim he did not know it was counterfeit and probably get away with it...hopefully not.

Joker I assume your student said it looked pretty real? I've always heard the paper is the hardest to mimic and easiest to feel if it is fake.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I tell people that when they pay with cash, we will go to a teller window and have them hand the money to my bank directly for a deposit

Tell your student we need a trip to the Strip Club...those girls are usually high or drunk and it is dark so they won't know. Just kidding, I understand it is illegal

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Joker I assume your student said it looked pretty real? I've always heard the paper is the hardest to mimic and easiest to feel if it is fake.
    To get around the "feel", they bleach one dollar bills and re-print with one-hundred. Feels real, because it is, and even has the strip. You need to look closely, though. That strip on your one-hundred dollar bill may say one-dollar...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

He works with money all day and didn't see anything wrong with it. He might not have examined them each thoroughly but still.

I have only had one counterfeit $20 in my life and it looked pretty damn real too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    To get around the "feel", they bleach one dollar bills and re-print with one-hundred. Feels real, because it is, and even has the strip. You need to look closely, though. That strip on your one-hundred dollar bill may say one-dollar...
    Wow, that is a good idea..never thought of using real money to reprint on

$1 bills have the security strip? regardless, bleach a $5, turn it into $100 and you're on your way...

And you can look at the water marks...

And the ink they use on the front $100s are color changing. Thats pretty hard to duplicate.
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Wed Jul 31st, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by 3point5 View Post
    $1 bills have the security strip?
    Negative.

$1 bills have the security strip? regardless, bleach a $5, turn it into $100 and you're on your way...
    ...to being someone's girlfriend.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

WHOA!!! I never knew that. I always just checked that the strip was there, not what it said.
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

I assumed it was 1's because they are the lowest. Looks like it's 5's that get bleached if they're worried about the strip...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

How recently were the dollars used here made? Just curious. Current bills have an unreal amount of tricks to prevent successful forgery, most of which aren't well known - though in this case, they only had to get it past an inexperienced seller and not to the bank itself, where it was obviously caught.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Wait until the new $100 bills get here. Those things are going to be almost impossible to duplicate.

http://www.newmoney.gov/
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

I hadn't heard of that. I wonder if after they have been bleached the counterfeit markers still show it as real.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

I honestly thought counterfeit was almost completely solved with all the different things they have done to them. Guess where there is a will there is a way for some scum out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbie303 View Post
    Wait until the new $100 bills get here. Those things are going to be almost impossible to duplicate.

http://www.newmoney.gov/
    They said that when they put the current bills into play. Just like with everything else, they'll figure a way around.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I tell people that when they pay with cash, we will go to a teller window and have them hand the money to my bank directly for a deposit
    This sounds like the best option. Fill out the deposit slip and let the other party hand over the cash to the teller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    And you can look at the water marks...

And the ink they use on the front $100s are color changing. Thats pretty hard to duplicate.
    not as hard as you think every college in Colorado has a printer that could mimic it pretty well
    its why the schools have to monitor that printer, alot of bust were made 3 or 4 years ago cause they found out it could
    CU boulder was one school that caught someone doing it, and Denver has an issue with fake 20's when i worked kinda in a cash cage i would catch 10 to 20 a day
    a new way around the pen is if you mark it with a matched colored pen which you can buy its a novelty most if they see the mark dont remark it
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr