Thread: Great news - I found a job!

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

Great news - I found a job!

Well, kiddos, I found work with Denver Public Schools.

I'll be tutoring some DPS kids in math (my old algebra teacher is rolling in his proverbial grave right now, LOL) and am going to be at the school helping youngins 5 days a week. I start Monday.

Wish me luck. So, now that I've got work and don't feel like such a broke schlub, you guys will start seeing my ancient butt and bike on rides again.

Re: Great news - I found a job!

Good for you man!
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Congrats! Hope you don't have to use a stick on some of those kids...

Congrats! I hope you have good students.

Good for you man.

Member Yearly Supporter rifleshooter's Avatar

Thanks, folks! I'm working at an elementary school, and this is my first time with grade school kiddos. I don't know what funkiness awaits me but I do like working with kids.

Man when my youngest was a 3rd grader I volunteered 2x a wk for an hr. I did that for a cpl months. I had to keep them focus on the subject or it was chaos . That gave me a whole diff perspective on what grade school teachers have to go thru on a daily basis . If i taught, I would rather teach grade schoolers than muddle school or high school fer shure. Not that I have experienced, but kids start to question everything around that age. And that gets old fast.

I just started teaching high school full time, and it's great. Teaching 3D animation, digital storytelling/video editing, multimedia, desktop publishing, and web design is like playing all day. The toughest part is pacing the lessons because we are on a block schedule with classes that last an hour-and-a-half.

When I teach math to kids, I try to use a lot of tactile and visual materials. For addition, subtraction, and multiplication, I use Dixie cups and M&Ms. (3 M&Ms in 2 cups equals 6 M&Ms, so 3 x 2 = 6, etc.) For geometry, I have them cut shapes out of construction paper and label different kinds of triangles, the parts of a right triangle, etc. When you give them something to manipulate, the kids don't even realize that they're learning. They just think they're having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    I just started teaching high school full time, and it's great.
    When I teach math to kids, I try to use a lot of tactile and visual materials. For addition, subtraction, and multiplication, I use Dixie cups and M&Ms. (3 M&Ms in 2 cups equals 6 M&Ms, so 3 x 2 = 6, etc.) For geometry, I have them cut shapes out of construction paper and label different kinds of triangles, the parts of a right triangle, etc. When you give them something to manipulate, the kids don't even realize that they're learning. They just think they're having fun.
    Wait, you have high school kids cutting out triangles?

No - that's a method I use for elementary school kids. But in some cases, you could use it with high school kids too. I have a lot of kids with learning disabilities in my classes. That's why I'm glad I'm teaching technology courses.

There's one girl I teach who has autism and some kind of physical disability where she can't use her hands very well, and using a keyboard is really tough for her. So I showed her the Swype typing app the other day, and she was super excited about it.

Being a good teacher these days means you have to be able to differentiate your lessons and learning goals and adapt them to students who are gifted, average, or struggling, as well as kids who speak English as a second language and/or have learning disabilities.

It's frustrating when people try to compare private schools and public schools because private schools generally have entrance exams to make sure that all their students are above average while public schools are required by law to offer equal education to all students. It's the same thing when people compare US schools to those in China. Chinese schools only educate the best and brightest kids. If you are a below average student in China, your education ends and you go to work in the Nike factory at age 12.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Congratulations on your new job!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson