Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDITED: SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY August 4th AM - Route planning, Q&A, Sound Off

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Exclamation EDITED: SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY August 4th AM - Route planning, Q&A, Sound Off

EDIT: I can't do Saturday at all - my schedule just became a nightmare, eliminating the chance for anything substantial for ride time, so I'm proposing a SUNDAY morning ride. Same proposed route. Same proposed KSU.

So here it is: a little back looping, momentary city cut-through, but should be a descent level of tossing the bike over side to side.
    Times out to be around 3.5 hours of ride time, 130'ish miles start to end:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...=10&dg=feature

We'll meet at the 7-11 on Hwy 93 & Washington in Golden for a fuel top off, bathroom break, coffee refuel, whatever... KSU will be at 8:30 SHARP.
    If you're not there at 8:30, you'll have to catch up!

Please sound off if you plan on joining so we can get a feeler on the number of attendees.

If you have an alternative route - please post that so we can compare and converse and make a decision far enough in advance so as not to have confusion as to what the gameplan is.
    Last edited by Vance; Mon Jul 29th, 2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Can't do Saturday, changing it to Sunday
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Chocolate Thunder

Re: EDITED: SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY August 4th AM - Route planning, Q&A, Sound Off

In.....x2. One backed out.

I think Lyons is having an Ironman Biking race during your ride. You might want to detour that area.

Dang! I will be out for Sunday, maybe next time.
    2007 WRX 370 @whp on E85 Sold
    2002 Nissan Xterra SC
    2010 Yamaha R6

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I think Lyons is having an Ironman Biking race during your ride. You might want to detour that area.
    Thanks for the head's up Joker... I'll do a modification to the route and publish shortly.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

I'm new here (and to Colorado)... but I'm interested. More-so with the route because I expect to be completely left behind after KSU.

I'm out. Have fun.

Chocolate Thunder

Why do you expect to be left behind?????

Quote Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
    I'm new here (and to Colorado)... but I'm interested. More-so with the route because I expect to be completely left behind after KSU.
    Nobody gets left behind if they go KSU with us as a group, unless they break off intentionally.
    Run your own pace, don't push yourself, have fun --- and all will be well! As long as I'm playing sweeper - nobody will get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I'm out. Have fun.
    Sorry to hear that Nolan! There's always a next time!

Okay - here is the proposed revised route for Sunday. If everyone is good with it - let's give this a go. More mileage (173 miles - which means one stop for a top off will likely be a good idea (probably in Estes Park), and a longer time run (4.75 hours start in Golden to finish @ I-25 in Loveland)... but with WAY more twisties and only a minor cut-through Boulder along the way.

As far as I can tell looking at Google - there is no dirt on this route --- but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong so I can edit the map accordingly.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...=10&dg=feature

Acceptance? Rejection in favor of the original? Thoughts?

My computer isn't showing the purple route thing on google maps. Does enyone else have this problem?
    2005 Suzuki SV650s Blue (SOLD), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 636 Lime Green

Quote Originally Posted by UHATEIT View Post
    My computer isn't showing the purple route thing on google maps. Does enyone else have this problem?
    I've never run into that issue so far.
    Maybe your flash or java needs updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    Why do you expect to be left behind?????
    Simply because I am completely unfamiliar with the roads out here.

Vance, no sweeping will be necessary (for me, anyway). The last thing I want to do is hold anyone up.

I did. Revert back to google maps "classic"... routes aren't supported on the newest version.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Mmmmmm... Left Hand Canyon

Mayor - Don't worry about holding anyone up. As Vance noted above, no one gets left behind. Riders (or a rider) should wait at all turns until the last rider and sweeper have arrived. Sooo... ride your own ride and don't worry

Chocolate Thunder

Vance, you can sweep me up. Not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Mmmmmm... Left Hand Canyon

Mayor - Don't worry about holding anyone up. As Vance noted above, no one gets left behind. Riders (or a rider) should wait at all turns until the last rider and sweeper have arrived. Sooo... ride your own ride and don't worry
    Does this mean you're coming Sully???

Quote Originally Posted by theMayor View Post
    I did. Revert back to google maps "classic"... routes aren't supported on the newest version.
    My thing says on top that it is not supported by the new google maps so they reverted me back to classic, but even then its not showing

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Does this mean you're coming Sully???
    maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Drama2 View Post
    Vance, you can sweep me up. Not joking.
    Errr.... okay!

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    maybe
    TEASE!!!

Sully was sweeping behind me on grim's ride last month. I felt bad she had to go so slow when I am sure she wanted to ride faster! Good sweepers are awesome but have to be patient for the slow ones out there like myself

Sully was sweeping behind me on grim's ride last month. I felt bad she had to go so slow when I am sure she wanted to ride faster! Good sweepers are awesome but have to be patient for the slow ones out there like myself
    I'm not sure I'm a "good" Sweeper - but I do have the patience to bring up the end of line given I'm somewhere between "re-learning my handling" and "able to push it"... so Sweeper works really well for me.

Not positive, but I think the portion of your route from Lefthand Canyon back up to Peak2Peak(James Canyon/Overland Rd.) has long stretch of dirt road. Doubt I'll make the ride on Sunday, but I can go check that part of the route on Thurs. or Fri.

He's right about the dirt if you go up to Jamestown and back to P2P. 3-4 miles IIRC. You could just head on back to Boulder down Lefthand, and considering the up/down route you are planning, you'll be plenty tired by then.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Vance... If I can make it out I have no problem leading if you intend to sweep. Or vice versa.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by 06xbss View Post
    Not positive, but I think the portion of your route from Lefthand Canyon back up to Peak2Peak(James Canyon/Overland Rd.) has long stretch of dirt road. Doubt I'll make the ride on Sunday, but I can go check that part of the route on Thurs. or Fri.

BLOODY FRAKING HELL!!! It's the gorram 21st Century --- have these people never heard of asphalt? Concrete? WTMF???

UGH. Yes please! If you can confirm that, it would be greatly appreciated.
    If it is dirt - I guess I'll have to modify the route... AGAIN, perhaps along the lines of what FZRGuy suggests.

Matty - thanks in advance if viable! I'm definitely not in a confidence position yet with regaining my skillset to attempt to lead.