Thread: Title your dirt bike next year!

Title your dirt bike next year!

COHVCO and its partners succeeded in obtaining passage of legislation allowing the titling of off-highway vehicles in the state of Colorado. This will provide proof of ownership for dirt bikes, ATVs and snowmobiles, allow for better financing rates from dealers, and decrease risk of subsequent sales because any liens will be shown on the title. The issuance of a title will help prevent theft and also allow better tracking of stolen OHVs in the state. This legislation will become effective July 1, 2014. The fee for a title will be $8.50 and sales tax is waived for all vehicles owned on that date. Our next step is to obtain use of some county roads with the creation of a voluntary license plate on OHVs.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Re: Title your dirt bike next year!

Does this mean I can get a plate for my 125 mini?

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Pretty much anything with a 17 digit VIN
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

...and even with a plate, you still have to buy an OHV sticker for the trails. So now, not only do we get to pay registration fees every year, it costs us another fifty bucks per year to ride the trails!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

~$50 would be worth being able to ride my mini to the grocery store

~$50 would be worth being able to ride my mini to the grocery store
    We demand video of that!
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Thought that was if you didn't have a plate????
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Quote Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
    Thought that was if you didn't have a plate????
    I assume you referring to OHV stickers? That was changed a couple years ago, all vehicles using trails need an OHV sticker even if they are licensed. The sticker is not a substitute for a registration, it is to show you have paid your fee for use of the trails similar to a parks pass.

Regarding plates for OHVs, this will not make them street vehicles. As the law has not been written yet no one knows what the rules will be but it could be anywhere from fairly strict such as 'on unpaved roads only' to real loose like Wyoming where about the only rule is 'dont ride on the interstates'

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I assume you referring to OHV stickers? That was changed a couple years ago, all vehicles using trails need an OHV sticker even if they are licensed. The sticker is not a substitute for a registration, it is to show you have paid your fee for use of the trails similar to a parks pass.
    Huh....missed that one, guess its time to get an OHV sticker.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Still confused about the sticker requirement. Even after calling Colorado State Parks - Registration Unit. Could not get a definitive read on what is a TRAIL? I know most of Rampart (except for Rampart Range Rd) but I'm assuming on any road / singletrack marked with a Forest Service Rd # and smaller? That jeep roads like Rollins Pass, places with named roads even if they are dirt, are exceptions?
    Last edited by asp_125; Thu Aug 8th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Jeff, I believe designated trails as shown on MVUM (motor vehicle use map), which probably have not been completed for a number of OHV areas. As for the sticker, not such a bad $25 to spend as 100% of that money goes into the OHV Fund, which is used to maintain current trails and build new trails. There is some talk about building OHV parks, and $ for those will also come from the OHV Fund.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Thu Aug 8th, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

From the current COHVCO newsletter:

Without this fund we could not fend off the assualt mounted by anti-access groups regarding the condition of trails and reconstruction to standard. Not to mention the many projects the OHV Fund provides the money for such as barriers, new trails, bridges, etc.

The OHV Fund has raised $53 million in the 26 years the program has been around.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Long story short, my dad just purchased a new RZR XP 4 1000, but he doesn't want to get rid of his Ranger, so wonderful son that I am, I will be making room in my garage for it until he gets a little more space.

The Ranger has never been titled because it has always been on my dad's land in KS. I read through this topic, but I want to be sure I am following all the rules. As I understand it, I only need to register it with CO Parks & Wildlife for $25 and I am good to go. The reason I am unsure is because the KS dealer where my dad got the new RZR said it has to be titled to be allowed in CO parks. I don't know if he is referring to the OHV registration sticker or if he actually meant titled. Can anyone clarify?

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

You just need the sticker to ride on public land. Title is optional.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

As Longrider stated, no. Titling and plating are two different things. You still need all the street legal stuff (mirror, horn, etc) to be able to plate it. This may make the process slightly easier as you will already have the VIN info etc on the state title.
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

If this helps on the SxS/ATV topic, my wife works at the DMV. I posted this on my quad forum recently to make people aware of what has already changed and what's to come.........

Hi all, you may have heard that anyone buying an ATV from a dealer July 1, 2014 or later must now also title their machine. That's $7.20 and proof of ownership of your pride and joy (i.e. gets stolen), so that's not all bad. Well, Department of Motor Vehicle registration on your machine is not far down the road either. My wife works for the DMV and when they recently had their State meeting on Senate Bill 13-280 (must title your machine, mentioned above) it was told that registration is forthcoming. Meaning, annually, you will be buying your $25.25 OHV sticker AND your annual "vehicle-like" registration on your machine, regardless of how old your machine is. Just like our vehicles, the newer and bigger, the more expensive your registration fee. What is not yet resolved is whether or not we'll be able to get an actual plate and ride on the roads if we add a street legal kit. The word is, legislation didn't think of that part...only the money part...go figure. There are some obvious pros and cons to this deal, depending how you look at it, so whatdya think? On one hand, the cost sucks. On the other hand, to be able to ride on county roads to connect to trails and not worry about, that's a perk.

Here's SB 13-280 on the titling:
    SB 13-280

Some more good news, also as of July 1, 2014. Let's say you go buy a quad from a guy today then decide you want to title it. When you go down to the DMV to get your title, they are going to make you pay State sales tax on your purchase price. But if you bought your machine before July 1st, no sales tax.
    DW
    2001 GSX-R750 (Sold)
    2007 DRZ400E
    2009 Grizzly 700