Thread: Southies Canyons

Southies Canyons

What's up what's up! Never done much riding south of the deckers run. I'm looking to put a ride together down there some time was wondering about some roads and what you guys run.
    Map I have doesn't show as much as I would like it to but it looks like theres less to ride? I do see some fun routes if its not dirt or is even a road. But
    a few road questions right off the top.
    Pikes peak,when is its open season can you ride it does it cost like a national park?
    Wondering if coming down and riding would be a good way to learn it for the hill climb?
    Also anybody hear they where closing it last week to film some fast and furious scenes?
    Next I see a good camp road 82 looks fun is it pavement? Map just says it a county road.
    Then down to rd 86 south into canon city Good ? Wierd this whole time I always thought it was canyon city.
    Out of Canon city rd 88. Red canyon? Good?
    Into cripple creek down to victor on a really fun looking stretch of 67?
    Little loop back into cripple creek on rd 8 and 82 are these dirt?
    Then just 67 back north I know most that road.
    I also see high park rd further west doesn't look all that twisty though but looks to be a better option then 115 to come south?
    Sorry for the book. Thanks for any help ya'll can give me.!

Senior Member Moderator

Re: Southies Canyons

Quote Originally Posted by One-ops View Post
    Pikes peak,when is its open season can you ride it does it cost like a national park?
    Pikes Peak does have a toll gate. I think it's $12 per person.

Next I see a good camp road 82 looks fun is it pavement? Map just says it a county road. Little loop back into cripple creek on rd 8 and 82 are these dirt?
    Gold Camp Road (County Rd 8 ) is dirt, particularly from Colorado Springs to the Cripple Creek area. There is a small section from 67 to 81 (Lazy S Ranch Road) that appears to be paved. Surprisingly, I haven't ridden that road. I'll go up and check it out and let you know what kind of condition it's in.

Then down to rd 86 south into canon city Good ? Wierd this whole time I always thought it was canyon city.
    That's Phantom Canyon road. Sadly, it's dirt as well.

Out of Canon city rd 88. Red canyon? Good?
    Also Dirt

Into cripple creek down to victor on a really fun looking stretch of 67?
    Yes! That little stretch of road is a total blast! Be mindful of your surroundings though. There are a couple of blind corners, and the road is mainly traveled by mining company vehicles. I wish that road was 100 miles longer, just as soon as you get your heart rate up, the ride is over. Of course, all that means is that it's time to turn around and ride back. Rinse, and repeat.

I also see high park rd further west doesn't look all that twisty though but looks to be a better option then 115 to come south?
    High Park road is a lot of fun despite its appearance on the map. If you haven't taken it yet, I suggest you do.

There are a few roads down here that keep us Southies sane. There could be a lot more if they weren't all dirt. But that's why we're the Dirty South!

Highway 96 between 67 south and Bishop's is nice. The road to Bishop's it's a blast as well. Texas Creek is very fun too.

I had it written down and lost it since I currently don't have laptop access. So here the short version. 115 to penrose and then Florence. Take 67 to wetmoreand then 96. You can do Bishops on the way as described by canezach. Head west to wrstcliffe on 96. Then north to 50. Head east and take 9 to cripple creek and 24 to woodland park. The turn in wrstcliffe is hard to find, I think. May wanna run route counterclock. Stay away from Canon City.

Pikes Peak sucks. Too many tourists and downhill bicycle tours.....

Chocolate Thunder

The ride to Bishops Castle is nice and very entertaining if you stop and check out the man made one rock at a time castle. Climb all the way to the top for more entertainment and make sure to say your prayers before.

Kerry
    Suzuki Gladius 650
    GSXR 750

Taste the rainbow...B*itch
    http://www.pajiba.com/videos/awesome...inbow-btch.php

I'd be down,is skyline drive doable? If its not in the plan, I could break off at a point.

I was afraid that some of those were gonna be dirt. Sounds like a few good rides still though. Thanks Guys!! I'll throw a post up to ride down there soon maybe meet some of u dirty southies.

Had a blast on the Bishops ride but still want ride some more!

I'ts been fun riding down south for sure. Lookin forward to next summer to ride some stuff west. Looks like some nice rides to be planned.