Thread: PCV and Autotune question

Board Newbie

PCV and Autotune question

Good Morning Forum,

First, some bike stats:
    09 ZX6R
    FMF apex exhaust with link pipe
    Full synthetic and 93 pump gas.
    Colorado Springs(6000 ft) with rides often around 10000ft.

So, bike is paid, this fall/winter is time to start the upgrades. Let me start by saying I don't race, I'm not a totally noobie, I just like to ride my bike and don't mind shelling out some bucks for a little more performance.

I've decided on a PCV and K&N race filter. Since I don't race, can anybody give me some solid info on where to find a good map for our area(elevation) or if it is really worth it to add an autotune or just get a dyno tune. I'm just trying to not waste money on things that I don't need. Again, not racing so not even thinking about quick shift. Also, was planning on changing chain/sprockets. Probably going up +2 or +3 in the back to factor in the equation.

Any info would be really appreciated.

Re: PCV and Autotune question

Maps are largely independent of altitude, as the fuel injection infers air density from temperature and pressure sensors. So, a map that is largely correct for your setup will be equally valid at sea level or 10000 feet. The big advantage of autotune is that it can continuously fine tune the map based on factors other than altitude, such as fuel composition, air filter restriction as the filter gets dirty, and humidity. given that dyno time is $100 an hour on average, the autotune kit becomes a viable alternative, especially if you plan on making changes to your engine tuning.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I installed an Autone PCV on my 07 GSXR 1000 and did a dyno run with Mike at QuikCycles. It works as described and tunes as you ride HOWEVER it doesn't process it fast enough to make live, real time, mapping changes. All mapping adjustments are about 3-5 seconds behind actual throttle inputs. That's ok if you do a lot of steady throttle hwy riding. That would be the exact opposite of riding a Sportbike in the canyons or on the race track. So I removed the PCV and Autotune and had Mike do a true custom map with excellent results. Mike is very familiar with the Autotune system and is a great resource and tuner. Mike Lukachy at QuikCycles (720) 690-9999.
    Lol, this sounds like a commercial. This is my experience, your results may very.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I installed an Autone PCV on my 07 GSXR 1000 and did a dyno run with Mike at QuikCycles. It works as described and tunes as you ride HOWEVER it doesn't process it fast enough to make live, real time, mapping changes. All mapping adjustments are about 3-5 seconds behind actual throttle inputs. That's ok if you do a lot of steady throttle hwy riding. That would be the exact opposite of riding a Sportbike in the canyons or on the race track. So I removed the PCV and Autotune and had Mike do a true custom map with excellent results. Mike is very familiar with the Autotune system and is a great resource and tuner. Mike Lukachy at QuikCycles (720) 690-9999.
    Lol, this sounds like a commercial. This is my experience, your results may very.

So, since you removed the PCV and Autotune, was Mike able to flash the factory ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by Detuned View Post
    So, since you removed the PCV and Autotune, was Mike able to flash the factory ECU?
    Si
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.