Thread: Rider down

No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Rider down

Ugh, that's sickening. RIP rider.

sh!t. stories like this make you think that steering dampers are mandatory if you don't already have one. you can't help but think how likely it was that the rider didn't have one, and it was probably caused by steering. could have been rain or nasty drafts, but still. makes you think...

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Not riding above your skill-set should be mandatory, it's hard to imagine someone loosing control on straight road without doing something stupid. RIP and condolences to the family.

Another on I-70 & Peoria and yet another on highway 6 last night :-( RIP to all

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...suv?source=rss

http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...-in-I-70-crash
    Last edited by DemonRider; Sat Aug 10th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Steering damper? Really?
    You would like to see the government mandate another expense on us because someone can't ride?
    Sorry to hear but people are going to crash and die on the roads, just like cars crash and people die. More legislation will not make us safe it will just cost us more freedoms and $.

This has been a horrible year for deaths. RIP all riders!!
    Erich-
    2004 SV650S - 8K miles - SOLD
    2003 SV1000S - 15K miles - My new love!

Not saying a government mandate, but as in I don't have one and the more I hear/read about them, and then I read this, I can't help but think that it's the most important thing I need on my bike now. Most people on this board stress safety gear, a helmet is needed, but when you lose control in traffic and get run over by a semi, leathers aren't going to do shit.

and yea, I've never really had head shake at speed, and you could argue that you shouldn't be driving beyond your capabilities. How do you even know what your capabilities are until you have a bad tank slapper? And by then, it could be too late. Not to mention, what happens when you're in traffic and the car infront of you hides a nasty pothole and you have no time to react. A steering damper could be the difference between making it over without much issue, or possibly getting bucked into traffic depending how bad it is
    Last edited by GMR; Sun Aug 11th, 2013 at 08:05 AM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

They are not necessary. If you "need" one you have bigger problems with your setup.
    If it makes you feel better by all means go dump $450-550 on a damper, I'll spend that $ more productively..

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Generic's Avatar

FYI in both cases the riders went into the back of vehicles parked on the highway. Sad as this is, I'm guessing alcohol was involved

http://kdvr.com/2013/08/10/2-killed-...cycle-crashes/

Sucks Rip and be sure to avoid huge objects while riding eh.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMR View Post
    Not saying a government mandate, but as in I don't have one and the more I hear/read about them, and then I read this, I can't help but think that it's the most important thing I need on my bike now. Most people on this board stress safety gear, a helmet is needed, but when you lose control in traffic and get run over by a semi, leathers aren't going to do shit.

and yea, I've never really had head shake at speed, and you could argue that you shouldn't be driving beyond your capabilities. How do you even know what your capabilities are until you have a bad tank slapper? And by then, it could be too late. Not to mention, what happens when you're in traffic and the car infront of you hides a nasty pothole and you have no time to react. A steering damper could be the difference between making it over without much issue, or possibly getting bucked into traffic depending how bad it is
    Oh you read?? Well read this. If you are riding at posted speeds and not doing anything else a damper will do nothing for you. Considering the bikes we ride can break most speed limits in first gear you are hardly ever going to out perform your stock bike on the streets.... if you are obeying the law.

Sad stories but that is life. Rip rider

Blaming this on a lack of a steering damper is almost as bad as blaming a crash on tires. It's never the bike's fault. It's never the deer's fault. It's never the fault of the semi or the sand in the road or the decreasing radius turn. It's ultimately always up to the rider to ride within their limits, the limits of the machine, and the present conditions because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whose "fault" it was if you end up dead.

Head shake is usually the result of a death grip on the bars or un-smooth inputs. Relax and be smooth. If you can't react to a pothole, you're following too closely. If you were to make either of those mistakes, giving it gas would likely get you out of the predicament you put yourself in. I can absolutely guarantee you that if you put that ~$500 for a steering damper into some track time, the enhancement of your skills would make you much safer than bolting a mechanical crutch onto your bike.

Probability says it was excessive speed or alcohol, but in any event, RIP to the riders.