Thread: Back protector

Back protector

Alright so the only piece of equipment I'm missing in my track riding gear is a back protector. What should I be looking for size/fit wise? What kind of features should I be looking for? My Internet searchings haven't given me much info as to what to look for.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Nicole
    Street: 08 Suzuki SV650S
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*
    Track: 03 Yamaha R6

MRA corner worker

Re: Back protector

After riding with one for a while, I hate it, just because it's a pain in the ass. It's uncomfortable because of the waist strap, and it's one more thing I have to put on. If I were you, I'd buy a jacket that either has one, or has the pocket for one. Most of the top shelf racing jackets have the pocket that the same company's back protector will slide right in and snap up. That's what I'm hoping to do soon.

I ware this vest under my leathers, it's very comfy and doesn't move around like the belt type! Plus you also get some chest protection to boot. Sorry can't seem to post pic's to the site off a mobile device yet!?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

I have a back protector I am selling for a whole 70$ It is a Spidi. I just don't like the way it is under my suit, and my suit already comes with one so screw taking it out and wearing the Spidi.
    I'm 5'6 and it's a tad long on me but fits for the most part.
    2013 zx6r
    MRA Novice #407
    Race like a girl!

Icon makes some good chest protectors. I have the mens and my wife has the womens version. They are nice. The only complaint I have is that while I wear it, I seem to attract birds?! I have had 4 hit me square in the chest while I am wearing that damn thing. Go figure.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I tried a lot of the "off the shelf" back protectors and they were all too long for me.
    I tried the women's Alpinestars chest and back protector in mesh and didn't care for it as it was bulky and
    hard to wear under my 1pc suit. I finally purchased the Knox back protector. You can have someone measure your spine and find the correct size plates you'll need.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4156

I have the alpinestars one with just the waist belt and it works fine for me, no complaints. It fits well and doesn't move around. I also have a D30 back protector in one of my street jackets that is certified CE2, which theoretically is the same level of protection as my hard shell astars one, but I don't know that I'd trust it as much.

I use the Alpinestars one with waist belt and shoulder straps. I'd recommend one with shoulder straps to hold it in place when you put your leathers on.

I actually wear it on the street too just for the extra spine protection. It was annoying for the first week, but 3 years later I feel odd without it. It stays in place well and doesn't bother me at all

I have the forcefield pro sub 4 back protector. Fits well under my suit and doesn't move around once its on. It claims to be the best in absorbing force and is reusable for multiple impacts.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-...eld-pro-sub-4/

Most protectors have a sizing chart that you can use when looking for size. One thing I'd recommend is that if you're buying local, go to the store in your suit and try on the back protector. Back protectors can be different sizes/thicknesses and so you need to make sure you have room in your suit for it.

Otherwise I guess make sure it's at least CE lvl 2.

Good info. Probably should have also mentioned that I'd also like to start racing next year (pending finances) and I know the MRA requires them. Are there any special rules or a certain level of protection required?
    Nicole
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*

MRA corner worker

5.1 Rider Equipment

A. Full coverage helmet with straps, shell, liner and shield in good, undamaged
    condition. Helmet must have a label of compliance to either Snell Foundation
    specifications, DOT FMVSS 218, or any FIM certification with a date of
    manufacture no earlier than 5 years prior to the first MRA event of the season.

B. No aftermarket helmet strap quick releases will be allowed.

C. Damaged helmets must have manufacturer’s recertification for approval.

D. Leather footwear (boots) at least 8” in height and in good condition.

E. Gloves with leather protecting the palms and fingers.

F. One piece leather or aramid (Kevlar) race suit or pants and jacket of leather or
    aramid material (Kevlar) in good condition with padding on the knees, elbows and
    shoulders. Separate pants and jackets must be joined with zipper(s) to create the
    equivalent of a one piece suit. . Taping pants and jackets together is not allowed.

G. Back protectors are required and must be of commercial design and
    manufacture. No homemade back protectors. Back protector MUST be worn at
    all times when on the track

H. No sparking materials may be worn by the rider.

I. The rider’s number needs to be located on two sides of the helmet.

G. Back protectors are required and must be of commercial design and manufacture. No homemade back protectors. Back protector MUST be worn at

the foam pads included with most suits are not adequate.

Astars Bionic is a nice one ~$100 new and available in a small.

Okay so I checked out the Knox protector just to see how sizing works. My spine measures about 500mm and the two sizes around that we're 475 and 510. How long is too long or short? Clearly the 510 is closer but will it get uncomfortable at this point? I haven't had my current suit perfectly sized to me yet (it's pretty close as it is) so I'm not overly worried about too thick or anything. Doubt I could fit both a back and chest protector in my suit though.
    Nicole
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*

MRA corner worker

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    G. Back protectors are required and must be of commercial design and manufacture. No homemade back protectors. Back protector MUST be worn at

the foam pads included with most suits are not adequate.

Astars Bionic is a nice one ~$100 new and available in a small.

So basically as long as I buy "aftermarket" I should be good. Awesome.

Well sounds like I just need to shop around now and keep an eye on Craigslist. I've never measured my back I guess I wear a large xD
    Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Nicole
    08 Kawi Ninja 500 *SOLD*

MRA corner worker

I picked up the Knox track vest. Everything else I tried was either to bulky or moved around... Or both. I wish it moved more air but I don't notice it at all while I'm riding.